Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-22-2021, 04:30 PM
Supporting Member

Have you looked for some 222 Rem brass in your AO recently? I've always been able to find 222 Rem brass with just a bit of looking. Last time was maybe 2 months ago when I looked for a friend who needed some. We found 300 rounds packaged Remington the first day we looked. A local dealer told me he can keep it on the shelf regularly because no one ever asks for or looks for it normally.

I've shot Remington brass for years in several 222 Rem rifles, and numerous other rifles, and I've never had a bit of a problem with any of it. Some brass prep involved, yes, but no problems. Brass prep is just something that I do whenever I buy new brass for any cartridge. It can always have slightly damaged/not round necks, etc. just from how its shipped now days.

I've never had any packages with several extreme weights or any of the other "horrors" that some say they have seen. Same same with WW brass shipped in plastic bags. Brass prep is just part of the game these days......

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 01-22-2021, 04:49 PM

When you can buy Lapua 222 brass for $58 per 100 that requires little to no prep, is as good as it gets and lasts forever, unless someone is just looking for a project and a way to use up their free time I don't understand why you'd want to bother forming it from 223 cases. Even if you got a bunch of 223 cases for free you have to figure your time is worth something not to mention the quality of free or even cheap brass typically isn't that great. In the long run I don't think it pencils out.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:45 PM

Wiserfool and Drover - thanks.

Once fired Federal .223 (by the RCMP) is all over our in-town range. In a test I made a few years back, it re-forms to .222 Rem, in one simple pass in my Hornady FL die, in both the Lyman and my Hornady presses. Easy peezie.
I was just curious about the do-nut, if there is one.
It also forms easily into .17Rem. in one pass, albeit they are a bit short.
Old 01-22-2021, 05:59 PM

I would agree with BCB that 222 Rem brass has been pretty easy to find, even during these crazy times we are seeing now. I have a bunch of it, mostly Winchester and have had no problems using Winchester or Remington brass through all the years I have reloaded and shot this caliber (about 41 years now).

I don't shoot my 222 as much as I used to but it sure is a fun caliber to shoot and easy to load for.
Old 01-22-2021, 06:08 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
When you can buy Lapua 222 brass for $58 per 100 that requires little to no prep, is as good as it gets and lasts forever, unless someone is just looking for a project and a way to use up their free time I don't understand why you'd want to bother forming it from 223 cases. Even if you got a bunch of 223 cases for free you have to figure your time is worth something not to mention the quality of free or even cheap brass typically isn't that great. In the long run I don't think it pencils out.
Good post, IMO.

Finding Lapua brass on the shelf is a bit tougher in my AO as it normally goes quickly, so I normally have to order it from the internet.

Lapua is great brass for any application, but I normally use it for larger calibers as I'm not just a small caliber shooter. I like "normal" stuff too from the 22-250 on up to "ouch"... And I much prefer buying it locally if possible rather than ordering it from the internet, especially in the modern covid era. Just my take........

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Old 01-22-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B23 View Post
I agree with what you are saying. There is plenty of Starline .222 rem available right now at $95 per 250. But I have a large quantity of .223/5.56 cases stashed away. I like being more self sufficient in my reloading. I can make my own .224 bullets too which definitely doesn't compute in a cost plus labor discussion. I'm retired & at home & I'm undaunted by a menial labor, brass forming project. I hope I may learn something!

Thanks for your replies!
Old 01-22-2021, 06:40 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pertnear View Post
I agree with what you are saying. There is plenty of Starline .222 rem available right now at $95 per 250. But I have a large quantity of .223/5.56 cases stashed away. I like being more self sufficient in my reloading. I can make my own .224 bullets too which definitely doesn't compute in a cost plus labor discussion. I'm retired & at home & I'm undaunted by a menial labor, brass forming project. I hope I may learn something!

Thanks for your replies!
UGH..!!

Like you, I am retired and I make my own 20 caliber bullets, but I find it to be one of the most boring and repetitive tasks that I ever undertook as far as my life is concerned. I only do it because I like the resulting bullet far better than anything I can find on dealer shelves. Same with extra effort reloading chores.

Since I've been retired since age 55 in 2004, I've found lots of useful and productive ways to occupy my life. None of them involve unnecessary reloading stuff unless I can't find any other option.

I guess that everyone's mileage can be widely different on the same topic. Good luck with your Project.

-BCB

Old 01-22-2021, 06:51 PM

Although I buy brass, like most do. I also like to be able to form and re-create my own.
And the way it is going with the government and the possible new/commie restrictions and bans that will come out, plus the short supply on the market (i.e. out of stock) and therefore I am able to continue to shoot and have fun and enjoyment with my rifles and such.
And forming brass is not a chore, when the snow is blowing, 4ft deep and you really can not get out shooting anyway. Good way to spend some time, warm, cozy and working on things like that.
Old 01-22-2021, 09:03 PM

I have not done it "yet", but have thought about it a lot. I guess i take that back, I did run a couple of pieces through for fun, and they looked good. I bought 5k pieces of 5.56 LC unfired, demilled from Pat's reloading back in the 90's for .02-.03 each, I don't remember for sure, but back then it was dirt cheap. I also have enough WW bagged .223 to last a lifetime, the old stuff, that was actually good brass, that I used when I competed in highpower with an AR. I have 500pc of .222 brass, but cringe when I loose one in the grass. I kind of want to do a few hundred just for that use, so I can focus on what I am shooting and not where the brass lands. I also have a Gracy trimmer, so I can trim the brass in the time it takes to sharpen a pencil. It's kind of ironic that I can spend what I spend on rifles and scopes and barrels and triggers, but am worried about loosing brass?
Old 01-22-2021, 09:09 PM

I agree with Bill 100%.I has formed over 10,000 rounds for 9 different rifles from 17 Spartan up 222 using LC 5.56 brass. I enjoy every aspect of it including neck turning. Winter time really sucks around here.
Try it ,you'll like it.
Dan