Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-2019, 03:47 PM

Default 17 caliber bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 218bee View Post
Does it come down to price? I guess you guys in the west are shooting hundreds or thousands of rounds. If I have a good summer I might shoot 40 groundhogs.
Midsouth shooters carries them as Varmint nightmare, Midway USA carries them as Dogtown. But they are both put out by Nosler (basically Nosler's Shots, cup and core hp's)
Shooting hundreds to thousands, yes cost does come into play.
But with that said, they are very accurate, with the proper load work up and work well for me, in both 17 and 20 caliber, all the way to the 400 yard mark and sometimes beyond.
Think you would be surprised on how well they do shoot, if you tried them.
For me, sad to say, come July 2019 to be legal in this commie state of mine, I will have to stop using them on game with the full bore lead free laws going into effect. So they will be for plinking and targets/paper for me then.
Working on some of the lead free bullets now, for when the time comes. Reed's in 17 cal and Noslers in the 20's & 224's. Bill K
Old 01-30-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Does the HP act more like a "game" bullet?
Less explosive but not like a game bullet. I have only shot them in factory Hornady .17H ammo, and they still turn a PDog in to mush, but not liquid like a Vmax. It's kind of weird but they seem to knock them off the mound harder. That may just be because of the weight, 25 vs 20 grains however.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
Less explosive but not like a game bullet. I have only shot them in factory Hornady .17H ammo, and they still turn a PDog in to mush, but not liquid like a Vmax. It's kind of weird but they seem to knock them off the mound harder. That may just be because of the weight, 25 vs 20 grains however.
Correct. The hp's don't seem to be as explosive as the tipped style in either weight. But they still open and give the ground squirrels flying lessons. Bill K
Old 01-30-2019, 04:30 PM

I was using 25gr Kindler Golds, till they ran out. Now I'm using Reed's 26gr RBBT SP out of my CZ.
Old 01-30-2019, 06:05 PM

I'm sure they would do fine in a 17 Remington. I have ran them from 3200 -3800 and no problems. I couldn't tell you how many thousand I have shot but alot.
I will shoot 2-5 thousand 17@20 cal v- nitemares a year.
It starts to add up pretty fast at around14.00or 15.00 a hundred instead of 9.00 or 10.00. I think when i first started shooting the 17's they were somewhere around 32-36 dollars for 500.00
Old 01-30-2019, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Does it come down to price? I guess you guys in the west are shooting hundreds or thousands of rounds. If I have a good summer I might shoot 40 groundhogs.
Not much high density shooting here in Pa also...…..
Old 01-30-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb in Pa View Post
When you can go out into the pivots and shoot ground squirrels like we do around here, you can very easily go through 200-300 shots in a morning. If you stay all day, with some resting in mid day even more. And when you go out 2-4 mornings a week you can use a lot of bullets. So cost, along with performance does enter into it. Just saying. Bill K
Old 01-30-2019, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Midsouth shooters carries them as Varmint nightmare, Midway USA carries them as Dogtown. But they are both put out by Nosler (basically Nosler's Shots, cup and core hp's)
Shooting hundreds to thousands, yes cost does come into play.
But with that said, they are very accurate, with the proper load work up and work well for me, in both 17 and 20 caliber, all the way to the 400 yard mark and sometimes beyond.
Think you would be surprised on how well they do shoot, if you tried them.
For me, sad to say, come July 2019 to be legal in this commie state of mine, I will have to stop using them on game with the full bore lead free laws going into effect. So they will be for plinking and targets/paper for me then.
Working on some of the lead free bullets now, for when the time comes. Reed's in 17 cal and Noslers in the 20's & 224's. Bill K
Bill,
Sorry to hear about your state's ban on lead. It really makes your choices limited.
Old 01-30-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
moorepower and Bill K,

Have you ever tried to reduce the velocity on the 25 gr HP to see how it behaves? For example, if I had a reduced load at 2000 fps and I saw a rabbit to shoot, would it blow it to bits or give me rabbit stew?
Old 01-30-2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb in Pa View Post
I have noticed a continual decline in numbers of groundhogs. Have you noticed the same in PA? I am not sure if it is just where I hunt or everywhere?