Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-11-2018, 09:18 PM

Default Shooters and cars

Someone mentioned starting a thread about cars on here...seems like shooters and cars go together.

I've been a drag racer for most of my life, starting as a crew guy on a cousins SS/D Chevelle.

Cooling my '67 Camaro Super Stocker down before the final round:

After a lot of years away, I came back a few years ago with a '68 Nova Stock Eliminator car.

Old 12-11-2018, 09:48 PM

The race shop I run out of fields three cars. So,there's always a lot going on...stuff coming apart, going back together and testing.

Off season finds a lot of time spent on the engine dyno looking for more power and/or more torque. This is my 327 stocker engine on the dyno:

Old 12-11-2018, 09:53 PM
Supporting Member

I've never been into racing and such, but I do enjoy fun cars.

These are two of my current toys. The first one gets me wherever I want to go in a hurry. It was special ordered and "chipped" with supposedly 465 horses to the road from what the dealership told me. All I know is you get 2x the miles on the front tires than you get with the rear tires.... and it does go fast immediately if you punch the throttle. The only down side is it uses 93 octane fuel and the insurance rates are kinda' high, but sometimes you have to pay to play......... It has an automatic transmission, but the column mounted paddle shifters make you think you're clutching...

This second one is my current mudder.......... Its a Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 FWD. Its not as fast as the Camaro but it works great off the road and on the road. It has dual piston gas shocks on all four wheels and its maybe the best riding truck I've ever owned, and its a definite keeper with a very peppy V-6 engine.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine

Last edited by Bayou City Boy; 12-11-2018 at 10:00 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:11 PM
Banned

Default Brodix

How come no Brodix heads on those engines?
Old 12-11-2018, 10:29 PM

and where is the turbo(s)?

Had my fair share of toys in my early 20's, 84 1/2 gt350 mustang turbo (was putting just shy of 400 to the wheels lots of work done to it. almost killed myself being stupid managed to hit all 4 sides twist the unibody (with subframe connectors no less) and blew the hatch off the car), 90 legacy turbo SS as a DD, 90 cougar xr7 v6 superchaged 5 speed(miss that cruiser!) 87 Plymoth conquest tsi widebody, built a couple quick honda's (one sporting just shy of 350hp per L 697 to the wheels(well hubs theoretically dynapack) with a 2.0L) plus a few others that I didn't get too far with.

I'm at the parenting time of my life so no toys for now. I'd like to do retro build on a 70's datsun 240z with a RB swap. I have my eyes set on the host once this old lady passes away. (she will not part with it for nothing!) still drives it and it's super clean 1972!

Last edited by squirrel_slayer; 12-11-2018 at 10:32 PM.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat cat View Post
How come no Brodix heads on those engines?
The rules in NHRA Stock Eliminator are original parts for the factory H.P. engine you run. In my case, it's a 327-275 horse engine...QJet carb, flat top pistons, .390/.410 lift cam, cast iron intake and stock 1.94/1.50 valve iron heads.

Last edited by Al Nyhus; 12-13-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Old 12-11-2018, 10:45 PM
Banned

Default Brodix

Cool!!! I work at Brodix if you ever need heads intakes blocks give us a call first!
Old 12-11-2018, 10:45 PM
Supporting Member

The old saying, Speed cost money. How fast do you want to go?
Old 12-12-2018, 02:10 AM

Yep. They do seem to go together. Here's mine, 1972 LS5 (454) Convertible with 4-spd. Transmission.

Sorry Fat Cat. I've Edelbrock Victor Jr. Heads on it with a Holly intake.
Old 12-12-2018, 03:53 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld
Cool

Al: Ok, now I know why your name has always sounded familiar.

I out grew such toys long ago.

'59 Chevy Belaire 348 valve eating POS. Cop car. First year they'd put
FULL positive traction on the road. Couldn't spin just one wheel even on ice. Two speed powerglide. A go fast car.

In '63 just about 1500 miles on rebuilding it after it ate a valve that went out the pan, and busted a sleeve and head. Even broke one end off the wrist pin.

No heads to be found except a pair planed off. Bored to the max, don't know the lift, was told it was a "3/4" racing cam". I do know the timing was over halfway around from stock just to get it to run.

BIL and I were out cruising around and he said: "they're running drags at Castle Rock today, I'll buy the gas and pay the fee's to see how this thing will run, fastest car I've ever been in". "hell yeah".

No class markings, just paid the fee and ran once. Got a ticket that said 107.2mph, I don't recall the time now, way too long ago. That was at 6500' alt. No one said a word about it being fast or anything else. I ran, we watched maybe a dozen others and came home.

In '66 wife and I went up to watch, long after the car was gone. Fastest time in the same class mine was: 101, 102 mph got trophy's. I've wondered what the deal was all these years. Maybe because I didn't register the car into a class is all I can figure.
Al? Any ideas?

Nice rides guys. Sure beats what I'm running now. '04 Buick LeSaber, and '95 Ram 4x4. Fine for a crippled up old fart like me. Though I sure did my part at wearing back tires out, a couple times even made a series of LONG spins that wore the sidewalls to the tread on all four--on both sides of the tires too! First time on Mom's hotrod '55 Chevy. I paid in blood and bruises for that set of tires! oooh jeeze did Dad ever get P'd about that!

Shucks, I even still have my old '69 C-10 work truck. Needs a trans rebuild., or another owner.

Big question now: Have any of you ever hot rodded around a gravel corner and sheared a fire plug off at the ground? Costly I'll tell you that much! Even more so when wages were a $1 an hour.

The amazing thing is I never could keep wrinkles out of the paint on my cars. Yet I drove right at a million miles OTR long haul and never scratched a thing.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 12-13-2018 at 05:30 AM.