Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-02-2022, 04:32 PM
Supporting Member

Default Tipped vs Softpoint vs HP

The 'fur friendly' thread got me thinking. On flesh'n'blood is there a consistent performance difference between the three? There's folks who like GameKings for Bambi but I don't. Nosler has been calling the BT a 'deer' bullet for a while, now has the AB for 'big stuff'.
For vermin and predators, can one say HP are just for 'crowbait'. I have always thought the trend for tipped bullets was initially a marketing push for higher bc and then play catch up in performance. An old Speer manual says FMJ for pelts but I don't know if they still promote those. Just wondering if it's all trial and error.
Old 01-02-2022, 06:23 PM

FMJ not legal to hunt with in many areas, not safe in most areas. Bullet construction is often determined by caliber/cartridge and what it will be used for. I don't run tipped bullets hunting with my 17 rem. I do use them in my 22-250. Bullet selection is more limited in some calibers, which doesn't help.
Old 01-02-2022, 06:42 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

i shoot all three and have had success with them all. i do not shoot fmj's because i don't like trailing critters. you can have failures with any of them and i doubt the polymer nose cone make it to target anyway.
had a 50 gr balistictip blow up on the side of a coyote, blew all the hair and skin off from the front shoulder to his flank. he looked like i had skinned him. lesson learned don't shoot raking shots with a 220 swift with 50 gr bat's at 4000+fps. i don't take raking shots but sometimes they whirl just as you pull the trigger and that what you end up with.
have had excellent luck with barnes TTSX on deer with the blue tip.
Old 01-02-2022, 07:32 PM

My choice on the OP is that it all depends on the bullet construction and the velocity. I would agree with foxhunter, I have used all of them, all of them worked well when applied/used correctly.
Old 01-02-2022, 11:12 PM

I've had my best luck on coyotes with the good old Hornady 55gr SP in a 12 twist 22-250 and now an 8 twist 223 AI. I agree the bullet, cartridge and intended use matter most in choosing, but as a generalisation, my experience would lead me to choose SP, then HP, the tipped.
Old 01-03-2022, 12:55 AM

For coyotes in .22 caliber, the only tipped I've had solid luck with is noslers blips.
As for hollowpoints, I've tried about every one but never gave them a fair shake because one I started shooting Sierra 55 grain gameking, my mind was settled.

I would (think) the Barnes ttsx would be good if they were accurate but I've not tried them.
Old 01-03-2022, 01:11 AM

the ttsx bullet have been very accurate in all my rifles i have tried. one thing, you will have an exit hole, just not a large one unless the bullet catches a bone on it's way out.
will agree the nosler bat's do work well and are tougher than the v-maxes.

if i were fur hunting i would be shooting my 17 remington on coyotes and 17 mach iv on fox.
Old 01-03-2022, 01:34 AM

My go_to fur rifle is a .17_204 shooting Nagel 30's.
Frontal/broadside shots are a thing of beauty.
Old 01-03-2022, 04:18 AM

i still have some berger 30's i used on coyotes, love the jaw drop on those frontal shots. side shots will often result in get well whirls, so i put a quick follow up shot in them. they usually don't go far but i don't walk any farther than i have to these day's bad knees and all.
has anyone shot any with the 17 cal. 25 gr vmax? I would think it would be a thumper in a bigger 17. my past rifles had the wrong twist to stabilize them, it requires a 1-9 i think.
Old 01-03-2022, 06:13 AM

My dad shoots the 25gr vmax in his 17ah. He's killed a few coyotes with it. He was quite impressed. DRT.