Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 02-10-2019, 07:40 PM

Haters always be hating.

I agree some may not see things the same as the next guy, but if thats their prerogative then all the better.

I know I have a handful of crazy idea's I would like to try. One would be right up your alley as I know you like your 32's, I would like to do a glock 42 in a modern 7.65 french longue made from .327 fed mag brass and run it 45k psi. i'm willing to bet it would best .380 ballistics. but to keep the OAL down use a bullet like hornady's 85gr XTP. I may even pick up an extra round capacity wise. Then there's all my variants of my Mamba cartridges, a 50 cal subsonic from WSM brass and so on
Old 02-11-2019, 04:01 AM

the idea is a center fire .22lr replacement.

Just necking down the .25acp witht he hornet die is more then enough. get the right neck diameter and such. just works. Its not about capacity when TYPICAL powder charges for 22LR seems to be 1-1.5 grains of unknown mystery powders.

Gamo Viper air shotgun kind of kills reloadable center fire 22lr.

Make that case out of good brass, drill the bottom for a small rifle primer, and as long as the front takes a properly sized pellet or lead bb, you have your replacement round.
Old 02-11-2019, 12:15 PM

Default Missing the point

He is making a centerfire 22 that fits a 22 long rifle chamber. I have the reamers to do 25 acp cases to 22 through 14 caliber. The 22/25 acp may duplicate his round ballistically but requires rechambering, will not fit or feed through mags etc. It is a different round. It will not do what he is building his round to do. I can load the 22/25 acp down to 22 rimfire ballistics but it will not fit my 22 long rifle contender barrel. After rechambering a 22 long rifle barrel to 22/25 acp the 22 long rifle will no longer work in the Contender barrel. You are missing the point of what he is doing.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketshaver View Post
the idea is a center fire .22lr replacement.

Just necking down the .25acp witht he hornet die is more then enough. get the right neck diameter and such. just works. Its not about capacity when TYPICAL powder charges for 22LR seems to be 1-1.5 grains of unknown mystery powders.

Gamo Viper air shotgun kind of kills reloadable center fire 22lr.

Make that case out of good brass, drill the bottom for a small rifle primer, and as long as the front takes a properly sized pellet or lead bb, you have your replacement round.
To start with, I'll say that I'm pretty happy doing things in a way that works for me. I know they work, because I've put in the effort to experiment with a lot of different theories to find what does work.

As I said, I have nothing against the 25 ACP necked down to whatever caliber you want, but just running a .25 ACP case into a cut down hornet die won't give you a usable piece of brass. I can say with some confidence you haven't tried it, or you'd know that already. I have tried it, along with a lot of other things that didn't work.

If I was going to use an airgun as a .22LR replacement, I'd choose something with more uumph than a Gamo Viper.

Or are you suggesting that the "shotshell" they use should somehow be used as a replacement in another .22? Factory and aftermarket "shells" for the Gamo Viper are bored through at .220" meaning that a LP primer would just slide through. In order to use the cases in another gun, the chamber would have to be cut for it, the gun converted to CF, and you'd have to make the "Gamo Viper" cartridge from scratch. I promise, that's more work than sizing down and base turning .25 ACP brass into ladybug brass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Redneck View Post
He is making a centerfire 22 that fits a 22 long rifle chamber. I have the reamers to do 25 acp cases to 22 through 14 caliber. The 22/25 acp may duplicate his round ballistically but requires rechambering, will not fit or feed through mags etc. It is a different round. It will not do what he is building his round to do. I can load the 22/25 acp down to 22 rimfire ballistics but it will not fit my 22 long rifle contender barrel. After rechambering a 22 long rifle barrel to 22/25 acp the 22 long rifle will no longer work in the Contender barrel. You are missing the point of what he is doing.
To be fair, the ladybug does require a rechamber, I had experimented with a .222 diameter case and a heeled bullet, but case life was abysmal. With the larger diameter brass, I'm getting spectacular case life, and very efficient burn.

The reality is that Mr shaver hasn't missed the point of what I'm doing, he's just upset that I'm doing it. We've run across one another in the past, and he's always disliked me, and by proxy, any project I work on.

Other than random theories, I've never seen any evidence of MR shaver actually doing any work on a project, which is sad, I think that with some experience under his belt, His ideas might become more refined and practical, and he might come up with something interesting.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel_slayer View Post
Haters always be hating.

I agree some may not see things the same as the next guy, but if thats their prerogative then all the better.

