Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-29-2021, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csterner View Post
I have axed a few ads recently pointing to commercial sellers. There's not much I can do with new/private sellers. Like BCB said, don't buy from them if it's too high or you don't need. If you are in real need, pay the piper. Supply and demand...
Thank you. At least all members are aware of a situation and yes how to handle it. Let them choke on their items. Bill K
Old 03-29-2021, 06:21 PM

I thought I was helping a fellow shooter/friend out a while back. I sold him an item for what it cost me a few years ago. He informed me, boasting on it, that he sold the item for three times what I charged him for it.

I thought I was a fair judge of character, evidently not. Greed can ruin folks.
I have enough for me from now on. When and if I do sell anything, it will be at current replacement cost.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:37 PM
Supporting Member

Default Free market

This past week I sold some cases at what I figured was a fair price - fair based on the going rate of say, last September. I wasn't going to use them, and thought with inventory being non-existent maybe somebody could benefit, and I have no problem with that. Having said that, you can fight for price controls - demand that all primers go for $35/1000, and find that there are NONE available. Or you let the market float, and at least there will be SOME available, at some price. I'm glad that the retailers aren't gouging - but that means the shelves are empty - and I suspect half of what they get is being snapped up by scalpers, which I really don't like. Sadly, I doubt it is going to get any better for the next couple of years - if we're lucky.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:47 PM

I have seen so much stuff, resold at 5x or more than the original price they bought it for lately. I am willing to wager that it is the same guys bitching that they are only allowed to buy 200 bullets at a time. I was at a LGS a couple of weeks ago and he was complaining that they would only sell 100 rounds of .22lr at a time. I mentioned the scalpers and he looked offended. I was really tempted to ask him who he voted for, but I was polite. This is one of the few forums left where in general you won't get shafted, but it's still sad to see it when it does happen.
Old 03-29-2021, 06:49 PM
Supporting Member

It's not just the shooting industry where this is happening. My son is doing an interior finishing in a section of his pole barn for his work shop. OSB (oriented strand board) which is normally between $7-8 per sheet is now over $30 per sheet. (he ended up using finished steel sheeting as it was cheaper than using OSB at current prices) Timber producers are not seeing any price increases, A single utility grade 8' 2X4 is over $7 Not very long ago they were a little over a buck. Copper fittings are ridiculous, He needed a few fittings to finish his heating system. A single 1" 90* copper elbow was over $8 All we can do is make do with what we have or belly up and pay these astronomical prices.

Aaron
Old 03-30-2021, 04:22 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by long shot View Post
It's not just the shooting industry where this is happening. My son is doing an interior finishing in a section of his pole barn for his work shop. OSB (oriented strand board) which is normally between $7-8 per sheet is now over $30 per sheet. (he ended up using finished steel sheeting as it was cheaper than using OSB at current prices) Timber producers are not seeing any price increases, A single utility grade 8' 2X4 is over $7 Not very long ago they were a little over a buck. Copper fittings are ridiculous, He needed a few fittings to finish his heating system. A single 1" 90* copper elbow was over $8 All we can do is make do with what we have or belly up and pay these astronomical prices.

Aaron
...probably due to still rebuilding burned homes in California?

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Old 03-30-2021, 02:12 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSH View Post
I thought I was helping a fellow shooter/friend out a while back. I sold him an item for what it cost me a few years ago. He informed me, boasting on it, that he sold the item for three times what I charged him for it.

I thought I was a fair judge of character, evidently not. Greed can ruin folks.
I have enough for me from now on. When and if I do sell anything, it will be at current replacement cost.
That would piss me off to no end. Unfortunately it has become a full time job for quite a few people. There are apparently guys who have hired teams of others to order or in person purchase stuff that they then re-sell much higher. It has been a good time however to get rid of surplus whatever. We have cleaned out all kinds of basement and garage clutter, it moves quick and goes for top dollar.

Only people I will help out now with low priced stuff are family and those I know well personally.

Last edited by Dean2; 03-30-2021 at 02:15 PM.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:05 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Maybe there should be a period of time and/or number of posts in order for a member to sell anything. Just a thought.

Spot on 100 Message before being able to post to sell gets my vote

ML
Old 03-30-2021, 04:42 PM

I agree they are a problem for honorable folks, but I think Charlie has a rational answer - don't use them if they are excessive. There are scammers everywhere, especially on the net. And who do you believe now? Even reputable firms have amazingly high prices today, like the one I saw for a box of bulk Remington Thunderbolts 22lr for $84.95. Two years ago they were $24.95 at retail.
Old 03-30-2021, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
That would piss me off to no end. Unfortunately it has become a full time job for quite a few people. There are apparently guys who have hired teams of others to order or in person purchase stuff that they then re-sell much higher. It has been a good time however to get rid of surplus whatever. We have cleaned out all kinds of basement and garage clutter, it moves quick and goes for top dollar.

Only people I will help out now with low priced stuff are family and those I know well personally.
I learned the hard way too, Dean2.