Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-29-2019, 06:55 PM

Default 22 K hornet trim/form die

Somewhere in my travels I came up with a Redding K hornet trim/form die and cannot figure what its good for. Have always fire the standard hornets in the K chamber and presto 22K hornet.
It doesn't form anything and have attempted to use it as a trim die on a formed case but the neck isn't long enough. Apparently the shoulder prevents any of the neck from exiting the die. Have attempted to run an unformed hornet case through but it won't exit either and does nothing in the way of forming.
Have used the 17 hornet trim/form die for many years and it does what it is supposed to. Anyone any ideas what is good for?
Bob
Old 08-29-2019, 11:06 PM

A paper weight ?
Old 08-30-2019, 12:11 AM

I think over the years we come to find out that there is a lot of ways to do things. Some come from expediency, ease of method, and finally perhaps those that fuss and fume over every minute detail.

Guess we are all different in thought processes, kinda nice to have that right.

I am afraid my number of form dies over the years is fairly small, but where they are required, what a plus they are.

I have always fireformed my K hornets, sometimes the quality of brass nips me a little, but usually ok cases are procured. Guess too, that the concepts of how to headspace an improved hornet is out there in droves, even on this forum.......rim or the shoulder...........and how to get there's.

I could see a fellow controlling headspace to his liking by the false shoulder method, then running into the form die until it clanks over. Probably is the berries trying to get the rim and shoulder touch at the same time huh?

If you have a necksizer or form die that does not do the basic function, guess you got a paperweight for conversations.

All kind of toys out there I reckon.
Old 08-30-2019, 01:20 AM

I think there are a few early variants of K Hornets and I seem to remember one may be a bit shorter?
Old 08-30-2019, 03:05 AM

I did not think of using it to create a false shoulder, good call so it is useful!