Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 01-29-2012, 02:10 PM
Supporting Member

FWIW I do not recommend using moly on lead bullet nor do I recommend shooting them that fast.

This was just an experience of an inexperienced guy messing around playing with hot molten lead and no clue about what he was doing…

I do not shoot them like I started out doing because of everything I had been told about the lead bullet shouldn’t even be making it to the target and leading the barrel.

That said a guy I spoke with a week or two ago who makes molds for lead bullets said if it aint leading the barrel he sees nothing wrong…. I just don’t have a good warm fuzzy feeling about the fun load I have worked up, maybe I worry too much????
Old 02-17-2012, 01:31 AM

Default Moly Alternative or Just a Bad Idea?

I have a couple of moulds for .22 cal cast bullets, and heaven knows one does not want those to sit idle.

I was wondering if anyone else has tried Lee Liquid Alox on cast bullets for rifle shooting. I've used in on .30 cal bullets in a 7.62x54 Mosin-Nagant with good results (meaning that they shoot as well as, sometimes better than, jacketed bullets), and the barrel cleaning has been easy. I shoot the .30's as cast, give them two applications of liquid alox, and roll 'em in Motor Mica in an old nylon stocking, I think it is a lot like powdered graphite. That's pretty much the game plan for the .22 cal. bullets, unless someone puts the brakes on this or comes up with a better idea.

Open to any and all suggestions!
Old 02-17-2012, 01:59 AM
Supporting Member

The Cast Bullet Assoc forum has a bunch of info there using LLA using techniques not much different than yours. You will need to register as a user to view and search the posts, but there is a wealth of info and experience on CBs over there, but nothing on on 17 and 20 cal lead fodder......
Old 02-17-2012, 02:12 PM
Supporting Member

GL,

You worry too much. There is at least 1commercial company that I know of that moly coats their cast boolits and they shot great in the rifles that I shot them out of with little if any leading.

I've cast more than just a bit, and there are so many tiny variables that impact leading, that you could drive yourself nuts trying to determine the exact cause for an individual rifle or pistol. Barrel, load, alloy, coating....all those play. If you have a sweet load that works, shoot it and be happy. Worst case scenario is that you spend a little time to "get the lead out" once in awhile.

MQ1
Old 02-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Supporting Member

Ha! I like that
Quote:
get the lead out" once in awhile.
wonder if my boss ever says the same thing

thanks, I have been told that before I worry too much about the leading thing. I have heard horror stories about getting lead out of a barrel before and didn't want to take a chance on my 591...

I think that I will eventually get a 23" contender barrel and run a bunch through it on spring time pups and see how that goes first... thanks again, I apprciate your advise!
Old 02-18-2012, 02:43 AM
Supporting Member

So think on this one for a bit.

After shooting a hundred or so rounds of .45 my dear old dad would shoot a couple copper jacketed boolits to clear any major leading. Either he cast perfect boolits every time, or the process helped clear major deposits...I don't recall him ever working too hard to clean his pistols or rifles, and to this day I follow suit. I can't tell you for a fact that it works, cause I'm too cheap to buy a borescope right now, but the anecdotal evidence supports that it works.

Another way to "get the lead out"

MQ1
Old 05-06-2012, 12:58 PM
Supporting Member

Yep!
That has worked for me in all my revolvers for the last 40 years or so.
The only thing that concerned me about chasing the lead out with a jacketed bullet was the amount of lead build up.
If a barrel and cylinders looked excessively leaded then I would hit it real good with a bronze bush before shooting jacketed.
Don’t see why it wouldn’t work for a rifle.

Just thinking here and no empirical evidence to back what I’m about to say up, but…
It's not too surprising the lead bullets shoot faster in the K-Hornet cases since it’s a relatively low velocity cartridge anyways and depending on the powder you’re using the weight of the lead bullets may be getting a more efficient burn out of your powder and trumping the jacketed bullets velocity wise.
You didn't say what powder you're using but I know Lil’Gun seems to burn more efficiently with heavy bullets in most of what I have tried it in, not all but most.
That combined with the better gas seal of the lead bullets may be giving you the better velocity.
Again; just thinking out loud.
Larry

Old 05-28-2012, 03:38 PM

Default Moly on Cast bullets

Commercial moly coated cast bullets are available from Bear Creek Supply in Waterford CA. Mick McPherson recommended them for use in pistol cartridge rifles several times in Precision Shooting magazine, and also I believe in his book "Accurizing The Factory Rifle". I have been using them for several years in a 32-20, [ 1400 fps] with zero leading. Great bullets.