Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 02-17-2018, 04:23 PM

Default Mosin 223 SHORT Project

My first rebarrel of anything except Savage small shanks. I started this because i had a Mosin that i didn't like shooting, and no one wanted to give me what i had invested in it, so i decided to change the barrel to a .223 SHORT (BrianLewis Wildcat) cartridge.
Made tools to remove the Mosin Barrel - yes they are tight. Then measured up the threads and purchased a 1" x 21" 22Mag 1:14 twist barrel and threaded and turned it to about .875 and left it as a bull barrel- i like bull barrels.
Did some work to the bolt head to help hold the smaller 223 case, still need to work on the feed ramp to help loading, but it is ok as a single shot.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:44 PM

I still need to get that quickload data for you Randy. I didn't forget you just very busy
Old 02-17-2018, 09:08 PM

A .22 Mag barrel is compatible with .224 bullets?

That case looks awfully close to a .22 TCM. That being said, you should be able to stuff it almost to the top with LilGun and get your best velocities from that. Lots of other useable powders, but all of the rest leave you with much lower velocities and so-so accuracy. YMMV, JMO.

And now you're REALLY deep into the Mosin, buy hey, ain't it fun?
Old 02-17-2018, 10:22 PM

Yes, I had the same question, so I checked the SAAMI prints and both are 0.219/0.224 inches land and bore dimensions.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:55 AM

Default 223 Short AI

Squirrel,
Thanks for posting the pic! Guys the 223 SHORT wasn't my idea- That is Squirrel and Brian's idea, i just thought it sounded great, purchased the barrel for $40 on sale, have my own reamers and lathe, so i made the barrel nut and turned the barrel myself. So far best $40 i have spent on the old gun. still don't have but about $225 in it. Only one round down the tube so far, looking forward to many more, IF the weather ever gets nicer.
I think for where i live this little cartridge will be great, most places here a 200 yd shot is a long shot. Looking forward to seeing just how the 30-50g bullets will perform out of this little rig. 50g may be pushing the envelope of what the twist will stabilize, Will be a fun little gun to shoot now.

In the pic of my cases above you will notice the one on the left has the 40deg angle of the 223AI reamer used to produce this barrel. That is the ONE that has been fire formed so far.

Randy

Last edited by 223Randy; 02-18-2018 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Ading some info
Old 02-18-2018, 03:28 AM

What did you do to the bolt face to get it to work?
Midway has some odd little 40 grain HP bullets for .10 each that may be the ticket.
I always thought the Moisin's were ugly as sin, then I got my Finn and they grow on you. I have several milsurps, the Finn will rival the K31 in accuracy.
Jeff
Old 02-18-2018, 02:21 PM

Default Mosin Bolt Nose

JSH,
I received a tip from another guy on how to make the extractor work by deepening the groove it fits in, which allows to extractor to grab the 223 case. Once it was removed from the chamber, it fell off the bolt so i decided to add a ring to the front of the nose to help retain it. THEN just how to do it. I found that a 5/16" lock washer would "snap fit" into the existing recess and was just the right thickness to fill up that recess, so i used some high strength low temp solder from Brownell's and soldered it into the recess. Then i took a dremel tool and cut out the small area that cover the extractor groove. Then i used a 3/8" end mil in the lathe to open the washer up to .375 to hold the case.

Now when i chamber a round it stays in the nose until i remove it by hand.

I can't seem to get any more pics to load here so i can email you some if you send me your address.

Last edited by 223Randy; 02-18-2018 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 02-20-2018, 04:50 PM

Sounds like this has been a fun inexpensive project. Please keep us updated on accuracy when you get to shooting it more.
Old 04-03-2018, 01:54 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_slayer View Post

I still need to get that quickload data for you Randy. I didn't forget you just very busy

Is the Stock a commercial one that you opened the barrel channel on?
Old 04-14-2018, 02:21 AM

Default Stock

Yes it is a Boyd's Thumbhole and i didn't have to remove much wood,