Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-19-2018, 01:14 AM

Bigfoot907, since you asked for some help (by the way...welcome to the forum), I'd like to add a few comments. The 17 Squirrel seems to be a very good round. I haven't built one myself, but I've watched ray h and his buddy John kill hundreds of sage rats over several years with the 17 Squirrel. The little round is "very" impressive on the GS's well over 200 yds. I've built a couple of 20 Minks though. One of mine is on a Ruger 77/22. The 20 Minks (OAL loaded of approx. 1.630" with a 32 gr V-Max) cycles through the rotary magazine okay, but I'd take a serious look at whether it would work through the Ruger rotary magazine in the Squirrel version (OAL loaded approx. 1.454" with the 20 gr V-Max). The 22 Hornet is about .250" longer case length than even the Mink case. Mink case length is 1.150" and the Squirrel is .960" case length. Just something for you to consider. On another completely off the subject remark...I hauled thousands and thousands of pounds of reds out of the Bristol Bay area in my DC-3 in the 70's and 80's. That was some interesting flying. Miss that ole 3. 410gauge
Old 09-19-2018, 01:26 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot907 View Post
Want to build a .17 Squirrel to shoot ptarmigan and grouse, First post first wildcat. Been reloading for 10 years, got some questions for you fine folks out there. Im in bush Alaska so I need a Gunsmith somewhere? Don't really matter how far away, I called a guy in Anchorage and he never heard of a squirrel haha. Also seems I have a few actions to choose from any suggestions? I'm kinda a Ruger guy so the 77/22 is high on my list, Will the 6 round magazine feed? What are my Magazine fed options?

Please and Thank you

Jeff
Jeff the 17 Squirrel is awesome. I currently have two 17 Squirrels. One is a contender carbine and the other is a build in the 77/22 Hornet.

The 77/22 converted to a 77/17 AH is one of my all time favorites and I prefer it over my CZ hornets. The 2 piece bolt has been a nonexistent issue with any of my four 77/s.

The problem with the 77/s is I could never get a short lil Squirrel to feed from the magazine. Worse yet is it’s a PIA to single feed. I machined two single shot adaptors (one from aluminum and they other from delrin). Neither one worked very well.

If you have your heart set on a Squirrel (that’s good) then defiantly use a CZ Hornet with a SS adaptor or anything but the 77/s.

If you have your heart set on a 77/ then consider a 17 mink or get a CZ 17 HH and down load like what’s been recommended (fwiw I have never ever down loaded anything, just isn’t my thing).

The only other thing I can think of is that the squirrel dies are expensive (as would be most wildcats).

My very good deceased friend purchased a cooper 17 squirrel (after some of my bad influence on him) and he was so surprised how accurate, how far out it would nail a Pd and how much fun it was.

Best of luck and don’t let anyone steal your dream. Go after it and there’s plenty of people here to help you make them come true (and help thin your wallet lol)
Old 09-19-2018, 01:38 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410gauge View Post
Bigfoot907, since you asked for some help (by the way...welcome to the forum), I'd like to add a few comments. The 17 Squirrel seems to be a very good round. I haven't built one myself, but I've watched ray h and his buddy John kill hundreds of sage rats over several years with the 17 Squirrel. The little round is "very" impressive on the GS's well over 200 yds. I've built a couple of 20 Minks though. One of mine is on a Ruger 77/22. The 20 Minks (OAL loaded of approx. 1.630" with a 32 gr V-Max) cycles through the rotary magazine okay, but I'd take a serious look at whether it would work through the Ruger rotary magazine in the Squirrel version (OAL loaded approx. 1.454" with the 20 gr V-Max). The 22 Hornet is about .250" longer case length than even the Mink case. Mink case length is 1.150" and the Squirrel is .960" case length. Just something for you to consider. On another completely off the subject remark...I hauled thousands and thousands of pounds of reds out of the Bristol Bay area in my DC-3 in the 70's and 80's. That was some interesting flying. Miss that ole 3. 410gauge
good advice, we must have been answering at the same time. FWIW Ray h was there that first time Rem pulled the trigger on a 17 Squirrel with a PD in its cross hairs.
Old 09-19-2018, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 410gauge View Post
Bigfoot907, On another completely off the subject remark...I hauled thousands and thousands of pounds of reds out of the Bristol Bay area in my DC-3 in the 70's and 80's. That was some interesting flying. Miss that ole 3. 410gauge
I had the pleasure of offloading 3's and 6's growing up in Bethel my father turned Everts there for years, I started doing the the belly's on DC-6's when I was 11 years old. Appreciate the welcome Jeff
Old 09-19-2018, 01:59 AM

Bigfoot907...yep I flew fish from Bethel, Good News Bay (Platinum), Kotzebue, and King Salmon. I recall Everts. They flew fuel deliveries in a C-46. I flew out of Kenai for more than 20 years. Good luck on your decision on which cartridge. 410gauge
Old 09-19-2018, 12:19 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

Hey GL , you got polish sausage for fingers !!? Or you still got the hippy hippy shakes I single shot load my 77s for 22 lr up to Hornet! That's the way I shoot mine most of the time!
Old 09-19-2018, 01:01 PM

Default 17 squirrel

Built my first 17 squirrel when Todd was pushing them in Small Caliber News years ago. It was on a Contender very accurate little gun. I loved it and still enjoy the squirrel rounds. From experience I agree with Mr.Wenzl on the Ruger build. Would build hornet on it instead. It can be loaded down to whatever your needs. Feeds much better. Good friend tried for years to get squirrel to feed reliable and never did, rechamber to hornet finally. I like the Rugers but for squirrel would use a different gun and do a single shot.
Old 09-19-2018, 02:18 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

The 22 Hornet is what you need! It's the best hunting cartridge of all of them. Shoot high speed loads or cast bullets you'll have a ball with the old Hornet when I called Cooper arms a few years back asking about the 17 22 squirrel they tolde they had hell with that cartridge! I guess that's why they don't make rifles for the squirrel round anymore
Old 09-19-2018, 04:05 PM

Thank you for all the knowledge and advice, I was hoping the squirrel would magazine feed through something but it sounds like I'm SOL. Looks like .17 or .22 Hornet is the way to go, Leaning more towards the .17 for the lighter bullets. 17 grain bullet going 2000fps is darn close to .22lr energy, It will be fun to play around with. We'll I guess no wildcat "THIS TIME", I sure do appreciate all the help and look forward to enjoying the site for years to come.

Thanks Jeff
Old 09-19-2018, 04:24 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

One more thing. Go to Real Guns .com he does s good report on the Ruger 77/22 Hornet!

Tags
17 squirrel, squirrel build