Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-15-2018, 04:05 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Lot of damage to 'em for a .22m.
Only M I have is a Single Six. Never did
get a rifle for it.

Did you stop n let the old guy know you'd killed
a few for him? Or figure he heard the shooting?

Great pictures, thanks for sharing. Think i'd use up
a bunch .22LR's myself. Never found many around
this area. Sporatic where they are.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 02-15-2018, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
Lot of damage to 'em for a .22m.
Only M I have is a Single Six. Never did
get a rifle for it.

Did you stop n let the old guy know you'd killed
a few for him? Or figure he heard the shooting?

Great pictures, thanks for sharing. Think i'd use up
a bunch .22LR's myself. Never found many around
this area. Sporatic where they are.
Thanks George.
Next time I go out I'll stop and talk with the rancher again. His wife was out checking the mail box down the lane and heard plenty of squirrels a popping.
Next time out I'm taking some centerfires......I could see hundreds of squirrels running around in my scope several hundred yards out.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaminweasil View Post
22".....Green Mountain........stainless fluted sporter. Match Chamber.

This rifle shot really well with the factory 20" pencil barrel from Ruger. I just wanted to "gussy it up" a bit.

It does shoot more consistent now and groups better with certain ammo. It cleans nice and shoots all .22WMR ammo that I've tried really well.
Very good, I've no idea how many .22wmr's I own but its got to be nearing a dozen, but I love all rimfires.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:14 PM

That looks like so much fun! Good ole 22 mag sure is a great round at those distances you mentioned!

Our Northern AZ PD's at 7000ft elevation aren't up yet, darn it. This year I'm getting after them more since I took a break last year.

I hope you don't mind, just thought I'd share some 22 mag stories since I'm inside today due to cold weather right now.

57 years old now, my first firearm was actually a 22 mag, a Savage Anschutz 141M I got for my birthday at age 12, so you can imagine I have lots of fond memories with the cartridge and that rifle.

My Dad wouldn't let me shoot birds but the funny thing was I was allowed to shoot the branch off that the bird was on, lol, so I did just that. He was a nice Dad and always made sure I had plenty of ammo on hand. Once in a while I'd get to shoot a rabbit or squirrel which were scare on public hunting land in Illinois.

When we'd visit my fathers friends in Seligman AZ, where there were many PD towns back then out in the FS, my Dad used to put me on the hood of his Chevy Blazer which had the spare tire in front of the grill for me to straddle. He'd drive me around the PD towns like that and I'd bang on the hood which was the signal to stop quick, lol. It was a fun way to hunt being a kid! It doesn't sound like I/we got that many but some days we'd get 75 PD's in a few hours and all within 150Y but most less than 80Y. Those were the days man!

As us older guys would do, before the internet, we'd read the magazines. In the early 70's I saw an article about the HK300/ 22 mag semi auto rifle and wanted one bad, that was the coolest 22 mag back then. It wasn't till a few years ago that I was able to finally buy one. It sure is a good gun! It'll put down consistent sub 3/4" at 50Y with 30 gr vmax and is super reliable. That's one I want to try on PD's this year, I haven't even drawn blood with it yet.

Well, 22mag is still a great little varmint round isn't it!
Old 02-15-2018, 10:26 PM

Thanks for sharing Steve. I used to read gun magazines all the time growing up. Got involved on the internet just outta high school......im glad for it.

Great story.....I can see you now on the hood
Old 02-16-2018, 05:15 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Good story.

About the most fun I ever had was standing on the tailgate
hanging on the stock rack TRYING to shoot a coyote with my
Blackhawk pistol with Dad chasing it around the pasture.
At times swinging way off to the side hanging by one hand.
Sure was glad I had a real good grip!

That beats the heck out of chasing them on a motorcycle!!

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 02-16-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks for sharing Steve. I used to read gun magazines all the time growing up. Got involved on the internet just outta high school......im glad for it.

Great story.....I can see you now on the hood
Just think, these days that'd mean fines plus jail time for me and George!
Old 02-16-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve123 View Post
Just think, these days that'd mean fines plus jail time for me and George!

No doubt
Old 02-19-2018, 09:31 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
You'd have to talk with Green Mountain about their "Match Chamber" specs. I believe the throat is shorter to "engrave" the bullets and lead is a different angle from the standard reamer. PTG sells "match 22 WMR reamers" so it must be a "thing". They do say that a loaded round might not eject, I'm assuming due to tighter tollerances. Might be "Voodoo" Bologna...........but, this barrel sure is a shooter in any event.

As far as "squeaks"..............yep, that's what I call the "Beldings ground squirrel" around these parts.

We also have "Columbian Ground Squirrels" that come in out April in the mountains...........we call them "Red Diggers"........."Diggers" for short. Can't wait for them to come out, my favorite target.
I think you're right on the match chamber. I got a CZ455 Varmint with a .866 muzzle that shot real well. Bottom group I really yanked one so I shot another to get it back with the herd, 100 yard groups.

That's real good in a factory rifle IMO but I found out Lilga was making barrels for these with a match chamber so I figured what the heck.
Next post.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:50 AM
Supporting Member

Now I have a CZ455 with a Match chambered Lilga on it.

Fairly average 50 yard group.

A good 100 yard group but not an anomaly by any means (it is however the best I've ever shot with a .22 Magnum even though I yanked one), it was shot with the 30 Grain CCI or Hornady, same-same. I'm convinced it'll do better, this was my first trip to the range with the new barrel. Whatever constitutes a Mach Chamber I'm a believer.