Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2011, 06:03 PM

Default source forr hard to obtain light 17 grain factory

heckupdpc (user name on here of a guy who really helped me out with sourcing the17gr vmax )
Old 10-28-2011, 12:41 PM

Mr. Wenzl graciously sold me 200 of the Hornady 17 grain bullets at an attractive price. A nice looking little 17 caliber, 17 grain boat tail bullet. I really hope that Hornady will see clear to make this offering for us reloaders.

On the outside of the box there is printed "REJECT #8" It has a lone bullet taped to the inside cover of the box and this bullet's polomar tip is NOT colored red, rather it is an opaque cream color. All of the other bullets are fitted with the normal red tip. I do not see any evidence that they are "rejects" They look just fine to my eye.

I should think this bullet will be perfect for the 17 AH and other small capacity cases. I am looking at the 17 Garin cartridge, based on the 30 cal M-1 cartridge and it might be just perfect for this cartridge.

This site a fine place to hang out and receive help. I hope some day I can help others out.

John
Old 10-28-2011, 01:20 PM
Supporting Member

John I taped that one lone bullet to the top of the lid for your viewing pleasure. it came from the same kind of box labeled Reject #16 17072R and had Rem hand written on the boxes. the day i was out there and happened on to these bullets I bought all they had in both red and uhh was it suppose to be green for rem HMR/HM2 ammo....

I have shot the reject ammo with great results. I think it was during one of my 8 tours that I have taken when the tour guide said something to the effect that they pull bullets off the line every so often and check the measurements then go shoot them. If they are out of specs in any way they shut down the machine, go back to where the last recorded good bullet lot and label all these rejects. I think Hornady has such small tolerances that you will never see much of an accuracy issue.

That said over the last 20 years of buying rejects I have had a couple with deformed tips and other oddities but I would call it 1 in 10,000 bullets you’ll ever see even that.

That funny colored tip may be the only reason that bullet was rejected, I don’t buy much rem ammo so no clue as to rems true color….

if I had more i would like to help the rest of you guys out who have asked, sorry

The nice ladies at the front desk recognize me when I walk in… they may not know my name but they know what I come look’n for….

Last edited by GLWenzl; 10-28-2011 at 08:55 PM. Reason: The nice ladies at the front desk recognize me when I walk in… they may not know my name but they know what I come look’n for
Old 10-29-2011, 12:38 AM

Send a message via AIM to 17 Hunter

I can't remember where I got my 200 or so 17 v-maxs, it was a member on here though. They're not blems, they are perfect bullets, brand new still polished

It would be so comforting to know I could get more, unfortunately that's not the case
Old 10-29-2011, 02:39 AM
Supporting Member

Send a message via Yahoo to larryinIA

Has anyone tried Ron Reed? He may have some, or be able to make some.

Larry

American King James Version
Let his days be few; and let another take his office