Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-24-2019, 05:30 PM

Aaron, we have run in the same circles for several years.
It has been a long time since I recall any of them giving us much of a heads up when they drop a product.

Sierra dropped their single shot pistol bullets, then Hornady dropped theirs. I myself would have known little of this at the time if I had not known folks in both places.

We have seen powders dropped and be gone for a long time only to show back up later.

I agree with your above comment for sure. A heads up would be nice, but those that make the decisions take the attitude, they will figure it out when they can’t find any.
I leaned on several powders years ago pretty hard and took the attitude it will as be around, they are gone with no sign of returning. That is one reason I have quite a few 1lb partials of new sitting around. Doesn’t perform to my expectations I give it to some one else to try. Lol, I have enough SR4759 I can sprinkle it in my coffee every morning and still never run out.
We live in a different time as we all well know, I can’t say it is better.
The bad thing with the subject at hand is there is no big manufacturer to fall back on for a substitute.
I myself plan on reaching out to those few that make a similar weight bullet and give them a try. I just hope they don’t get to swamped and not keep up with demand. I think most of them it is a chore of passion and pride as much as it is a business. That is what Berger is lacking in.

We just may well have to come up with a 17 and a 20 Creedmoor!
Jeff
Old 03-01-2019, 03:48 PM

Default A Letter From Toddd Kindler (Wood Chuck Den) to the powers that be at NAMMO/Lapua

I received permission from Todd to post this letter that he sent to NAMMO/Lapua/Berger.

I also have penned them a letter. It seems that the "small caliber" shooters have been loosing ground in not only bullets, but also the jackets that are needed to make the little projectiles we all love.
gndog

Date: January 30, 2019 at 10:41:53 AM EST
To: <info@nammo.com>, "'Seikkula, Erkki'" <Erkki.Seikkula@nammo.com>
Subject: Berger Bullets Small Caliber Direction

Dear Morten Brandzaeg and Raimo Helasmaki,

It has just came to my attention that Berger Bullets has unfortunately discontinued their 55 grain 20 caliber PN 20306. This is just another of many fine small caliber bullets they have discontinued over the years. Please let me provide you a little background on this superb 55 grain bullet. Legendary tool & die maker, precision bullet die maker and benchrest shooter, Bob Simonson, designed this bullet and many others over the decades as well that benefit the precision benchrest and shooting industry today. Years ago, Bob sent me samples of this bullet to evaluate and test. I spent an entire summer testing different barrel twists (that were donated by Douglas Barrels more below ) and shooting at various long ranges using downrange chronographs. Once I had all my data, I sent it off to a professional ballistics lab at my own expense to figure the BC and charts. I then met with Walt at the Shot Show and gave him the experimental bullets and ballistic charts and asked if he would consider making them, which they eventually did. This is a very special bullet with 1000 yard accuracy range. I then did the marketing of this bullet and many of Berger’s other small caliber bullets as well through our Small Caliber News Magazine and our Terrific Twenty Reloading Manual - by the way we are on our 5th edition! The bullet was quickly and successfully launched with many shooters using it in 1000 yard benchrest and varmint shooting!

These precision shooters have invested a lot of hard earned money in barrels and rifles to shoot this bullet. In fact, Tim Gardner, owner of Douglas Barrels graciously donated all the test barrels to me and Berger. Tim also had me set him up with bullet making dies to make his own 55 grain bullets using Berger jackets. This precision set up cost a lot of money and helped Tim win many 1000 yard awards! These achievements really helped the Berger and twenty caliber brand. Now we have many shooters with rifles and bullet dies that can’t be used and the finest long range small caliber bullet a thing of the past! I don’t really think Lapua or Berger realize the negative impact leaving this market with cause by slowly leaving the small caliber market.

I’m asking you to please bring the 55 grain bullet and jackets back. In my opinion, the Berger Team could definitely use some assistance in evaluating and marketing the small caliber market. Maybe they are just too removed from it. I would be glad to help revive that small caliber market. I know and understand that market better than anyone on the planet! I have spent over three decades of my life totally dedicated to the small calibers. In fact, when Lapua introduced their fine 221 Remington Fireball brass, your press release stated you can even make 20 Vartarg brass with it, the very first cartridge I ever designed!

There is significant opportunity here that I don’t want to see you walk away from for the sake of the small caliber shooters and industry. Remember the small calibers are what we grow up with and can shoot all year long – no matter where you live.

Sincerely,

Todd

Todd A. Kindler – President, Founder of Small Caliber News Magazine, & Cartridge designer (20 VarTarg, 20 Tactical, 17 Tactical to name a few)

The Woodchuck Den, Inc.

330-897-0614

www.woodchuckden.com
Old 03-01-2019, 04:11 PM

Thanks for that info. And great that Todd did this. Very well written letter and I, for one, sure hope it does not call of deaf ears with Berger. Bill K
Old 03-01-2019, 06:11 PM

Thank-you to Todd and others who have taken action and sent their letter or
e-mail to BERGER disclosing their displeasure and requesting they reconsider bringing back the 50 and 55 grain 20Cal bullets

My e-mail was sent 2 weeks ago !