Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-27-2020, 03:54 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallyant View Post
Makes sense, accept not many ARs in Australia
A mate of mine just gave away 6lb of 223 shells from his tika,
I may give it ago since its free from a few mates here. I do a bit of 1 shot shooting, spot lighting.. and brass catchers are illegal in NSW Australia. you know, to stop law abiding criminals from collecting shells at crime scenes.
so I want some super cheap/free brass for that kind of shooting. Or maybe some kind of legal brass catching setup?
If you are using a bolt action rifle why would you need a brass catcher? I am careful when I extract my brass so I don't lose it, if I was worried about doing it in the dark I would just remove the ejector. That way the extractor would leave the empty in the action so you can pick it out by hand. AS far as brass goes, making itt from once fired 223 works fine. You are making hunting loads not benchrest ammo. Easiest is necking up 17 FB, one pass through the VT sizing die, followed by necking down 221 FB, one pass through VT sizing dies but may require neck trimming. Where you are brass availability and cost is a much bigger consideration than the last .1 of group size so which way you go I think will be determined by what brass you can actually get hold off. Happy New Year
Old 12-27-2020, 10:40 PM
Administrator

I was wondering that too. A cheap, effective brass catcher is a baseball hat, the kind with the hole in the back for adjustment. Hook the adjustment strap over the top turret and let the hat dangle in front if the ejection port
Old 12-27-2020, 11:56 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Rallyant

The problem is when i need to make quick follow up shots. I try to take the left side of the pickup so i can atleast find then on the tray after
I guess with a vargarg ill never miss so that wont be a problem as often

Baseball hat catcher, I love it!

I wander if i should have defiance make me a left eject with a right bolt action so i can put a catcher on my left arm (catchers are only illegal here if attached to the gun)
Old 12-28-2020, 01:28 AM

Another trick, especially for scoped ARs is to to take a child's tee shirt and through the neck, loop each of the two sleeves over the objective and the eyepiece of the scope, so the body of the shirt drops down over the ejection port and drops the spent round straight down onto the ground or the bench.