Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-22-2018, 06:01 PM

Hey Bill,

I have gone through all of my 17HMR and end up with almost 5 full boxes of split neck rounds!!!

At the rate that I go through this ammo, it will be another 10 years before I shoot it all "one at a time". Also, I intended to give it to my grandson along with the rifle chambered for it.

Bottom line, it is not that big a loss, it just bothers me that a company would put out unsafe ammo.

Thanks,
Marcos (elalto)
Old 08-22-2018, 06:32 PM

At the least, I'd contact the manufacture of that ammo and see if they won't do something for you to replace it. Worst you'd be out is a phone call and maybe a little time boxing it up and sending it back.
Old 08-22-2018, 06:55 PM

I would call also, especially if you have the lot numbers for the bad rounds. They did have problems when the 17HMR was first produced. They probably had something in their processing that needed to be tweaked slightly, like cleaning operations or brass annealing procedures.
Old 08-22-2018, 08:29 PM
Supporting Member

I just went through this and am sorry to say that the issue is more than likely worse than you realize. There are cracks that you can’t see, looks good but a tiny hairline crack that will not hold a bullet in place.

I believe this happens with all manufactures, but I only had a large stock pile of Hornady and CCI. I sent lot numbers and photos and both replaced my the lots that had cracked necks.

They both did tell me that they have a warranty but I can’t remember how many years. They both also warned me that the ones with cracked necks could misfire due to powder gone bad as you have experienced. I store my ammo in old refrigerators and I had never experienced a misfire.

Right or wrong I shoot all of them up in a bolt action rifle and so far no issues. But the main reason I went through the process of getting it replaced was because of the fact that I shoot the majority of my HMR and HM2 ammo strictly from autoloaders with a few exceptions to the rule. When I shoot from a semi auto loader, I test ever single round by pressing the bullet tip against something to see if it will stay in place prior to loading it. The bad news is if it goes in then I don’t shoot it in the bolt action but it gives me the confidence I need to know when the fast moving auto loader bolt picks up the round, the bullet won’t end up inside the case. I can’t help but wonder if this wasn’t a contributing factor to all the semi auto loader issues?

CCI told me this issue has been corrected and newer ammo (like all of the A17 ammo) won’t have this problem. But out of three different lots of A17 ammo, they replace one lot? That said the failure rate was a lot lower. I don’t remember of hand but I think that I posted the failure rates off all the ammo here (or on another forum?).

Last edited by GLWenzl; 08-23-2018 at 01:32 AM.
Old 08-22-2018, 10:11 PM
Banned

Default Ruger

What are you going to when you think you've checked all the rounds an you load one with a split neck in the magazine and the one in the chamber lets go at the rim????? And one of your grandkids is shooting the rifle!!!! Bad stuff!!! You better not do it!!! seen it happen! Not good!!!
Old 08-22-2018, 10:17 PM

Gary, did you mean "bolt action" not "centerfire"? I check my ammo and have not had a problem so far. Knock on wood! It is my understanding that the HMR is not annealed and that the metal tension over time tends to result in split necks. they were not annealed because the primer is added before the neck is formed so adding heat would destroy the primer. I have heard that the problem has somehow been resolved in newer ammo, but I am not sure what the solution was. 5 boxes of ammo is about the cost of five burger combo meals now days, so I would likely discard the ammo and replace with newer ammo rather than spend $100 worth of my time (or shooting time!) trying to get replaced, boxed up, shipped, etc. Burt
Old 08-22-2018, 10:39 PM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Gary:

Did they want the defective rounds back?
IF not, and they replaced 'em with fresh.
Pull the bullets and load 'em in something else.
Toss the bad brass in a bucket of water or oil to
ruin the primer, then into the scrap brass bucket

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 08-23-2018, 01:27 AM
Supporting Member

yes George, both had me shop ammo back then after they inspected it the new ammo was sent back to me (quite a bit of it from both places).

Burt, actually before it got auto corrected it was suppose to read autoloader (fat fingers small phone lol).

I’m just not big on rf and unless it’s in an auto loader I’m even a lesser rf guy. Only exception is when I see a cracked neck or there’s not enough to go around. That said I’ve been considering selling off most of the rf stuff because lack of interest.

And yes, it took time to box up two boxes big enough to hold all the ammo. Then the nearest ups is 20 miles away in a town I pass through to go to work that’s only open for public 1 hour each day. Luckily they paid shipping both ways (iirc).
I’m not big on pulling rf bullets, I’ve over stocked those lil pills over the years buying them sometimes as cheap as $45 @ 1k.

Fatcat, assuming you are speaking auto loaders? I think that when I check a round and load it into the magazine, then it doesn’t have a have a cracked neck. It’s worked very well except man does it take the fun out of it with my arthritis fingers! It’s actually the only time I’m glad most of my magazines are 7-10 rounds. Keep in mind, I’m not promoting you do this, I always express my experiences and what has worked/not worked for me.

But you may have a valid point for me with the crack necks that I intentionally load in a bolt gun if the powder has gone bad like what some have expressed in this thread. However suspect I thst I’d be clued in because the noise level would be lower and I might not see a hole in what I shot. I guess my concern was what happening in the neck area of the bolt gun.

Last edited by GLWenzl; 08-23-2018 at 01:30 AM.