Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 04-25-2017, 02:55 AM
Supporting Member

Smile Will it Ever come clean ?

Picked up a USED Savage model 12, in 223. It sports a heavy fluted barrel. Guessing it's spent some time on a dog town.
Been cleaning on it forever.
I've been throwing everything down that bore that I have ! Bronze brushes, Plastic brushes. Patch Out. Rem Bore Cleaner the gritty stuff, CLP, and Slip2000 Carbon killer.

Can't get a clean patch.
I'm going to take it to the range the next nice day and see if I've done anything to improve that one inch group from the last time.

Any advice, except sell it ?

Jim
Old 04-25-2017, 03:00 AM
Supporting Member

JB should take it down to bare metal if chemicals can't.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:50 AM

Default Will it

Try some BoreTech!
Old 04-25-2017, 04:05 AM
Supporting Member

Be careful you don't get it "too clean". You might end up needing to fouling it again to get it to shoot. Don't clean it any more than needed. And if it's a factory barrel, 1" might be good.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:10 AM
Supporting Member

Default dejavu !!!

I started reading this thread, stopped and went back and double checked who started it. You see I thought it was an old post I made that had been resurrected! I have a mdl 12 stainless varmint with a fluted barrel in 223 that mines copper like nobody's business. I can't afford the amount of wipeout, sweets, brushes, patches....I could go on. I've left that rifle in the cradle for a week at a time cleaning it and can still get copper out of it. Probably has 1500 rounds down it and still shoots moa or less. Borescoping it is scary, looks like 5 miles of bad road. I now clean it about every 150 rounds, call it done.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:03 AM

If Montana Extreme Copper Killer(50 B.M.G. special formula) won't get it out, sell the barrel. I'm 65yo & don't know how many hundreds of dollars I've spent on copper removal products but this Montana Extreme "IS" the best without using abrasive cleaners.

Jim D
Old 04-25-2017, 06:00 AM

Shoot it till the groups open up, then clean.

Have had several factory Savage barrels just like it. Couple were real shooters too.

Unrealistic to expect a mass produced unlapped broached or buttoned barrel to act like an aftermarket barrel.

for a varminting/plinker one thing that helps a bit is to use 3-4 of the Tubb TMS bullets (after scrubbing) from time to time. Load them very mild, like 2000-2200 FPS. The TMS fine grit, not the course ones. Helps get rid of the high spots that grab jacket. Need to get rid of all the hard carbon first, and nothing will do that but JB or Iosso, chemicals don't touch hard carbon, only the soft stuff. Frequently on abused barrels you'll get a layer of carbon over a layer of copper over a layer of carbon over a layer of copper in streaks you gotta scrub the beejeezus out of it and monitor with a bore scope.
Old 04-25-2017, 11:29 AM

Default Cannot get barrel clean

maybe the prior owner was using molly coated bullets? I could never get all the molly out of barrels, even using stuff specifically for molly removal.

just a thought
Old 04-25-2017, 01:00 PM

Not every load is going to shoot tiny groups in every barrel it's put through. Try a couple of different combinations before frustration gets the best of you.

The only thing I might add to the preceding cleaning comments, automotive fuel injector cleaner works great to remove carbon fouling. I've tried all sorts of it, and prefer BG or Motorvac MV3. YMMV. Quicksilver outboard carb cleaner also works great for that. I agree that Montana Extreme is great for copper removal.

If your patience runs out, I like Savages...
Old 04-25-2017, 01:04 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Arner View Post
maybe the prior owner was using molly coated bullets? I could never get all the molly out of barrels, even using stuff specifically for molly removal.

just a thought
This ocurred to me. It may be the case.

Thanks for the replies ! I will look at Boretech, and Montana Extreme Copper Killer !

I loaded up 20rds with IMR's 4166, and some 50gr V-maxs. I also have some CFE.

Thanks again ! Just hoping for a better range report ! I'll keep you posted !

Jim