Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-17-2016, 03:55 AM

Default Super stick case

Cz 527 17 Mach IV stainless PACNOR barrel (if that info is needed for anything)
Live round stuck
Brass rod did not pop it out.
Beat on the brass with a hammer. No go still
Pointers?
You may say. Why not pull the trigger. Well we did bang and beat the brass quite extensive. Presuming now it's a very well packed loaded round right now.

Measuring some other brass. I'm long on the neck. Presuming that's why it's stuck so well.

Thoughts and pointers
Old 09-17-2016, 09:48 AM

Hmm...
Try filling the barrel with oil, use a tight fitting wooden dowel and give it a good solid whack... the oil may also seep down around the brass case and the chamber wall and hydraulic pressure could pop it out.
Leaving the oil to soak overnight should also kill the powder and primer...

Last edited by Tilleyman; 09-17-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old 09-17-2016, 10:42 AM

Default stuck case

Put it in a chest freezer for several hours may do the trick, brass and steel expand and contract different amounts at different temperatures. Worth a try with no danger!
Mack
Old 09-17-2016, 11:00 AM

Could there possibly be a problem with the extractor? If not, Kroil down the barrel and letting it soak for an hour or so may help.
Old 09-17-2016, 02:55 PM
Supporting Member

Send a message via AIM to SShooterZ
Thumbs up

Nothing to add here other than I have read of several of the methods above working in similar situations. Please be careful and wear your eye protection.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:01 PM
Supporting Member

I have used dry ice to remove broken cases from chambers and dies.

In this instance, I would pack the area around the locking lug recess with dry ice, making sure to keep in contact with the cartridge for a half hour at least. Then gently tap the round out with a rod if the bolt won't do it.
Old 09-17-2016, 04:13 PM

I'm no more help than SShooterZ in regards to solutions.

As far as putting oil in the barrel, it may penetrate and provide some lubrication. It will NOT, however, deactivate the primer. I remember an article from many moons ago about primer contamination. They soaked loose primers overnight in a jar of motor oil. The primers were put in cases the next day and they still worked to a certain degree.

Please exercise extreme caution in removing that live round!!!
Old 09-17-2016, 05:36 PM

Default Super stick

Just out of curiosity who made these 17 Mach IV cases? Did you try to chamber any of them before you loaded them?
Old 09-17-2016, 07:36 PM

Hog patrol --- how do I test the extractor?
I'm visually looking at the other CZ's here and they all look the same. Educate me. What do I look for to check the extractor.

The brass was made by me. It's off .221 brass. Records show it's on its fourth loading.
However I sold the rifle to my bud a little over a year ago. He didn't take the rounds with him in the sale. He brought the rifle by for a cleaning. He doesn't have .17 cleaning equipment and I just continued cleaning it like it never left. (He's been shooting 17 fireball)
Cleaned the barrel with a bore guide (woodchuck dens) like normal. Cleaned the chamber with long doctor swabs. All came out clean. Loaded a round and STUCK right there.

Yes, on the eye protection

I recall seeing an article a bit back on primers and what people do to try to deactivate them.

Extracor issues
Let me run this option. What if I pull the firing pin. Engage the bolt into battery. Tap the rod down as I'm 'working' the bolt to pull the brass.

First off education on this extractor. Perhaps that's boogered up, clean--fix that and the stuck case issue is resolved.

Oil and freezing are next.
Old 09-17-2016, 08:05 PM
Supporting Member

Default stuck

Last one I did I disassembled it, ie stock, bolt, even scope. Took barreled action stood it on end and put about an oz of Kroil down the barrel, this was a 243, stuffed rag into mag well, came back the next morning, took a couple pieces of oak and made a jake-leg barrel vise. Clamped it up, made sure front and back were clear and tapped on it, didn't take but a few whacks and it popped out. On mine the bullet pushed into the case quite a bit and when I felt it I stopped, tilted the barrel up put more kroil in it and left it for about an hour before resuming. The case was full of oil when I removed it. More importantly I didn't get all Neanderthal on it. If the bolt would close my first instinct would be to fire it until you said it might be long. Sometimes you feel it start to squeeze long before you can cam over the bolt and you still force it in. Those I don't have a problem firing if I know they aren't long. If they're long, those have to come out backwards. Good luck.