Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2010, 07:11 PM

Default The picture

trying to post the picture.
Old 12-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Supporting Member

this worked, now you can edit the other post if you like. Bet you are anxious to get the stock finished and put on.

Drew
Old 12-23-2010, 10:47 PM
Supporting Member

Default 14 kb

This is the one that Marty did, right? How did it extract, any problem with primer flow into the breechblock firingpin hole?
Old 12-24-2010, 11:36 AM

Default Chuck Miller

Darn, I lost my answer again - okay here goes again.

Yes Marty did the re-barreling of my action. I sent the gun to Vic Samuel and he does the centerfire conversion to perfection so no worry about the firing pin hole, fit or any of that. Vic also squares the face of the action so the barrel shank fits perfectly square to the action. Vic then surface grinds the entire action with 400 grit to remove any small imperfections and the foundary markings.

I sent my PacNor barrel along with the action to Marty. His work is very good indeed. I provided a Martini barrel stub so Marty could measure the barrel shank diameter - .750 of an inch, look over the thread pitch and see how the extractor is machined into the chamber end of the barrel. The fit is so good that one cannot see where the extractor was on the empty fired cases.

I have two Martinis that have the Bob Snap rimless extractors and they require attention to the reloading of one's ammunition, but the original extractor works the best. Vic also did the conversion of my 22 LR extractor to 218 Bee rimed cartridge.

I would not hesitate to use Marty at all. I have another Martini model 13 that will be converted to 20 Jet Ackley Improved and when that time comes around it will be Marty that I will ask to do this work.

Where do you live Chuck? We might try to meet and do some Martini shooting and talking. I am here near our nations capital - DC. More specifically I am in Southern Marlyand.

John
Old 12-24-2010, 04:25 PM
Supporting Member

Default action

Did you have Marty install the barrel first and then have Vic square everything up or other way around? Did you have to supply the reamer?

Hmm...I'm in North Texas. So...if you start heading my way and I head your way after about 12hrs of serious pedal to the metal we should meet somewhere.

Can't wait to see it with the wood, should be a real nice piece.
Old 12-24-2010, 05:10 PM

Default Chuck Miller

I always do the action work first, since Vic Samuel has this down to a fine art I always have him do this type work for me. He has done 4 of the 5 Martinis I own. If I understand his conversion work there is no monkeying around with the bolt height, etc., etc.

Vic drills like a 1/2 inch hole on the same axis as the firing pin through the lenght of the bolt. He then fits a high grade steel plug in the hole. Next find the real center of the barrel shank - then drill a new firing pin hole so the position of the firing pin is dead on with the center. A high strength steel firing pin is fabricated, new spring and all make the conversion perfect. It is this step that must be done right before any build begins.

The truing of the action face is more along the lines of "blue-printing" steps that assist accuracy. The grinding of the action is for beauty, but one destroys the collector value as the foundry markings are gone.

I have not asked Vic to barrel an action because I feel he really isn't keen on building complete rifles. He has done this in the past but I know he likes to do the action work and he does it very well.

I sent my "worked" action to Marty for the barrel work. Marty has the 14 Killer Bee reamer - he ordered it for me at the beginning of this effort.

In addition to this work Marty has also made many things for me. I had a 218Wilson body die, the kind you put in the Wilson trimmer. You see the standard 218 Bee body die will not allow the case to go in far enough after fire forming. So, I sent him my body die and he used the same reamer to cut the die for my chamber. He also modified my Wilson trim length cutter to do 14 caliber brass. He also took a blank reloading die stock and made a reloading die with the same reamer.

Marty will go to great lengths to get you up and running.

John
Old 12-24-2010, 05:29 PM
Supporting Member

Default actions

I've had Vic also do several of mine and I would agree on the chambering part of the project, Marty is set up better to do it. I've got a series of projects set up to go to Vic after the first. I just need to get with Marty on the chambering. I was mostly concerned that Marty understood the in's and out's of working with a Martini. Seems most of the customs I've bought that have been "built" by gunsmiths need work to make a nice finished product. Having one guy do part of it and another do a part can sometimes end up with a mess. Vic has a blueprinting process that really makes a small Martini work well as well as look nice.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jholp View Post
trying to post the picture.
Nice picture now tell me how you done it cause i have failed a dozen times.
Wally
Old 01-31-2011, 11:34 AM

Default Walley,

Go back through the posts and look for the instructions of how to include a picture. There is a very good sequence of events to follow.

I still am not able to post more than one picture per message but I am not giving up.

John
Old 01-31-2011, 03:29 PM
Supporting Member

Would not surface grinding remove some of the hardening on these Martini receivers? Weren't they simply case hardened as opposed to fully hardened......

I'm just looking to learn as I know next to nothing about Martini actions..

Thanks!

CZ 527 Magazine Modification

www.rvbprecision.com