Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-23-2018, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Redneck View Post
Noticed he said that before about Reeds bullets. That they were over size or something? Never had any problems with them in old .142 barrels or .144 barrels. Have shot a lot of different 14 caliber bullets over the years. Made by myself and different bullet makers. Some better than others, Reed's are as good as any, better than some. When I have groups open up I start checking everything. With the small calibers like 17 and 14, especially the 14, I start checking for barrel fouling. The tiny barrels are not easy to clean and fouling opens groups quickly. It is also easy to erode the throat pushing the tiny pills at warp speeds. I have a 14/221 that as throat erosion set in groups opened quickly. Bad thing about Contender barrels is not being able to set them back. I'm thankful Reed is keeping the sub calibers alive. After Eichelburger died and with Small Caliber News gone Reed is only one actively supporting them. I gave up on having the 10 and 12 caliber barrels made several years ago. Thank You Mr. Reed for hanging in there.
Yes, but why did he accept a new bullet die that was .0015 larger in diameter than his original bullet diameter of .1435. That is a huge difference
in a bullet of that diameter. He did try to work with me and sent some bullets that were .1450 diameter without a pressure ring but they really looked like they had been reworked, many showing wrinkles in the jacket, and they shot as bad as the others. Funny thing was after I got some Extreme Accuracy bullets I started getting good groups again so I can't really blame the loads or the barrel. Thank you for your post, I appreciate it. Too bad that Reeds seem to be the only .14 caliber bullets available these days.

John

Last edited by JohnW...ski; 12-23-2018 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-23-2018, 08:35 PM

Wish i had the money to start making them.. i cant imagine its cheap to get set up to smash out projectiles..
Old 12-25-2018, 01:30 PM

Default Bullet making

I haven't made the subcaliber bullets for myself in several years. Berger doesn't make the short J4 jacket cups for 17's that made the really good 14's. Longer cups requires more trimming as cups reduced to 14. I can make jackets from 22 rimfire hulls, also a multi step process just to make the 14 caliber jacket cups. The cores also have to be swaged from lead wire. Then seated into jacket cups, then ran into point form die and then pointed, another step. Each bullet requires 7 plus steps on a bullet press. Think pulling handle 700 or more times for 100 bullets. I still swag larger caliber bullets. The subcaliber are not worth the effort when I can buy them and they work in barrels .142 and .144. Have changed loads when changing bullets to see what bullet/barrel combo liked. That has been true with different guns in different calibers over the years. Had a 22/250 that used 3 different powders with 3 different bullets. Another 22/250 shot just about everything to same point of aim/impact. Part of the fun of shooting is finding out what a gun shoots best. They are often like women and can be fickle.

Last edited by The Old Redneck; 12-25-2018 at 01:32 PM.