Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-30-2017, 10:05 PM

Very Nice!!!
Old 12-30-2017, 10:52 PM

Default 17 Cal. 30 Gr Texas Golds

In reading DAA's Article , Texas Golds are presently being made by the SECOND owner of Todd Kindlers Dies . So give the new guy ( Montana Mize who lives in Texas ) a chance ...... and don't hold Texas against him ! The Article also states Montana will be coming up with 20's and would like inputs on what people really want in a 20 Bullet .
Old 12-30-2017, 11:41 PM

30's won't work with a 1:10 twist, and may not work with some 25gr bullets either.
Old 12-31-2017, 03:24 AM

Good read there Dave. I should try them. Thanks for passing along the intel.
Old 12-31-2017, 10:51 AM

You all are most welcome. Thanks for reading!

- DAA
Old 12-31-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAA View Post
Shot a couple groups with the new 30 Golds yesterday. Just posted the details on my blog.

30 Golds are back!

Now I just need to kill a few coyotes with them .

- DAA
DAA, I read your report with interest, and need to point out a common error when using a base-to-ogive comparator relative to seating depth. Please do not interpret this as snide, or, haughty - it's just stating the mechanical facts relative to bullet making, and attempting to knock a wedge into a common misconception, which may make a particular bullet, "look bad".

Presuming the same point-up die, and an unchanged seater-stem, the only attribute which will change, with varying B-O, is the relative depth of the bullet base to bolt-face, or, case mouth, neck-shoulder junction, etc.

If the bullets are pointed in a single die, the diameter, at which the seater stem [hoop diameter] contacts the bullet nose/ogive diameter, will be a constant - the die cavity dimensions will not change - thus, the distance from the seater-stem contact point, to the the bullet shank/ogive tangent point will be constant. Therefore, so will the relative, "seating-depth".

Since you have noted normal,'throat erosion', your test possibly handicapped the new Golds, by increasing the "jump" distance, or, taking the bullet off the lands - in other words, introducing another variable.

The longer & skinnier dimensions are likely the result of [what I would consider] excessive lubricant. That is, more lubricant than necessary, which is much more likely than a mechanical shortcoming of the press(es). Imagine the maker learning how to get those under better control!

Obviously, the bullets performed well . . they could possibly (probably?) do better if you restored the "seating-depth" to original for that die/barrel.

Base-to-ogive comparison is merely a way to check for uniformity within a particular production LOT, or to compare LOT-to-LOT uniformity. Unless the bullets have been pointed in multiple dies, B-O has no bearing on the relationship to the loaded round - bolt-face to ogive - measurement, which is relative to the lands.

This is easy enough to check - simply seat bullets, from a single die,but of varying "lengths" ( B-O, OAL, etc.) and then compare the bolt-face (case-head) to ogive measurements. RG

Last edited by Randy Robinett; 01-03-2018 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:28 AM

Randy,

Appreciate the detailed explanation! I'll take all the education on the subject I can get, especially from someone as accomplished and experienced as yourself.

Thanks!

And no coyote yet. Had my shotgun in my lap this morning, with a coyote face peeking out of the sage at about 80 yards. No shot. Nephew packing a rifle couldn't see it. Was sure wishing I hadn't left the .17 in the Jeep...

- DAA
Old 01-02-2018, 07:16 PM

Default Thanks Dave

Great report on the 30's DAA (my brother from another mother Dave).

Your request for a 20 caliber 38 gn. sleek bullet, right on.

I have a 204 20" AR for whatever reason won't shoot a 35 or 40 Berger very well, tack driver with 40 Vmax I don't like Vmax for coyotes so much.

Your site is cool. Thanks for sharing. sgtg
Old 01-03-2018, 11:10 PM

I got a little bit of everything
Made up right now but they are goin fast if anyone needs bullets give me a call
Kids got stockshow rest of week so I probally won’t be making bullets but can get some orders out in mornin if anybody wants to give um
A try
Old 01-04-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAA View Post
Shot a couple groups with the new 30 Golds yesterday. Just posted the details on my blog.

30 Golds are back!

Now I just need to kill a few coyotes with them .

- DAA

Could you compare the original 30 Golds to the Berger 30 match bullet that's also out of production?

I know a lot of guys consider the 25gr. Berger match that was also dropped THE best fur friendly coyote killer of all time but I've not seen the same bullet in 30 mentioned much.

I've got a bunch of both the older 25 and 30 Bergers but never shot the Golds in my .17 Remington.