I know I have a handful of crazy idea's I would like to try. One would be right up your alley as I know you like your 32's, I would like to do a glock 42 in a modern 7.65 french longue made from .327 fed mag brass and run it 45k psi. i'm willing to bet it would best .380 ballistics. but to keep the OAL down use a bullet like hornady's 85gr XTP. I may even pick up an extra round capacity wise. Then there's all my variants of my Mamba cartridges, a 50 cal subsonic from WSM brass and so on
Those are some neat ideas that I'd love to think and talk about more!
Old 02-11-2019, 02:29 PM

Default My apologies Sir

Been awhile since I have taken time to read this thread through. I was thinking you were going all the way to 22 long rifle case size. I'm guilty of not keeping up and making uninformed comments. Had thought about duplicating your round to play with when time permits.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Old Redneck View Post
Been awhile since I have taken time to read this thread through. I was thinking you were going all the way to 22 long rifle case size. I'm guilty of not keeping up and making uninformed comments. Had thought about duplicating your round to play with when time permits.
Let me know if you move that direction, I'd be happy to send a few pieces of brass, or make loan of a reamer etc.
Old 02-11-2019, 04:07 PM

Ha... I spend most of my time testing little things like "whats the best powder for bunny loads?"

Ive actually found a company that makes a part from cartridge brass, or any material I want, in a form that would only need primer pockets to be drilled.

Only thing is, the dimensions needed would be require a 5,000 piece run. At .25c a pop, im somewhat curious if I can find something less pricey.

The necked down 25acp case actually IS better, but it doesn't give a complicated manufacturing process so you really don't like it. That's the problem from the "other forum" we hashed it out on.
You enjoy the hero worship over there because you do it so complicated like.

Reminds me of a guy I used to know, to "save" money by not having to buy replacement parts for his percussion revolver, he spent about 100$ to get a little heater furnace so he could heat treat hair barrettes to make new trigger springs.
Old 02-11-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocketshaver View Post
Ha... I spend most of my time testing little things like "whats the best powder for bunny loads?"

Ive actually found a company that makes a part from cartridge brass, or any material I want, in a form that would only need primer pockets to be drilled.

Only thing is, the dimensions needed would be require a 5,000 piece run. At .25c a pop, im somewhat curious if I can find something less pricey.

The necked down 25acp case actually IS better, but it doesn't give a complicated manufacturing process so you really don't like it. That's the problem from the "other forum" we hashed it out on.
You enjoy the hero worship over there because you do it so complicated like.

Reminds me of a guy I used to know, to "save" money by not having to buy replacement parts for his percussion revolver, he spent about 100$ to get a little heater furnace so he could heat treat hair barrettes to make new trigger springs.
Seriously, you proclaim something you've never done to be "better" than something I have done, because in your mind, your solution is less complex, yet in the same post talk about how having something CNC turned that will "only need the primer pocket drilled" (not sure why the CNC place couldn't do that?) is somehow better... or even substantively different? (Seriously, what would be different, minor dimensional changes?)

Maybe you can explain in real terms WHY necking the .25 ACP down is "better" than what I'm doing? I'm willing to listen, but you need to walk through the whole process from concept to fruition if you want me to take anything you say seriously. Also, defining "Better" might be helpful? Better at what?

Don't forget, my thoughts on this aren't theoretical, I've actually made multiple guns that shoot this wildcat, I've made the dies to make the brass, made a bunch of brass, and I've figured out reamers, loads etc. With all of that BTW, I've never declared this to be "better" than anything else.

Also, curiously, in the same post, you criticize someone for wanting to make their own springs and spending $100 to do so, and declare that "the only problem" with your CNC parts source (besides having to drill the primer pocket?!?) is you'd have to spend $1,250 in order to essentially duplicate what I'm doing with the ladybug, except you'd still have to figure out the reamers, reloading dies etc.

I really don't get you, or your hostility man But if my education has taught me anything, it's that we're all entitled to our opinions, and trying to cram them down someone else's throat, so carry on.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoZombies View Post
Those are some neat ideas that I'd love to think and talk about more!
Which one

The reason I got the .327 to 7.65FL is Starline actually does a periodic run of 7.65FL brass and someone did a cross section of it and determined it was 32 H&R brass that had been modified for the FL.

I intend on buying the wife a G42 in the near future and I have an old 30-06 barrel that i've squirreled away for years now. I plan on doing a insert barrel with it. (to fit the .380 chamber and barrel) then just profile in the feed ramp to match. Then just rocksett it by the chamber only. that way if I wanted i could just soak it in water and press it out.

If it worked out i'll see if a buddy of mine would allow me some time on his bridgeport and machine up a threaded barrel and do another F1 can but a tiny wet and wiped 1"x4" can. ala james bond

QL predicts 1050ft/sec from the 85gr xtp with the standard 3.25" barrel @ 30k, and it picks up 50 ft/sec per 5k psi with just shy of 1200ft/sec@ 45k

The 3.85" of a threaded barrel with the same bullet is as follows. 1090@30k, 1155@35k, 1200@40k and 1240@45k