Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 03-21-2021, 01:19 AM

Default Looking for some 20 Practical loads

Hi,

Thanks Charlie for getting me on this forum...I've been trying to register on here for a few weeks.

Anyway, I'm thinking about building a 20 Practical and this site seems to be the place for this caliber.

I have the following powder on hand and I'm hoping I can get some loads. I have no issues trying to look for other powders, but this is what I have in stock.

CFE223
BL-C2 1lb
TAC 1lb
Long Shot
Lil Gun

I am really hoping to get some CFE223 loads as I have a bunch of this powder.
I will probably go with Nosler 32gr, Berger 35gr or 39gr bullets. Nosler 32gr seem to be the least expensive and available.

I'm having issues locating Redding S type FL sizer die as well. I believe I'd just need a .235 bushing? I've never loaded for a "wildcat" so any suggestions would be appreciated.

I think I'm going to go with one of Rich's barrels in 20" as I want to use my suppressor and I don't want the rifle with suppressor to be too long.

https://ritchsprecisionguns.com/prod...ber-24-length/

I looked at the BHW barrel, but they told me it will be close to a year and BHW isn't exactly fast with their turn around times.
Old 03-21-2021, 03:28 AM

I already did a search on here and didn't see anything about CFE223 powder, hence me starting the thread.

Old threads really don't help me because many of the powders that are used in the 20 Practical loads were when powders were easier to purchase.

Beside, if people just did a search, why would we need to start new threads? If you didn't want to help...why post about searching? I've been on the internet since 96ish, so I can figure out how to do a search. Heck, I also belong to PM and no one there used CFE223 powder in 20 Practical loads, which brought me to this forum. This forum seemed to have more 20 Practical owners/reloaders.
Old 03-21-2021, 03:38 AM

A lot of people use 20 Tactical loads, even with CFE 223 for loading ( use start loads and work up) for the 20 practical.
Old 03-23-2021, 11:01 PM

My thread has nearly 2,500 views and only two post and the first post was removed. This site is so welcoming and helpful. Only took me about three weeks to try to join this site.
Old 03-24-2021, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
My thread has nearly 2,500 views and only two post and the first post was removed. This site is so welcoming and helpful. Only took me about three weeks to try to join this site.
Just do some more searching of loads for 20 practical and 20 tactical loads and you will find some that use the powder/s you want.
Then work up from start loads and play safe and sane.
You will learn to take in advice and also learn which and what direction to go and have fun reloading.
Many suppliers have manuals and load data for sale, and often via googling loads data, for free. Spend more time on your PC and you will locate it.
Old 03-24-2021, 02:14 PM

Default 20 Practical

If you execute a search for “20 Practical loads CFE” on THIS site you will get a listing of (at least) 103 threads. You WILL have to read them to locate the information you are looking for.

Unless you are wanting someone to search and read the threads for you??

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member

Last edited by Gary in Illinois; 03-24-2021 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:40 AM

Welcome,
Hornady has 20 Tactical on their reloading site so that should give you a good powder reference. 6mmbr.com has an article "loading for Warren's 20 Practical" that should help you. Just google it and you'll find it. People with much more knowledge than I say the two are very closed capacity wise. I shoot a 20 Tactical, settled on 24 grains of H322. It also shot Varget very well. Both in the 1/2 inch range at 100 yards. Good luck.

Last edited by rbreyley; 05-27-2021 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-27-2021, 02:24 PM

I have had 2 Practicals and they both shot H-4895 and Benchmark never shot any thing butt the 39-40 gr bullets

Re-chambered 204 w/12" twist

Jim
Old 05-27-2021, 02:48 PM

Another decent source on 20 Practical load and info is by clicking on the 20 cal shown on the left side of the opening page of Accurate Shooter site.
You don't have to be a signed on member to pull it up and can read away.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:21 AM
Supporting Member

I really like ram shot tack with the 40 grain bullets. But I’m right next to my low data right now hopefully be home this weekend to get it. But as others of stated you can use 20 tack loads as a guide… Ramshot/Accurate list some in the Lord manual

https://www.accuratepowder.com/wp-co....0-Web-REV.pdf