Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 07-21-2019, 01:04 PM

I live in WY and shoot whitetail does with 223 using 65gr gameking and it works great. Haven't shot one over 212 though and I will not take a shot that is not perfect but heck when buck season shuts down the farmers will let you hunt doe's in the alfalfa in Dec and they just come running out to eat in the evening and Im proned out with RF and bipod and rear bag. Pick out the 3 fat ones as Im running a can and just lay them down. After the third shot they know something is up. Nosler is supposed to be making a 70gr accubond and i would try that also. I think the TTSX would work great also but I havent tried them.

Good luck
Old 07-22-2019, 12:32 AM

I've never had the need to shoot deer with a .224 cal bullet, but I've heard good things about Norma (0.224") ORYX BONDED BULLETS. Available from Brownell's.
Old 07-26-2019, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
I've never had the need to shoot deer with a .224 cal bullet, but I've heard good things about Norma (0.224") ORYX BONDED BULLETS. Available from Brownell's.
`

Try a Speer 75g Gold Dot``````````````````````````````````````````````` ``````

the last antelope I shot was at 470 yards with a Rem 788 in 223 using a 55g Hornady sp with the cannalure with a muzzle velocity of 3100. Load was 26.5g of Win 748. He flopped at the shot. A couple of years later, I killed two legal does with the same load, and they both flopped, both around 100 yard lung shots.

Last edited by ackleyman; 10-03-2019 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:25 PM

Swift Scirocco II 75 grain would be my choice "if" I used a .224 bullet.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:12 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

barnes ttsx 62 gr and sierra 65 gameking, 70 accubond if you can find them.
Old 08-24-2019, 11:30 PM

Default 75gr BULLETS FOR DEER

I have had great results with barnEs 55 gr ttsx out of my 223 it does put them down
Old 04-13-2020, 04:34 PM

I have a very close friend who delights in using his .22-250 on mule and white tail deer, using the 45gr. TSX at about 3,800fps. Bang/flop in the middle of the fields with double lung and heart shots both. With his .270 and 7x57, they always made the bush line from the middle of the fields, same shots. Not with the .224" 45gr. TSX. The one that did move out of his tracks after being shot, took the little bullet in the left front chest, the bullet exited in front at about the lest rib on the right side. That one stepped a tight little circle, 3 or 4 steps to the right and dropped.

Last edited by Daryl; 04-13-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Old 04-30-2021, 09:57 PM

im not a fan of .22 caliber and big game. Others here perhaps have more experience. I've taken 4 Antelope with a 8" twist Swift. All four died. 3 impressive one shot kills. On the fourth, it made a mess of meat, and had to shoot him 3 times.
Old 05-29-2021, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
I have a very close friend who delights in using his .22-250 on mule and white tail deer, using the 45gr. TSX at about 3,800fps. Bang/flop in the middle of the fields with double lung and heart shots both. With his .270 and 7x57, they always made the bush line from the middle of the fields, same shots. Not with the .224" 45gr. TSX. The one that did move out of his tracks after being shot, took the little bullet in the left front chest, the bullet exited in front at about the lest rib on the right side. That one stepped a tight little circle, 3 or 4 steps to the right and dropped.
Yeah, apparently the 22 Hornet load book I have shows how even some hunters associated with the big bullet companies have used the hornet with TSX bullets to take African game. There's a YouTube channel of a fellow in South Africa who took three antelope on camera with a hornet using 45gr soft points (handloads) from distances of up to 160m. Head, neck, and lung shots. They dropped like any other game hit with larger calibers. If he didn't tell you it was a hornet you wouldn't know the difference.

Since the deer down here in Florida aren't that big, I plan on using my K Hornet on them one of these days. I'm using a monolithic, 35gr hammer bullet. The makers of the bullet design them and have verified them to work even on deer sized game. I'm running them around 3500fps and plan to keep things close to 100yds, maxing a bit further if I get a deer that ain't moving much. Mostly I want to use them to hunt turkey down here. They behave like GS Custom bullets, Mk318 mod 0, etc. This makes lung shots devastating. Lung shots also give you greater margin for error than a head or mech shot. They also contain no lead, so you never have to worry about eating it!

Anyone using a .224 caliber rifles should look into Hammer bullets or GS Custom's international branches. They behave in a way that allow them to work against all types of targets...varmints, predators, and even (larger) edible game like turkey and deer.
Old 06-07-2021, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_the_Tinkerer View Post
Yeah, apparently the 22 Hornet load book I have shows how even some hunters associated with the big bullet companies have used the hornet with TSX bullets to take African game. There's a YouTube channel of a fellow in South Africa who took three antelope on camera with a hornet using 45gr soft points (handloads) from distances of up to 160m. Head, neck, and lung shots. They dropped like any other game hit with larger calibers. If he didn't tell you it was a hornet you wouldn't know the difference.

Since the deer down here in Florida aren't that big, I plan on using my K Hornet on them one of these days. I'm using a monolithic, 35gr hammer bullet. The makers of the bullet design them and have verified them to work even on deer sized game. I'm running them around 3500fps and plan to keep things close to 100yds, maxing a bit further if I get a deer that ain't moving much. Mostly I want to use them to hunt turkey down here. They behave like GS Custom bullets, Mk318 mod 0, etc. This makes lung shots devastating. Lung shots also give you greater margin for error than a head or mech shot. They also contain no lead, so you never have to worry about eating it!

Anyone using a .224 caliber rifles should look into Hammer bullets or GS Custom's international branches. They behave in a way that allow them to work against all types of targets...varmints, predators, and even (larger) edible game like turkey and deer.
Varified ?? You sure but faith in some writer/publications. It is all in where you place the bullet, not matter what it is. Hell do you realize how many have been killed the the lowly 22LR in years past, depression and hards times ?
One of the best and standard bullets for .224 calibers is the old tried and true 60 Grain Nosler Partition.