Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-04-2017, 12:27 PM

Default My Oregon Rifle takes a moose for my 70th birthday!

I have been moose hunting once before in Quebec 20 years ago. I knew absolutely nothing about Moose hunting then and had a wonderful time catching a boat load of northern pike-but no moose. I have not done anything about moose since.

I have been looking at BearPaw Outfitting out of Peace River Alberta for a number of years. My son has been hunting with them 2 or 3 times. I had talked with a number of their references over the years. I have also a couple of times talked with Scott Taylor the owner. Sadly Mr. Taylor passed away last year at the young age of 52 years. His wife an partner Sheila Taylor along with the staff of guides are keeping the business. Everyone I talked to was positive and upbeat about this company. I will turn 70 years old in about 6 weeks. As a gift to myself I bought a moose hunt in Alberta with BearPaw.

We arrived at the Bear paw lodge September 23 and hunted from September 24 to October 2. We drove 2200 miles up from my wife's home in Oklahoma.
When we were nearing Peace river we started seeing moose sign.

Weather was clear and sunny most days with daytime highs ranging from mid-50's f to one day in the mid-80's. Nights were clear with the moon from half to near full moon. Night time temps in the 40's and high 30's except for one night towards the end when it dropped to 27f.

This is a bit warm for hunting, but the fall color change was in full swing and it was beautiful.

Never the less we did see moose.

My wife went on the trip with me and often went out with us. It never hurts to have an extra set off eyes! She wasn't real happy about getting up a 5:30 am. But she did.

Last edited by Double D; 10-04-2017 at 12:47 PM.