Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 02-09-2011, 03:28 PM

Because of the greater than .005 reduction huh. Well I'm sure that RickN said drawing was the way it needed to be done not swaging. It sounds like Jim is reducing .20 cals for his new tipped bullets. Any other ideas?? I like all that I have bought from Calhoon but really do want to go to molly coating instead of the "quick silver". I'm using his suggested load of AA2200 and after XX number of rounds down a clean barrel I get this cakey star blast around the muzzle. It made me think that if it's like that at the muzzle what is it like in the bore. Then once and only once I fired a cold bore shot at paper with this "cakey" barrel and the first shot was about half an inch high from the next 4. This was done at 80 yards via my range finder. What I am thinking is that the restriction of the quick silver build up increased the pressure and there for increased the velocity? Maybe if I used the molly it wouldn't do that and it would be easier to clean the barrel???
Old 02-09-2011, 07:14 PM

potatohead,
I've over 200 rounds through my 19-221 and I still find It shoots better with a quick clean every 8 to 10 rounds. Dissapointing to say the least,but I'm hoping It will wear in and go more between cleans.
It would be nice If James would offer uncoated bullets alongside his shiny ones.
Ken.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbro View Post
After a quick look on Corbins site I came away thinking the reduction from .204 to .198 may be a step too far for that setup. Am I missing something here?
Ken.
Well Dave Corbin does talk about limits to bullet reduction and still ending up with an accurate bullet. I would think that this case would be fine, we are only talking .006". He also says that the .005" is only a estimate and that can sometimes be more or less depending on the bullet. I think his process goes something like this. You send him some samples of the bullet you would like to reduce, then they build the die to perfectly draw that bullet down. Even though the die was built around one bullet, they almost always work with all bullets of the same diameter, assuming the bullet base is the same, ei flat base or boattail. All this may not even be needed if he knows what size works because they have done it before. My guess is, you are not the first to ask for this size and he will know what is needed. The best advice I can give you would be to send Dave an email or call him. He is a friendly guy and willing to talk if you can get a hold of him. If not, he normally answers his emails with in a day or two. They don't work Fridays though unless someone is paying for the overtime.

Dan

Last edited by MIBULLETS; 02-09-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:59 PM

Default Cakey Star Blast...

I think that is the powder! I get that with the AA powder in my 19s and my 17AH and 221 FB-they all get AA1680 and the "star blast" accumulates on all of them. I have not had an accuracy problem, though.
Bill
Old 03-22-2011, 09:50 AM

Bill,
Do you have a Badger that you use with AA powder? I ask because I have a 19FB(similar capacity) and have been using R7 and H4198. There's not much to choose between the two, but I think 4198 has the edge in my rifle.I can put 2 bullets in the same hole but the 3rd one always goes away by 3/8ths to 1/2", that might be me? That's with a bipod and back bag. @100yds.
Have you tried any other powders or are you happy with the accuracy you get with AA?
My gun now has almost 300 round down the barrel now but still need frequent cleaning.
Regards,Ken.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:55 PM

I had Corbin make a couple of sets of dies to reduce 20s to 19s...sold them all for cost. I have been converting Hornady 20 cal 32 gr platic tips to 19 cal. Seem to work just fine.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:16 PM

kenbro. How did you do the barrel break in? I have a 19 Badger too. Did a break in shot one cleaned for 10 rounds and then shot 3 and cleaned for 5 times. Cleaned for copper everytime, came out lots of blue to start...then it all but went away towards the 10 shot. The last five were for good measure and groups. The groups were in the .3 and .4s. Used the 32 grain HPs and some of James' new 2200. Velocity is 3490 fps.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:56 PM
Supporting Member

Default New 2200

Would you mind giving out your grains of "new" 2200 in your Badger? I'm shooting the "old 2200" and just wondering the difference between the two powders. Thanks Jim
Old 07-18-2011, 12:41 AM
Supporting Member

5mmgunguy. I sent you a pm, but you may have missed it. You say you had Corbin make a couple of sets of dies for drawing down the 20cal to 19. Do you mean by set, that there are more than one die for this job? I have Rick's old die here and it works fine, though I stick with the nosler bullet. I am currious if you are doing it in two steps.

Ken, I use both RL-7 & 4198 (AR 2207 ) in my 19 abdger, both at 15.8 as per Jim's instructions. You could load 20 of each and mix them all up, you could not tell the difference. In my rifle perhaps RL-7 is the tightest, but I don't shoot well enough anymore to pick the difference. From the first rounds I put through it the rifle has never shot worse 0.450, and thats down to me.
Rl-7 probably runs better through the powder thrower. We can't get Accurate Arms powder over here

Johno
Old 07-18-2011, 10:27 AM

5mmgunguy,
I shot the barrel in pretty much like you did, must have been getting up to 200 rounds before it settled down. Used Jim's silver bullets so didn't see any copper come out and it cleans up real easy now.

johno,

I've gone to R7 full time now for the 19fb. 18grs for 32s and 17.4 grs for 36s.
Best 3 shot groups @ 100 have been .178 for 36s and .25 for 32s.
@ 200 the 32s opened to .625 and the 36s went just on 1". thats laying down with a bipod and i'm happy with that. Load development finished, thank goodness. It's all worth it when you reach a satisfactory conclusion.

I too have ordered a reducing die from Mr. Corbin, Georgeld is kindly taking care of that on my behalf.Thanks George.
Ken.

Last edited by kenbro; 07-18-2011 at 10:30 AM.