Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 10-13-2017, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Pender, any details to what was done with the two floor plates.
Ray h, I'm not quite sure what you are asking. For the Kimber build, you've seen the floorplate in closed position; here beside it is the floorplate in open position.

The serrated latch releases the floorplate and the detachable magazine falls out. The magazine surround that the gunsmith made enables the magazine to be held in its proper position with respect to the receiver opening.

The gunsmith fashioned two of these for me--one for this Kimber and another for a second Kimber 82A in .22 WMR which was similarly customized, this work taking place a number of years ago. The gunsmith made these bottom-metal units up from scratch.

As for the second hinged floorplate/bottom metal--the one going on to the Sako project--here again is a picture, with the pink cutout showing the approximate size of the floorplate (although it will be little smaller than the pink cutout). It will be on this floorplate that I'll have the engraver (also the stocker) engrave a squirrel scene. The rifle is a Sako P94S in .22LR, and in keeping with Sako's tradition of putting (sometimes stylized) engravings of caliber-appropriate animals on the floorplates of their deluxe models, the squirrel seemed like the natural for this rifle, which will be an all-out .22LR hunting rifle.

This bottom-metal unit is different from those on the Kimbers in that it has the floorplate release in the trigger bow, like what you find on may top-grade hunting rifles. The gunsmith is reworking the Ted Blackburn unit that is used on many Win. 52 custom projects. When finished, it will operate in the same way that the hinged floorplate works on the Kimbers.

Not sure there's much more I can say.

Last edited by South Pender; 10-13-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Old 10-13-2017, 10:30 PM
Supporting Member

Pender, I've been thinking of a hinged floor plate for a CZ 527. The front of the magazine is very close to the front rec'r screw. I was thinking that the floor plate would hold the magazine in place( like you're doing) doing away with the CZ mag release. I was thinking of hinging the floor plate at the rear instead of the front as normally done. I like your rifles design. Are the Blackburn's available for the 52's?
Old 10-13-2017, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray h View Post
Pender, I've been thinking of a hinged floor plate for a CZ 527. The front of the magazine is very close to the front rec'r screw. I was thinking that the floor plate would hold the magazine in place( like you're doing) doing away with the CZ mag release. I was thinking of hinging the floor plate at the rear instead of the front as normally done. I like your rifles design. Are the Blackburn's available for the 52's?
Ray h, I think the Blackburn units are still available for the 52. It appears that Swift Bullet Co. purchased the Blackburn Bottom Metal company and are continuing to make these units. Here's the link:

https://www.swiftbullets.com/pages/b...winchester-m52

I'd be interested in seeing your work on this for your CZ as it proceeds. Best of luck!
Old 10-14-2017, 03:41 PM
Supporting Member

Just a couple of other things about Cooper barrels. A number of years ago Cooper used Shilen match barrels before they went to the Wilson barrels. And, you won't find Wilson barrels in any equipment lists because they have not been sold to the general public from what Cooper customer service told me, and I haven't ever seen them advertised. In the past year or so I have seen Wilson barrels advertised for sale, but can't remember who had them nor whether they were blanks or AR barrels.
Old 10-14-2017, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJoe View Post
Just a couple of other things about Cooper barrels. A number of years ago Cooper used Shilen match barrels before they went to the Wilson barrels. And, you won't find Wilson barrels in any equipment lists because they have not been sold to the general public from what Cooper customer service told me, and I haven't ever seen them advertised. In the past year or so I have seen Wilson barrels advertised for sale, but can't remember who had them nor whether they were blanks or AR barrels.
Brownells stock a few, and this company, Ragged Hole Barrels, offer them in a number of bore sizes and in two contours.

https://raggedholebarrels.net/collec...wilson-barrels

On their website, they indicate that they buy the various bore sizes/contours in lots of at least 100 from Wilson. The typical price is $160.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:17 PM
Supporting Member

Pender, I thought Swift only did Mauser and Mod 70's. That's not unreasonable for a 52 magazine/ floor plate. As for the CZ I'm only at the stage of scaling it out on paper to get some ideas. Can't afford to turn one of these custom metal guys loose to create one for a CZ, would cost more than the gun. I like the classic lines of your 243. Wish I had that level of skill doing stock work.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:04 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Pender View Post
Brownells stock a few, and this company, Ragged Hole Barrels, offer them in a number of bore sizes and in two contours.

https://raggedholebarrels.net/collec...wilson-barrels

On their website, they indicate that they buy the various bore sizes/contours in lots of at least 100 from Wilson. The typical price is $160.
That does it. I can't handle anymore...........

The only way to resolve this to give me peace of mind is to give all of my POS Coopers away to a good home.

There's just one catch......whoever takes the Coopers has to take my wife too. She's not as young as she used to be but she's still pretty high maintenance and worth every penny most of the time.

The first PM to me stating "I'll take the entire package" by time stamp gets some obviously worthless rifles and a good but not always well-mannered wife (she's a red head).

DISCLAIMER: It might take me a few months to break the news to her, so don't plan on shooting anything new by early next week.... I'll have to pick the right time so I'm not unexpectedly out on the street some evening....

A friend to all - BCB

PS: Its good to see that ACGG smiths are still turning out good work. I thought by now that maybe all of the really good ones had died off or taken janitorial jobs. Its been a few years since I used one to build me a complete rifle, so I wasn't sure.

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 10-15-2017, 12:39 AM

BCB-
Would you consider trades?
Old 10-17-2017, 11:21 PM

I have been following this thread in regards to the OP's "less than stellar barrels" comment.

Since the subject has drifted into rimfire I thought I would post some 57M 22 lr targets shot with the "less than stellar Wilson barrels". If a barrel is truly "less than stellar" IMO it will show up even more in a 22 lr barrel than a centerfire barrel.

Yesterday was an absolutely perfect day for bench shooting some groups.
All groups are 5 shot groups - 5 five shot groups on each target
Conditions were dead calm but I still put out wind flags and spinners.
Temperature was 60.
16 Oct groups sun was directly overhead no clouds.
17 Oct groups sun directly overhead but with high thin clouds.
Scopes on both rifles is Leupold VX-3 6-18x40, targets shot at 18X.
Groups were shot from a Caldwell Rock rest and a Protektor rear bag.
The targets were shot at a measured 50 yds.
These targets were shot on my own private range which I have been shooting for a great many years and as a consequence I am well aware of conditions and when to shoot.
I shot my LVT and Jackson Hunter on the 16th and since today was another nice day with similar conditions I shot the LVT again to try to replicate yesterdays groups.

I do have some copies of some of my Cooper 223 and 22/250 groups that I will post at another time, they too have "less than stellar Wilson barrels" on them.