Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 12-21-2017, 11:17 AM

Default TRAIL BOSS - Need another powder

Hi,

Over here in the UK we are about to be subjected to a more or less complete ban on US powders being imported into the EU due to none compliance with the new " EU - REACH Regulations )". Apparently there is a chemical in it and most other US powders that the EU doesn't like.
I have been using Trail boss in my 22-250AI XP with excellent results with 50 grn Nosler BT's @ 2150 fps. Also use it in 17FB and 222REM.
The importers will not import any more US powders, as after they cannot sell it after June 18.
So I need another light load powder that performs similar to Trail Boss in a rifle case, Hodgdon say they are not going re-formulate this powder and they don't have a compliant alternate.

Anyone any suggestions, have heard VIT TIN STAR mentioned, but not found any references to low load rifle loads.
G
Old 12-25-2017, 07:04 PM
Supporting Member

Can you not just buy a few pounds while it is still available, even if you have to get a few buds to help. As far as I know there is no reasonable sub for Trail Boss unless you go back to using pistol powders to make sub loads.

With you guys leaving the EU, why will you still be subject to their stupid import rules?
Old 12-25-2017, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Can you not just buy a few pounds while it is still available, even if you have to get a few buds to help. As far as I know there is no reasonable sub for Trail Boss unless you go back to using pistol powders to make sub loads.

With you guys leaving the EU, why will you still be subject to their stupid import rules?
Last weekend I rang around about 30 stores and managed to secure a few tubs that that will keep me going a couple of years, just putting off the evil day from one shop at the other end of the country and found another shop with just one tub in Scotland.

Now Most shops have already sold out of Varget, H4350 etc as well.

As far as EU rules I wouldn't be surprised if they don't just write all the EU rules into the new UK law on block to be able to continue trading with them after.
I did wonder about H4895 but I think that has gone as well.

Here is a list from Hodgdon of compatible powders that;s if the importers will import them.

The following propellants supplied to the E.U. by Hodgdon Powder Company are compliant to the requirements of REACH Registration:

BRAND Powder Name
Hodgdon H110
Hodgdon HP38
Hodgdon HS6
Hodgdon Leverevolution
Hodgdon Superformance
Hodgdon Titegroup
Hodgdon TiteWad
Hodgdon CFE 223
Hodgdon CFE Pistol
Hodgdon CFE BLK
Hodgdon US869
Hodgdon 700X
Hodgdon 800X
Hodgdon CLAYS
Hodgdon INTERNATIONAL
Hodgdon UNIVERSAL
Hodgdon LIL-GUN
Hodgdon LONG SHOT
Hodgdon PYRODEX 50 CALIBER PELLETS
Hodgdon PYRODEX 44 CALIBER PELLETS
Hodgdon PYRODEX RS AND P
Hodgdon PYRODEX SELECT
Hodgdon TRIPLE SEVEN 50 CALIBER PELLETS
Hodgdon TRIPLE SEVEN 45 CALIBE RPELLETS
Hodgdon TRIPLE SEVEN MAGNUMS
Hodgdon TRIPLE SEVEN FFG and FFFG granular
IMR IMR4166
IMR IMR4451
IMR IMR4955
IMR IMR7977
IMR IMR Red
IMR IMR Green
IMR IMR Blue
IMR IMR Target
IMR IMR Unequal
IMR WHITE HOTS
Winchester 231
Winchester 296
Winchester AutoComp
Winchester Super-Target
Winchester Super-Handicap
Winchester Super-Field

G
Old 12-26-2017, 03:36 AM

Default Universal Clays

A couple of years ago I needed to fireform some cases for a wildcat that is close to the size of your 22-250AI. My .22/38-55 holds about 41 gr of H4350 under a 55 gr bullet but I didn't want to use my good powder, primers and bullets to fireform. I had a lot of Universal Clays, 55 gr bulk bullets and large pistol primers so I started with about 8 grains and worked up till the shoulders formed completely. 11.0 gr gave me about 2200 fps out of a 25" barrel and well formed shoulders. I was getting 1" 10-20 shot groups with my Ruger No.3.
I don't think it was position sensitive but don't remember for sure if I tested that.
Dave
Old 12-27-2017, 05:27 PM

of the list above I'd say titegroup is worth a try. just have to be careful of double/triple+ loads.

it isn't position sensitive and a lot of load data out there for rifle cartridges.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:08 PM
Supporting Member

Blue Dot works very well in reduced loads and has been documented much over the years.
Old 02-01-2018, 08:29 PM

Default Trail Boss - need another powder

I found a load, recommended in a load article of 6 grains of HP 38 works very well in a 223 load with the 50-55 grain bullet.
Not sure what the load would be in your 22-250, but I would think that could be a decent starting place. Or you might check around with others and see if they are using it. I see it is in your approved listings. Bill K
Old 02-01-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMajestic View Post
Blue Dot works very well in reduced loads and has been documented much over the years.
Many thanks for all the idea's and help passed on.

Finally found a small number of tubs to keep me going for another couple of years, So I can but testing on the back burner for a while.

The current load is shooting very well at 2150 fps with 50 grn Nosler BT's out of an 18" barrel so sticking with.

G
Old 02-01-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMajestic View Post
Many thanks for all the idea's and help passed on.

Finally found a small number of tubs to keep me going for another couple of years, So I can but testing on the back burner for a while.

The current load is shooting very well at 2150 fps with 50 grn Nosler BT's out of an 18" barrel so sticking with.

G
Old 02-01-2018, 11:11 PM
Board Sponsor

HP-38/W231 is also my go-to for low velocity loads. It does run the danger of double/triple loads so you do have to be attentive. Tight group is another but HP-38 seems to meter much better for me.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com