Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-07-2018, 08:39 PM

Send a message via AIM to Dan Brothers Send a message via MSN to Dan Brothers Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Brothers
Default >>>>Making a 20 Vartarg from a 204 ???<<<

Question...???

If I bought a savage 12 fv in 204, how much trouble would it be to turn it into a 20 Vartarg...?
Old 02-07-2018, 09:22 PM

Default 20 vt

Not familiar with that Savage.
Have tried on Rem 700
ChamberIng not an issue
Feeding and ejection were problematic, and not fixable
Starting with a Rem 700 that was factory set up as a 17 FB or 221 FB works just fine, in that it will feed and eject fine
You obviously need a 20 cal barrel in those cases.
I have one made on a Rem 700 221 FB action, with a Kreiger 204 barrel. It functions great and is a tack driver
Old 02-07-2018, 10:36 PM
Supporting Member

On a Savage platform, don't count on it extracting. Use it as a single shot, pull the ejector pin and spring and the case will stay on the bolt head till you pick it off. The short case wants to pop off the bolt head when it's pulled out of the chamber. Go single shot and don't look back.
As far as the chamber? Shorten it till the 20 VT fits then add that amount of threads back on the barrel. Been there, done that and it works like a charm.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:21 PM
Supporting Member

I was going to try this a couple months ago. Gunsmith said the problem is the barrel starts to taper immediately following the existing threads so when we shortened it to make a vartarg chamber we might not be able to add enough new threads for the barrel nut. Measured several times and it was too close to risk the barrel. I used my Remington with excellent results.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:25 AM

Send a message via AIM to Dan Brothers Send a message via MSN to Dan Brothers Send a message via Yahoo to Dan Brothers

looking at my 6.5 creedmoor savage 12 fv that I just got from cabelas... this heavy barrel thing is just a straight tube, which looks like there is plenty of room to ream and thread. I'm guessing that their 204 is the same diameter.
But that barrel is probably a 12 tw... and not a 11... which I would prefer for 32 gr bullets.

So... what do you guys think about lopping this thing off and re-boring it?
Old 02-08-2018, 12:49 AM

My .20VT barrel started life as a .204 Ruger (also a FV model), so it's easily do-able. As others have said, plan on making it a single shot. If you really want something that shoots fast, there are lots of AR's out there.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:38 AM

I could live with a single shot... I'm NOT a AR person at all... but to each his own...LOL. As a matter of fact... I don't seem to need a FAST second shot on most things anyways. It would probably mostly be used for PD and Squirrels anyways. Would a 12 tw still be okay for 32 gr bullets...?
Old 02-08-2018, 02:35 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

You can get much better twist advice by contacting a barrel maker
than on here. Everyone has a different opinion it seems.

On the A/R gunsmithing section. I discussed with the experts about
feeding problems. They said: "most times feeding can be cured by milling
the feed rails to match the case taper".

My g/s is having a hell of a time making the .243 feed in a 1917 Enfield built for '06. He thinks it's in the magazine. I may end up sending it to one of these guys that claims he remakes quite a few bigger guns feed fine with smaller cases.

Just sharing what I was told by long time gunsmiths.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 02-08-2018, 04:01 AM

Default Making a 20 varTarg from 204 ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Brothers View Post
I could live with a single shot... I'm NOT a AR person at all... but to each his own...LOL. As a matter of fact... I don't seem to need a FAST second shot on most things anyways. It would probably mostly be used for PD and Squirrels anyways. Would a 12 tw still be okay for 32 gr bullets...?
As George said you will get all sort of advise on the barrel twist. but I believe you will find that most of us with the 20's are using a 1/11 twist mostly.
It just seems to work best with the 24-40 grain bullets used. Your 1/12 would work with the 32, but I would suggest going with the 1/11 for all around better performance. Bill K
Old 02-08-2018, 01:10 PM

My Savage rechamber is a 12 twist, and it will shoot 32 grainers (Sierra, V-Max, Z-Max and Midsouth VNE's) into bugholes with the right loads. PM if you'd care for some suggestions.

If I were ordering a custom made barrel, I'd go with an 11 twist, but if saving some coin of the realm is your aim, the Savage 12 twist should work fine. JMO