Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Old 08-11-2008, 09:02 AM

Default Swaging die makers

Hi,
I've just ordered a walnut hill press and I need to look at getting some dies.
Can anyone recommend a die maker for 308, 6mm and 22 cal of benchrest quality with a reasonable return time frame. I know that the end product is propotional to the effort put in so can anyone give me some contact details for Niemi, Larry Blackmon, or any other die sinkers familiar with bullet dies.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:58 AM

Larry Blackmon's home # is 318-387-3266. I can give a positive recommendation for his dies, but you will have to wait a while. He doesn't usually have any on hand and since this is a hobby for him, it takes some time to get them.

Rick
Old 08-11-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersmith View Post
Hi,
I've just ordered a walnut hill press and I need to look at getting some dies.
Can anyone recommend a die maker for 308, 6mm and 22 cal of benchrest quality with a reasonable return time frame. I know that the end product is propotional to the effort put in so can anyone give me some contact details for Niemi, Larry Blackmon, or any other die sinkers familiar with bullet dies.
Detsch Custom Bullet Dies
David Detsch
350 West Creek Road
Saint Marys PA 15857
814-834-3035 phone
diemaker@windstream.net
http://home.windstream.net/diemaker

W.B. Niemi, Niemi Bros Engineering
William Niemi
PO Box 126
Center Rd.
Greensboro, VT 05841
(802)533-7180
wbniemiengr@jpshift.com
Old 08-27-2008, 07:37 PM

Good luck on getting your Walnut Hill press. I ordered mine January 9, 2008 and as of today, August 27, 2008 still do not have it, nor ANY timeframe from Richard Corbin when he MIGHT even be able to produce it. He told me it was done in May and sent to the powder coater who sent back part but not all of it (ever know of a powder coater to do that?) so he has screwed my business for 8 MONTHS now and I have HAD it with him!!!!!!! Desperately trying to find someone who will make and sell me my press and dies, I came back here and saw the contact information for Niemi and Detsch. I tried Niemi 20 times last January and they never return my calls. Blackman was nice enough and sent me data but only makes what he wants to, not what the customer wants and as mentioned does it on the side of his dental practice as he gets time. I contacted Mr. Detsch and have ordered three Redding presses, three dies and all the punches, wire cutter etc. to make 6mm bullets from 66gr. to 110gr. with a 6/9 double radius ogive and a 62 by 14 degree ultra boattail. He told me most of it was there now and it would take him around 6 weeks to cut my point up die (carbide by the way, not tool steel). If he does what he claims, he will have me up and runnng soon where Richard has taken ALL the momentum out from under my business. So instead of being ready in January 2008 mayby I'll be ready January 2009 at least!

Bughole
Old 08-28-2008, 01:14 PM

Default swaging die makers

Bughole;

RCE has not screwed up your business plans, entering the bullet swaging area of the shooting sports requires long term planning. As you will find out, custom swage die makers do not keep your one of a kind of ogive point formers on the shelf. There are lots of ways to handle a problem, checking with other long term swagers here and on other swaging forums will give you the info needed to start your business. If you are this impatient about your tooling, I doubt you will swage any bullets good enough to support a business. Swaging bullets takes a lot of work, time, and the ability to see a job thru completion. Let us know when you get your new order in and we will see how your time frame worked out.

A few weeks ago, there was a used RCE Walnut Hill press on E-bay that sold for a lot more money then the owner paid for it. When a companys tooling sells for more money used then new, do you think it might be worth something. Richards presses are made one at a time by a custom Die & tooling expert (Richard). Where are your new ordered presses made?? China ?

If I ofended anyone with this post, My apology's
I just don't like seeing anyone blamed for "ruining someone's business"

swageall
Old 08-29-2008, 10:52 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageall View Post
Bughole;

...................If I ofended anyone with this post, My apology's

swageall
Good post.....!!! I agree totally. When no one produces some of the rare toys we play with, who will we blame when "time is important"......

JMO - BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 09-04-2008, 09:50 AM

Default Dies

Thanks for all the input on this. The lead time on the press isn't a problem for me. I only intend to make my own bullets at this point as a hobby.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:30 PM

I,am Dave Detsch Detsch custom bullet dies. I been making dies for benchrest sooters for 14 years & my father Clarence 25 yr. before that . I started doing this full time the first of the year. My die are carbide . have made 14 17 19 20 22 23 6.5 &30 cal. dies The world records that were set with my father,s bullets are being brook with bullets out of my. www.diemaker.us is my web page. Check it out thanks Dave
Old 09-09-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swageall View Post
Bughole;

RCE has not screwed up your business plans, entering the bullet swaging area of the shooting sports requires long term planning. As you will find out, custom swage die makers do not keep your one of a kind of ogive point formers on the shelf. There are lots of ways to handle a problem, checking with other long term swagers here and on other swaging forums will give you the info needed to start your business. If you are this impatient about your tooling, I doubt you will swage any bullets good enough to support a business. Swaging bullets takes a lot of work, time, and the ability to see a job thru completion. Let us know when you get your new order in and we will see how your time frame worked out.

A few weeks ago, there was a used RCE Walnut Hill press on E-bay that sold for a lot more money then the owner paid for it. When a companys tooling sells for more money used then new, do you think it might be worth something. Richards presses are made one at a time by a custom Die & tooling expert (Richard). Where are your new ordered presses made?? China ?

If I ofended anyone with this post, My apology's

swageall
From a business perspective ONLY, the above comments are absurd BOTH for the business supplying the tools and the business trying to buy them.

Apology accepted.

Paul
Old 09-17-2008, 03:07 PM

Default The BEST Custom Die Maker!!!

This is the 19th year that I have been using Detsch bullet dies. I have 1 set of .22 caliber set of dies and 2 sets of 6mm. They have given me very good and consistant results. I won the IBS 3-Gun nationals in 2000 with Clarence Detsch's dies, and Dave recently made me a new 6mm pointer die. Since using this die, I have attended 3 IBS matches this year, and It has done very well Including 1st and 2nd place at the New York State Championships and total of 11 trophies in that one match alone; We also were the only two using my bullets. I cannot say enough good things about Dave's die making ability. He is very good to work with. I also highly recommend that you guys use Dave for converting your presses to bullet making. He is the best and very reasonably priced.