Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 11-28-2018, 01:14 PM

Default Priming cases. Which priming tool do you use?

For years I primed my cases in a single stage press and later switched over to the RCBS hand priming tool. The one I use requires a shell holder. It comes with the plastic tray to hold large or small primers. It has worked okay over time, but occasionally doesn't feel quite right when seating a primer.

I have seen many different hand priming tools on the market now and started thinking about getting another one.

Is there one priming tool that stands out among the others that seems to be better?

Any pros or cons on the priming tool you are currently using?

Last edited by jimreed1948; 11-28-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-28-2018, 01:37 PM
Supporting Member

Die hard here! Lee Auto Prime. Keep working the old ones till they give up. One for LR and another for SR. Been told the newer design doesn't work as well as the older ones but don't know if that's fact or not. Considered a different maker but havn't got to that point yet. My older Lee Auto Prime's are still working.
Old 11-28-2018, 02:01 PM

For those that know Arthur Itis, here's an option:

http://rcbs.com/Products/Priming/Too...ming-Tool.aspx
Old 11-28-2018, 02:43 PM

I should have mentioned before, I'm trying to save space on the reloading bench. At one time I did use the RCBS that there is a link to. It worked without issues, but after moving a couple of times I need more top space on the bench.
Old 11-28-2018, 03:58 PM
Supporting Member

Hard to beat a hand primer for feel. If you read the CCI info on primers, seating them too shallow or too deep it the number one cause of misfires. With a hand primer it is pretty easy to get them just right. I use an old round tray Lee and a couple of RCBS hand held. The tray one when I have a large number of cases, the single load RCBS when I am doing 20 or less.
Old 11-28-2018, 04:56 PM

Awhile back I broke the handle on my Lee hand primer and was in need of one right now. My local Sportsman's Warehouse only had the Frankford Arsenal priming tool that comes in the box with all the different shell holders. Right out of the box it didn't function properly and wouldn't feed the primers through the tray. The casting was a little rough but it was an easy fix with a little sand paper. It's run flawless since. The Frankford Arsenal hand primer is pretty robust so I doubt I can break this one, but it is a tad on the heavy side, not a big deal but it is noticeable.

https://www.amazon.com/Frankford-Ars...d+priming+tool
Old 11-28-2018, 07:01 PM

Single stage press for many, many years. Wanted a hand primer and tried to save a few bucks by getting the RCBS universal unit. Used that for a couple years and finally coughed up the dough for the Sinclair version. It's everything I had hoped for and more. Consistent, adjustable, excellent feel and a beauty to look at if you appreciate fine craftsmanship.
Old 11-28-2018, 08:06 PM

The hand priming tool that came with my RCBS Rock Chucker kit is the only tool I have used. So far, so good.
Old 11-28-2018, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimreed1948 View Post
I should have mentioned before, I'm trying to save space on the reloading bench. At one time I did use the RCBS that there is a link to. It worked without issues, but after moving a couple of times I need more top space on the bench.
I went full circle trying several hand priming units from Lee & RCBS. But eventually I went to the RCBS bench model as pictured. I made a clamp for it so I could put it anywhere along my loading bench & tighten down with 1 thumb screw. Works great & I store it away when not in use. There is not so much mechanical leverage in the unit that you can't feel the primer being properly seated. I might add that I uniform all primer pockets with a sinclair tool on a case's initial loading.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:21 PM

+1 on the primer pocket uniforming. When going for consistent seating by 'feel' every pocket needs to be as close to identical as possible. You can feel the primer bottom out using about any seater. It's that last ever so tiny bit after that greater sensitivity really pays off. A uniformer should have a positive depth stop, make the hole round, flatten the bottom and square off the junction of the wall/bottom. Punched pockets, especially, will have a rounded wall to bottom transition.

How far a fellah takes brass prep is a personal decision. I give it high priority but try to keep in mind that the cases are not responsible for a successful lunar landing, if that makes sense.