Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-02-2019, 02:31 AM

Default Question about this site

I've noticed that the site is not secure. Is there something that could be done about this?
I like this site but will stop checking in if this isn't fixed.
Thanks
Promach
Old 02-02-2019, 05:27 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Newbie making demands on a 20 year old site??

Don't post anything you don't want public, simple, right?

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 02-02-2019, 12:06 PM

If you live in the U.S., and are on the web, there is no security and no privacy.
It's been gone for a looooong time.
Old 02-02-2019, 12:20 PM

Default Site security

I have noticed the warning from my browser in the past but I’m not sure what parameters are used to determine if a site is “secure”. I have been around here a long time and while the site has been hit by spammers a few times in the past, I have not heard of any real issues arising here.

I don’t think there is a lot of sensitive data to be stolen here, other than any login passwords used to access this site that are also used as passwords to access other sites that may contain more sensitive data. Reusing passwords is a basic no-no for internet travels that everyone should practice.

I don’t know if the site is more easily hacked to allow the installation of malicious code than others that are considered “safe”? I am absolutely certain that this site is “safer” from the BS that is allowed on most other forums. I guess until I know what is deemed “unsafe” about the site I will continue to use it.

No commercial intended here but I use Linux / Apple systems for all internet excursions as they seem to be less susceptable to malicious code than Windows systems.

Gary

NRA Endowment Life Member
Old 02-02-2019, 01:12 PM

I don't completely understand it but basically if you aren't purchasing directly from a site, secure or insecure doesn't matter, I secured my Blog and it cost me over $400 for 5 years. I sell nothing there, in my opinion I wasted the money other than not having to field questions like this. JMO
Old 02-02-2019, 02:35 PM

I have never got a bug from here, but I do run pay to play antivirus. I guess they could charge to be a member here, because they do almost no advertising.
Old 02-02-2019, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerald D. View Post
I don't completely understand it but basically if you aren't purchasing directly from a site, secure or insecure doesn't matter, I secured my Blog and it cost me over $400 for 5 years. I sell nothing there, in my opinion I wasted the money other than not having to field questions like this. JMO
Just took a peek at your blog, if you call 10 minutes a peek! Nice work!
Old 02-02-2019, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promach View Post
I've noticed that the site is not secure.
I think what you mean is that the connection between the web server for this site and your browser is not encrypted. There is no reason for it to be. We are intentionally sharing information here in a public forum. If you read a newspaper do you worry about someone looking over your shoulder and seeing the same thing? Or do you buy a newspaper, take it to a locked room with no windows to read it?
Old 02-02-2019, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
Newbie making demands on a 20 year old site??

Don't post anything you don't want public, simple, right?
He didn't "demand" anything. He asked a simple question. Get over yourself and quit being so hard on "newbies". You don't "own" this site. dedogs
PS I'm the guy you slammed on his very first post here a couple years back.
Old 02-02-2019, 03:49 PM
Supporting Member

Maybe this will help define secure versus non-secure. No doubt, when you enter your password here, it travels the internet trail without encryption, but if that bothers anyone, just change your password used here frequently.

https://info.ssl.com/article.aspx?id=10068

If you were buying things directly off this site with credit cards, etc., or if sensitive information of some type was being exchanged here, encryption would be needed. As some have stated, this is an information sharing site and other than your password, not much data can be mined unless someone has specifically targeted you for some specific information, and then they'll likely get that information anyway whether a site is secure or not.

A normal cell phone has more opportunities/ability through various apps on your phone to intrude into your life than a non-secure information sharing web site like Saubier does.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine