Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 01-09-2017, 07:43 PM

Default Anyone shooting a 22 BR

Thinking of adding a 22 BR to the varmint stable and it would most likely be a Cooper. Anyone shooting one and any comments on forming brass? I have read mixed comments about a donut forming when using a bushing die. What dies are you guys using?
Old 01-09-2017, 08:52 PM

Wink

Redding 22BR dies, turn necks to true up, all is good!!
Old 01-10-2017, 01:23 AM

My shooting partner built one on a Savage Target Action for his son, probably at least two years ago. The kid had a fancy paint job put on the stock, and so far as I know, it's still unfired.

They pretty much use Redding dies exclusively.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slickshot223 View Post
Redding 22BR dies, turn necks to true up, all is good!!
Yep, exactly what I do. I squeeze Lapua brass down, turn the necks and load. This is for a tight neck chamber, .250.
Old 01-10-2017, 02:05 PM
Supporting Member

Built on a Savage action, set up for the bench. Don't like that caliber? Swap barrels and try something else.
6 BR brass run thru a bushing die down to 22 will get you in the ball park. After that, sizing mandrel to make sure the necks are in good shape. Change bushings to get the proper neck tension OR one pass thru a full length 22 BR die and you're done. Standard neck so no neck turning and more shooting.
Only thing you have to be aware of is: You don't dump powder in and go like you do the 6 BR. You change powder charge a "very" little at a time. One mistake and you'll be looking for a hammer to beat the bolt open and a can to throw your newly formed junk brass in.
Other than that, the 22 BR is deadly accurate and fun to shoot. Brass makes no difference. Lapua OR Norma both work like a dream.
Watch your powder charge and have fun. I went with a ZERO freebore and the lightest bullets I could get my hands on. Started with 50s and go heavier as the throat wears. Bullets stuffed .010 into the lands. You can always adjust from there. And, I HAVE pulled a few bullets opening the bolt on a unfired round.
Watch what you're doing, plan ahead and have fun.
Donuts? If you get donuts, use a mandrel, push them to the outside and turn it off OR start with lighter bullets that won't get to the donut. Never had an issue with flat base bullets.

Last edited by Nor Cal Mikie; 01-10-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-14-2017, 04:48 PM

Default 22 br

I have one on a REM. XR-100 action. 1:12 twist Lilia barrel. It is deadly with anything from 40 to 60 grain bullets. I use a set of Forster FL dies that I had Forster grind neck to .246. I neck down 6 BR brass, then run a mandrel in brass and lightly neck turn to base of shoulder. Has worked well for me without worrying about donuts. Forster will home the neck of one of their dies to a custom diameter for $12 plus shipping. Once done you just load and forget about what bushings you need.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by th82457 View Post
I have one on a REM. XR-100 action. 1:12 twist Lilia barrel. It is deadly with anything from 40 to 60 grain bullets. I use a set of Forster FL dies that I had Forster grind neck to .246. I neck down 6 BR brass, then run a mandrel in brass and lightly neck turn to base of shoulder. Has worked well for me without worrying about donuts. Forster will home the neck of one of their dies to a custom diameter for $12 plus shipping. Once done you just load and forget about what bushings you need.
Very, very good advise here!
Old 01-15-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ackleyman View Post
very, very good advise here!
ditto! rg
Old 02-07-2017, 03:57 PM

I've got one in an old 40XBR. It's a tight neck chamber, so I turn necks. Heck the entire chamber is tight, and I start my Lapua brass with a pass through a small base die, after which I have no problem.

My barrel is slow twist 1/14, so I pretty much shoot light bullets that aren't long enough to be bothered by a doughnut.

I don't even use a bushing die for mine, simply sizing from 6br to 22 in one pass through a Redding FL sizer. I am going to get an expander mandrel however to hit the necks with to get away from the expander button thing.

I'm not shooting competition groups, but I'm getting a lot in the .3's and most under .5, without working too hard at it. Been using BLC, H335, Benchmark, and even 4895 and 4320. Since I've had this rifle, it's hardly shot a single group as big as an inch. jd
Old 02-07-2017, 07:17 PM

I shoot a Cooper 22BR Phoenix with a 8-twist barrel. I'm shooting the 75grn A-Max bullets with Varget powder. My longest woodchuck killed is 814 yards. Lapua brass with no donut issues. Really happy with this combination.