Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-08-2019, 07:49 PM

Default When to neck turn?

Something new to me and for safety reasons feel its best to ask.

Have some .243 cases doing a whole lot of nothing and figured I'd trim them and resize them to 6.5 CM. The brass is Federal. After sizing them and loading them up I measured the necks against some Hornady 6.5 CM brass rounds and I'm getting a difference of 0.290 vs 0.291 or so. They both have seated bullets in them when taking the measurement.

Is this acceptable tolerance? Or do i need to turn the necks?
Old 02-08-2019, 08:30 PM
Supporting Member

Default Chamber diameter

You need to know the neck diameter of the chamber. Try measuring a fired case that has not been resized - this will typically be about .001 below actual chamber diameter. If the Chamber diameter is .294 or better you should be fine.
Old 02-08-2019, 08:30 PM

I guess it really depends on your rifle.

Your neck increase is only .001 inch, which is .0005 from side to side. If you have a custom chamber with a tight neck, it should be stamped on the barrel or you would do a chamber cast to determine the true diameter of the neck. If you have an off-the-shelf rifle, you are good to go because you could get more variation simply by picking a different brand of brass.

If you have already fired the rifle with 6.5 Creedmoore ammo, measure the necks of the fired cases. The chamber neck diameter will be a bit greater because the brass springs back.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:28 PM

Its a Bullberry barrel on a Rem 7 action.

Thank you for the advice. I will fire a round loaded from a factory Hornady case and measure it... Measuring the mouth thickness on both are both at 0.015 and both inner necks read 0.260.

There are also some minor dents from pushing the shoulder back, will it form out during firing or is this a bad thing?

Just being precautious.
Old 02-08-2019, 10:43 PM

Default When to neck turn ?

[
There are also some minor dents from pushing the shoulder back, will it form out during firing or is this a bad thing?

Just being precautious. [/quote]

The minor dents are more than likely from just a little too much lube when you size. Put a thinner amount on and see if that stops it.
You may have to clean the inside of your die and remove a buildup of lube also. Bill K
Old 02-09-2019, 04:57 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Hey if you can make it, and it works GO For it!

Just don't blow things up and get hurt from the start

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 02-09-2019, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
Hey if you can make it, and it works GO For it!

Just don't blow things up and get hurt from the start
Damn George you really know how to make a guy feel confident
Old 02-09-2019, 07:16 PM

The dents will form out without problem - if they camber and headspace is correct. Creases, on the other hand, usually split. Not so, for "lube" dents.

Take a normal case and fire it. If the bullets will easily drop into the fired case, there is no need to turn or ream.

Normally when necking up a smaller diameter neck, the brass thins and thus no need to turn or ream.

If necking down 7mm/08 or .308 brass, it is quite possible the neck walls will be too tight. Again, fire a light load and check to see if the bullet can easily be pushed into the fired case. If it does not go in easily, the necks have to be turned or reamed.

.001" is NOTHING - as noted .0005" per side, when the normal case mouth expansion in standard American HUNTING rifle Chambers is .005" to .008".

It is normal even in BR cases, to have up to .002" cast to case. Walt Berger won a BR match once when he forgot his match ammo which was only .0015" variation side to side and shot the match with .003" out of round cases.(necks thicker on one side) That was his fouling shot ammo. WON!
Old 02-10-2019, 09:51 PM

Daryl, that brings me back to a clearer mind set, lol

I have only been reloading for a few years now so I have a tendency to be overly cautious. Not to say you should ever not be, but I check things a million times then a million more.

My Hornday manual has a measurement of .295 for the standard 6.5CM case neck OD. I loaded some Speer 90gr tnt's and H414. The reading is 0.291 with the bullet seated.

On a interesting note- Nosler released a 90gr varmageddon for the .264 can't wait to try them.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingle View Post

I have only been reloading for a few years now so I have a tendency to be overly cautious. Not to say you should ever not be, but I check things a million times then a million more.

My Hornday manual has a measurement of .295 for the standard 6.5CM case neck OD. I loaded some Speer 90gr tnt's and H414. The reading is 0.291 with the bullet seated.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Having experienced a serious reloading mistake that cost me an eye years ago, I don't think it's possible to be overly cautious. Period.

Your case neck OD measurement on that particular case should be the same no matter what bullet or powder you use. It may pay to check to see what the measurement is on several loaded rounds. If there is a lot of variation, it may be a good idea to neck turn, or ream, just to enhance consistency. Like others said, though, if you can drop a bullet into the neck of a fired case, you should have no need to do that. If you're into really fussy loading, a chamber cast with cerrosafe may bring you some peace of mind too, as well as giving an indication of what steps may be in order.