Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-09-2021, 12:49 PM

Default Tight Neck 222 to Standard Neck Question?

I have a tight neck 222, neck at .239-.240 and it is a real PITA to have to turn the necks....the guy who had Harold Broughton build this rifle several years ago thought he had a bench rest quality gun......sadly is never was that and I knew it when I acquired it, so no disappointments there. It does shoot very very well, sub quarter inch easily.....great crow, PD or regular varmint gun. Just no need to go through all that neck turning to shoot crows and groundhogs.

So, seated various bullets in WW, Lapua, Rem brass and measured the OD, and the WW is about .248 and the largest is the Lapua at .2500x. SAMMI spec is .253. Normally I get a reamer with the neck dimension about .002 larger than the OD of the neck with the seated bullet....which in this case would be .252, but since the SAMMI spec is .253, any reason not to just get a standard match quality reamer and open the neck up by .013 from the existing .240 to .253?

Let me know your thoughts on this, as I'm just going to use this mostly as a crow-PD shooter.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-09-2021, 01:05 PM

Is .253 the SAMMI spec for the max chamber neck or is it the max cartridge neck and .255 the SAMMI chamber neck?
Old 03-09-2021, 01:37 PM

Unless you want to just get a chamber reamer ive heard of guys getting chucking reamers just to open up necks and you can also get a just a neck reamer. Check 4-D
Reamer rentals they may have one.
If you get a chamber reamer I would set it back 1 turn not all reamers are dimensional the same so it probably wouldn't just open up the neck if that's just what your trying to achieve.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:44 PM

Just talked to Pete at PGT and they have a neck reamer for $76 to accomplish this with. he says it is a very common thing guys have done as they get tired of neck turning everything. Am ordering the neck reamer as soon as they call back and confirm that they have the reamer in stock.
Steve
Old 03-09-2021, 01:50 PM

Please don't take this as trolling or ragging on you, but you have a rifle that easily shoots sub .250 and you want to mess with it? While I understand and agree that neck turning can/ is a pia, depending on how much you shoot it at one setting, you could use the same 200, or whatever pieces of brass for a long time. "If" you do decide to have it reamed to a larger neck size, and you want the desired .002 neck clearance, you ought to buy 500-1000 pieces of what ever brass your going use first so you don't have looser necks in the future. I would suggest that you take a look at the 21st Century neck turning setup and compare prices of having your neck reamed out. I actually just found the 21st Century neck turner now, looking for a power neck turner, to answer your post. There is a vid on the accurateshooter site, and he is turning necks in a few seconds. I want one of those!
Old 03-09-2021, 01:50 PM
Supporting Member

Are you located anywhere near me? If you rent a reamer, I would be glad to help you fix the chamber, got the T-handle, lube and a bit of experience doing that sort of thing. Would recommend that you use a reamer spec'd for Lapua brass ( .377 at the .200 datum ) to avoid the dreaded click.
Old 03-09-2021, 01:53 PM

Joe, I have a great riflesmith very close to where I live in Southwest MO....and yes you are correct to do the neck for the Lapua as it is the largest. Thanks for your offer of help, much appreciated!
Steve
Old 03-09-2021, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
Are you located anywhere near me? If you rent a reamer, I would be glad to help you fix the chamber, got the T-handle, lube and a bit of experience doing that sort of thing. Would recommend that you use a reamer spec'd for Lapua brass ( .377 at the .200 datum ) to avoid the dreaded click.
Joe, please tell me more on the reamer spec'd for the Lapua brass, and the dreaded click....I am ignorant on this.
Thanks,
Steve
Old 03-09-2021, 03:46 PM
Supporting Member

Lapua is not only a little thicker in the neck but also a little bigger in the back end. If you get it too tight the FL die can't resize adequately to prevent the development of a too-tight situation, especially if you shoot warm to hot loads.
Just look for a reamer with .377 at the .200 datum and you will be fine for any eventuality. You might discuss this with your smith for his recommendation since he'll be doing the work.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:48 AM

Lightbulb Before........

......opening up a perfectly good chamber.......

Check the neck wall thickness T.I.R. of the factory virgin brass you intend to use in the planned "opened-up" chamber neck area.

Typically, one will find that factory brass has a run-out that is 10 to 20 times greater than what proper neck turning will provide.

These dimensional differences may change your mind.

Hope this helps.

Kevin