Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Bullet Making

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2007, 01:59 AM

Default Lead wire sources

Where do you buy your lead wire? I have bought mine from Richard Corbin but the shipping cost is nearly as much as the purchase price. I guess I need to find someone closer to Central Illinois.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Gary
Old 01-13-2007, 02:51 AM
Supporting Member

There is a place in Milwaukee that my friend buys his at. I have another friend pick it up and bring to a match for me. Can't remember the name right now.

Mike
Old 01-15-2007, 12:26 PM

My current source of wire is the Seafab Company in AZ. They offer a selection of diameters, including the standard sizes used for making cores, and spool sizes from 20 to 300#. I find the 150# spools best for my use.

If you normally use wire that is .5% SB, I'd suggest you order .25% or pure from Seafab. Their wire tends to run a little harder than other sources I've used in the past. Other than that minor detail, it's the finest lead I've ever used. The diameter is extremely consistent throughout the spools, and I've never found a single slag inclusion or void. Good material. Here's a link:

http://www.doerun.com/whatwedo/seafab.aspx

Have fun, Clint.
Old 01-15-2007, 01:12 PM

Default Lead wire

Clint,

I have bookmarked their site and will check with them before ordering more lead. Since I am making bullets for my own (and family) use, I'm not sure how long before I will need more but I appreciate the information.

I have been asked to sell some to local shooters but the high cost of insurance and the risk of potential lawsuits make it unlikely that I will do so. I enjoy (at least to this point) making bullets but I am unwilling to take the risks associated with going into the business. Way too many lawyers looking for someone to sue in our society today. It is kind of sad when this sort of thing curtails many things we would like to do.

Thanks again,
Gary
Old 01-15-2007, 03:02 PM

Default Crown

A good option is Crown Metal Co in Milwaukee, WI. We've been using them with good results. phone (414)384-6500.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:06 PM

Default Lead wire

Jim,

Thanks for the contact information. They are a little closer to home.

Gary
Old 01-15-2007, 03:21 PM

Default Gary

i'm not sure if other bullet makers are carrying product liability insurance. if you have a concern, only sell them to folks you know or put a standard disclaimer togethor to go along with the bullets.

good luck with the lead wire.
Old 01-15-2007, 03:30 PM

Default Lead wire

Gary,
A lot of people get there lead wire from Crown Metal in Milwaukee. For smaller amounts try Bruno's Shooters Supply, use to come in 20# spools. Shipping and the price of lead are big factors when buying under 500 lb's at a time.
CROWN METAL COMPANY, INC.
121 E. WASHINGTON, STREET
MILWAUKEE, WI 53204
414 384 6500

Jim M
Old 01-15-2007, 04:39 PM

Sorry about posting that Crown info again, after Jim had already done so. I was a bit slow in my reply looking up info and didn't check before hitting the button.
As for the “product liability insurance” I don't carry it and see no need to, but like Jim said I only sell to shooters I know. If I were selling 100,000 or more bullets a year I'd think about having it. Anybody know of a bullet maker that got sued ?

Jim M
Old 01-15-2007, 08:50 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim saubier View Post
A good option is Crown Metal Co in Milwaukee, WI. We've been using them with good results. phone (414)384-6500.
That's where we got ours also.

Mike
Closed Thread