Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-09-2019, 11:53 PM
Supporting Member

Where ya moving to? I hate moving itself (who don't) but sometimes the destination is well worth the misery. Hope that's the case in your move .
If you're moving somewhere those rifles won't get shot You are welcome to leave em at my house and I'd be glad to feed and exercise them so to speak .
Old 02-10-2019, 04:42 AM

I will be moving back home, east of Ramos in southern Morrow county. I will be about sixty miles southeast of Pendleton, Ione is home. I will be somewhere in that general area. Some friends have a 1,000 yard range, steel gongs every 100 yards. Of course the area is infested with sage rats. Coyotes are a legitimate target as well. I hope to stay this time, been moving back and forth since 1965. There is something special about a small town, there were nine of us in my High School class. I don't do well in a big city!
Bill
Old 02-10-2019, 05:09 AM
Supporting Member

It that in Oregon?
Old 02-10-2019, 06:06 AM

Yes, Ione is twenty eight miles south of the Columbia river on highway 74. Sorry not including that info, my brain is frozen... damp cold is worse than dry for me.
Bill
Old 02-10-2019, 02:09 PM

Default This is the last one,, I swear.

Better check out Oregon's gun laws, they are going nuts like Commie California, Washington and N.Y. with these new politicians moving in. A lot of proposed laws that will sure not favor hunters and gun owners. It is a very sad situation now days with how politicians are going after gun owners and not doing a thing to stop criminals. Bill K
Old 02-10-2019, 03:02 PM

I live, if you can call it that, about three miles from where the nasties make their self serving laws. Salem Oregon is a mess, had to move here to take care of my parents. That job has been completed just waiting for probate to finish, then back home for me. I was born in Oregon and have lived most of my life here. I lived in Alaska and Washington. always ending back here in Oregon. I love eastern Oregon, still a bit of sanity left there and dear friends.
Bill
Old 02-10-2019, 06:59 PM
Supporting Member

As the first half of my good friend "Rick in Oregon" 's signature says.

"Rick in Oregon - The East Side, where common sense still prevails".
There must be some good folks out there cause he is, and you soon will be .

Back in the 70's I went over near Umatilla, Oregon to fish for Sturgeon. We fished in 120 foot of water and used railroad spikes for sinkers, no kidding. They were a slot bracket fishery at that time. Fish had to be over 3 ft and under 6 ft. Went with a friend who really knew what he was doing. My first trip of 5 or 6 trips I caught one that was 5 foot-10inches and weighed 110lbs he figured, "perfect fish my buddy said". We filleted it and froze it into small steaks, no bones just cartilage and when cooked it just disappeared into a gelatin like substance. Absolutely delicious white meat fish.
Very fond memory . Second fishing trip I got into one fish right after we got there. I was leaning into him for a while and my buddy says "let me get a feel a that fish". I gave him the pole and he reared back into him a couple a times then handed me my pole back and said "break em off", "Why I asked in shock". He said "You're gonna fight that fish all day and if ya do ever get him to the boat it's gonna be way to big to be able to keep!" Amazing how difficult it was to break em off.
Only went a few times but it was a most fun and interesting experience.
Old 02-10-2019, 09:39 PM

We used to fish for sturgeon in the same area, just below the grain elevator where they loaded barges. It was plenty deep there and had to keep the motor running to hold in the current. Above the dam at Umatilla we would fish at night for channel catfish. I am not sure if I would eat anything out of that river now. Did you ever smoke any of your sturgeon. My neighbors caught a few and everyone in town, that had a smoker, was smoking sturgeon... GOOD STUFF! I guess I should mention that the large grain elevator is just downstream from Irrigon, west of Umatilla. I forgot about the size limits in those days. A friend had never caught a sturgeon, his was 6' 1", arrived in Ione with a broken nose! He wasn't about to give up that fish!
Bill

Last edited by Flynmoose; 02-10-2019 at 09:42 PM. Reason: More info