Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-30-2019, 06:23 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

Concerning used 223 brass, sounds like Kevin Gullette and trapperdan offer pretty good advice.

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Old 01-30-2019, 04:27 PM

I kind of figure if and or when I get a .20 VT that instead of spending $2-300 on equipment to make it, I will be using one of the guys that forms it. $40 per hundred, ready to neck turn from High Plains brass!
Old 01-30-2019, 07:09 PM

I got lucky and sourced over a 1000 rounds of 221FB brass when I took the 20VT plunge. That should last me a while.

As to the 223 brass, and I am not an expert that some of these guys are, I would sort to the brand that you want to load as LE brass is often several brands based on costs and availability. Second, take your time. I have found that forcing my way through the process without taking a break gets old and takes the fun out of it. Might suggest just determining a reasonable number before you start for a sitting and then stop before it gets old.

My FIL converted a bunch of 223 to 17M4. I don't have the patience to do that project. He acquired the converting dies and motorized a neck turner to speed up that process, but it still took a lot of time. To the extent that you can, figure out a way to mechanize the process, that may help some.

Good luck.
Old 01-30-2019, 08:37 PM

My two cents. Sorted (year), prepped, new LC cases will yield top quality, life-time 20VT brass. Not saying it is better than the rest but I AM saying that it is at least as good as any other.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
I kind of figure if and or when I get a .20 VT that instead of spending $2-300 on equipment to make it, I will be using one of the guys that forms it. $40 per hundred, ready to neck turn from High Plains brass!
High Plains Brass is a good way to go whenever they may have it in stock. I've been on their waiting list for awhile now.
Old 01-31-2019, 07:24 PM

High Plains does a nice job of forming the VT. Just be ready to accept mixed headstamps, then final length trim, thickness trim, de-bur flash holes, uniform primer pockets and anneal. It's a great price, just be aware of the amount of time you still need to put into it.

Last edited by ramos; 01-31-2019 at 07:26 PM. Reason: correction
Old 02-01-2019, 12:22 PM
Supporting Member

tagging for future reference
Old 02-01-2019, 12:39 PM

Buddy made up a jig years ago to cut 30-30 brass down on the band saw. Seems like you could cut 10-12 at a time. Changed the blade too.
Old 02-01-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramos View Post
High Plains does a nice job of forming the VT. Just be ready to accept mixed headstamps, then final length trim, thickness trim, de-bur flash holes, uniform primer pockets and anneal. It's a great price, just be aware of the amount of time you still need to put into it.
I get that, and if I was shooting sage rats like you lucky guys, I am sure it would be worth it. I kind of forgot but I still have 300 pc of Remington .221fb brass set aside for a .20VT. I see some have done a single pass in a .20 VT die along with normal prep work and had success. Possibly when I retire I will have more time for case forming! Right now working 15-20 hrs of OT a week, I will pay someone else. Hopefully next spring I will have a chance to make the trek half way across the country and help thin the sage rat population and run out of ammo, IF Oregon still allows ammo by then.
Old 02-01-2019, 06:03 PM

Default vartarg forming

I have formed several thousand and I use the same procedures as posted by Ramos with the exception of , I have a small cordless reciprocating saw with a fine metal cutting blade that I cut the excess off at the top of the second forming. then a quick file and it's close to full length. for me, the Redding forming dies make all the difference. I can't imagine forming without them. I also have two presses set up next to each other which help with production. good luck.