Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-12-2018, 04:29 PM
Supporting Member

Default Swiveling Portable Shooting Bench

Thinking about getting my own portable bench for PD shooting. Would appreciate recommendations/personal experiences. Thanks, Joe
Old 02-12-2018, 04:40 PM

I have been using one made by "Big Game Tree Stands' for about five years. Like it and two friends I have shot with have seen it and bought their own. The company has changed it's name since, but I still see the same table at Cabela's and Sportsman's for about $150.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:47 PM

The Big game rest works fantastic. I would like to get another UHMW washer for mine to make it swivel a little easier. The only thing bad about it, is the black vinyl cover. It gets really warm, really fast. It sets up in seconds, so it's really easy to drive from dogtown to dogtown and pull it out and start shooting. I bought mine on sale for under $100.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:51 PM

Joe, ten years ago I would have known exactly what to tell you (), but right now I'd say that the DOA bench is most likely one of the best ones out there. It is of much more robust construction than anything I've seen from the mail order houses, with the exception of Caldwell's version of my old design.

The original BR Pivot. The Caldwell version is almost identical, just not all alloy construction as my original Lite version below.

Good luck with the quest, and beware of ChiCom crap. The DOA bench is a veteran owned company (USMC).
Old 02-12-2018, 05:37 PM

The DOA bench is probably the best bench on a swivel (I'm looking too!). Aside from that, you can build your own fixed position bench quite easily. There are quite a number of youtube video's on different builds. Here is one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMIWFXJ-8R8. Most of the the benches at places like Cabela's don't seem very stable, but the DOA does. Keep us posted on what you decide. Burt
Old 02-12-2018, 06:41 PM

Might be hard to find since they have been discontinued but I have a couple RCBS R.A.S.S. benches that I keep stored at a buddy's garage where we shoot dogs. The R.A.S.S. has a lot of accessories which include an umbrella drink holder, ammo tray and seat with a back.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:54 PM

Default Swiveling Portable Shooting Bench

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
The Big game rest works fantastic. I would like to get another UHMW washer for mine to make it swivel a little easier. The only thing bad about it, is the black vinyl cover. It gets really warm, really fast. It sets up in seconds, so it's really easy to drive from dogtown to dogtown and pull it out and start shooting. I bought mine on sale for under $100.
I took the Big Game bench and with a pattern obtained from my shooting buddy, made a new top, cut out of some 1/2 to 3/4 inch plywood. The big game top was too short, for me, from front to back. So by improving on the original I have a very sweet swiveling bench. Bill K

My top is just like the one in Varmint Shooter's photo, except I coated the wood with a clear/satan waterproof coating, as I like the looks of wood.

Last edited by Bill K; 02-13-2018 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:44 PM

Here is a Muddy Xtreme Shooting Bench with a different top that I made from 3/4
inch plywood and covered with outdoor carpeting. 2 pieces, easy to move from place
to place.
Old 02-12-2018, 10:37 PM
Supporting Member

DOA is the best bench out there. Every year at the SHOT Industry Day at the Range, I tell myself that I should buy one of the ones they have.

That being said, I have five of the Caldwell Stable Tables (four are in the hands of my writers/shooters). Who ever designed these must really be a varmint hunter, who has probably sat out in the alfalfa fields of the NW for hours killing truck loads of sage rats! (Rick! )

In all seriousness, there is not a better buy out there. $205.00 on Amazon, with free shipping if you have Prime (hint: sign-up for the 30-day trial of Prime, if you don't see the need in having it). I bought an extra set of parts, including the silicone ring, a few years ago in case something wore out. I still have the sealed package, because everything has held up very well.

Eric

Last edited by Eric Mayer; 02-12-2018 at 11:44 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:11 AM
Supporting Member

Thanks for the replies. Been shooting from a guide supplied Big Game swivel bench, the $100+ variety, and it really isn't all that bad, but I have found that the seating position bothers my neck more & more and the length of the top is too short. The short top is part of the comfort problem. Looking at the premium Caldwell, DOA, Morr and CMP. I think there is another one but can't remember the name right now. One or two have the seat swiveling independently of the top, which is something I have never experienced. I have to wonder how well that works. I mostly want my own bench so I can adjust it for me & equip it with a cushion that will lessen the fanny fatigue.