Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 11-24-2009, 03:56 PM

Default .20 Practical questions

After my first prairie dog hunt in june ("The most fun you can have with your clothes on!") I decided I need a .204. Rather than go .204 Ruger I want to go .20 Practical in AR format.

Rather than a complete upper ($pendy) I want to go with just a barrel and swap it in one of my existing uppers. I have a customized Oly and an RRA that are absolute tack drivers in .223. My Colt HBar Match Target is oddly not as accurate as either, so I will probably modify that one.

So I have a few questions:
1. Does this round require a rifle length gas system or can it use a carbine length system?
2. Who do you recommend for an AR barrel in this caliber? I will see from them what information, cases, etc they need from me but accuracy is all important.
3. Is there anything 'special' or different about the Colt uppers?

I'd appreciate any advice
Many thanks
Mark
Old 11-24-2009, 11:51 PM

I can throw in my 2 cents.

1. I don't see why you can't use carbine or rifle length, but don't know for sure.
2. As for just barrels, their isn't many people selling ready to go barrels. WOA sells 20 practical barrels (which is a PacNor barrel) and a guy from Colorado also does them (forgot the name). You can get reamers made and have a company chamber it for you. I think I might do this with Satern barrels on my next 20 Practical.
3. I don't know of anything special about Colt uppers.