Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-28-2019, 12:30 AM

Default Savage Striker Bolt Head Change

Anybody know if the Hornet rim will work in a Savage 223 Bolt head? I know the case rim is just a bit smaller than 223. Also can I even change out my Magnum bolt head with the 223 bolt head?

Last edited by sshcoyote; 12-28-2019 at 12:32 AM.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:43 AM

Default Striker

To the first question: No
Proper bolt head should be available from PT&G
Not sure about changing from .223 to a magnum bolt head, but I think it would work. You really want to chamber a magnum cartridge in a Striker?
Old 12-28-2019, 02:12 AM

No sir--going the other way magnum to hornet rim. Will check with PT&G thanks.
Old 12-29-2019, 09:32 PM
Supporting Member

Got a bolt head that I had modified for a "Hornet" project that never went anywhere. And, bolt heads can be swapped real easy. Interested?? PM, Mike.
Old 01-03-2020, 03:44 AM
Supporting Member

No problem with the Striker action, just a rifle action with a different stock, trigger, and barrel. Have any for sale? Tom.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:35 PM

I don't want to hi jack Steves thread on the bolt head, but. A few days ago I purchased my first Striker (suckered myself into it because of the dirt cheap price on one that never got used. Yep I know they are notorious for their triggers, I've read everything I can dig up on the net and forums about trigger adjustment. For the life of me I can't get this thing below 3# including friction proofing oils and tw25 on anything that moves. My next step is to try a new wire for the trigger but I haven't been into town yet to get some wire. This one is a first gen manufactured in 1998 according to the s/n. Have any of you Striker experts here discovered any tips, pointers or secrets you might be willing to share with an old guy that can't shoot a 3# trigger. Thanks guys.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdrbrn View Post
No problem with the Striker action, just a rifle action with a different stock, trigger, and barrel. Have any for sale? Tom.
Sorry sir I don't--I think this is the last action I have just sitting around.
Old 01-05-2020, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
I don't want to hi jack Steves thread on the bolt head, but. A few days ago I purchased my first Striker (suckered myself into it because of the dirt cheap price on one that never got used. Yep I know they are notorious for their triggers, I've read everything I can dig up on the net and forums about trigger adjustment. For the life of me I can't get this thing below 3# including friction proofing oils and tw25 on anything that moves. My next step is to try a new wire for the trigger but I haven't been into town yet to get some wire. This one is a first gen manufactured in 1998 according to the s/n. Have any of you Striker experts here discovered any tips, pointers or secrets you might be willing to share with an old guy that can't shoot a 3# trigger. Thanks guys.
Hey Jon, how's it going? I don't have any tricks, but I may have to work this trigger over some. Don't know what it's pulling now.