Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 08-28-2019, 09:00 PM

I am an expert in getting stung. My highest count is close to 60 times by bumble bees. When i was in my teens I was stacking metal fence posts by some musk thistles. I kept mooring around thinking I was running into more thistles, but instead was standing over a nest, uninvited. I am into the well over 100 club. Simple ammonia will pretty much instantly get rid of the pain, kind of like having some one piss on you after a jellyfish sting I guess. Carb cleaner, Brake parts cleaner work as well as any wasp spray. They breath through their body/shell/exo.. I have lit carb cleaner up when spraying a hornets nest and it was quite satisfying. There is no such thing as a bad way to kill them if they end up dead. I watched a guy on Youtube with a drone hovering by a nest and that looked like a great way to use a drone..
Old 08-29-2019, 02:56 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Moorepower:

Man, that's more than enough to kill you.
Have you been hit since? Any reactions?

Bill: Hmmm, never thought wasps would drill a hole like that.
I'll soak it with kill 'em all Ortho Home Defense juice. Been soaking the
neighborhood down with it lately and seems to be working.

Why I hadn't thought of them. Relates to seeing a head and pair of eye's duck back down the first hole out front a year or two ago. Figured whatever that
was had relatives in other areas of the yard. I drowned that hole with water as I had the hose in my hand at the time it ducked.

Didn't get a good enough look to tell much, just a gray green head with eye's.

Just got a pack of propane bottles for the lil torch. Thinking I'll go out and fill that fence post with gas. then trip the trigger. 2" pipe about 5' long broken off at the bottom. Has two bolt holes drilled in it they use, I've seen and sprayed 'em threw it several times. that's where the bunch came out when they got me 4 yrs ago.

Well I learned things. Gassed 'em in the pipe post then lit it. Didn't pop like I was hoping it would. Did set the nest on fire and smoke
came out down below at the bottom hole. Just a short time wasps started out and flew. I quickly torched their wings til they stopped coming out. Went back with kill 'em quick wasp spray and soaked the holes. Several were sitting on top the post, sprayed them first.
Another pipe that's open top and bottom I soaked in the top and nothing came out. Soaked more, finally a bunch of spray started coming out
full of wasps fighting their last. Three other known nesting areas I didn't see any sign of 'em.
Looked for that hole by the well I filled with gravel. Don't see it now.

Sure glad I went out. Heard the pump running. I'd plumb forgotten about having the well water running on the yards. Cheap water, but, add's to the light bill.

Thanks. Foxhunter: did you get the e'm fwd of the torch I sent last night?

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"

Last edited by georgeld; 08-29-2019 at 03:32 AM. Reason: more bs
Old 08-29-2019, 03:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

no em George. glad you got the nest. Alicia asked when I was going to finish weed whacking the drive way? I just gave her a hard look. guess I will have to get back to work on it though. better dressed this time.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeld View Post
Moorepower:

Man, that's more than enough to kill you.
Have you been hit since? Any reactions?

Bill: Hmmm, never thought wasps would drill a hole like that.
I'll soak it with kill 'em all Ortho Home Defense juice. Been soaking the
neighborhood down with it lately and seems to be working.

Why I hadn't thought of them. Relates to seeing a head and pair of eye's duck back down the first hole out front a year or two ago. Figured whatever that
was had relatives in other areas of the yard. I drowned that hole with water as I had the hose in my hand at the time it ducked.

Didn't get a good enough look to tell much, just a gray green head with eye's.

Just got a pack of propane bottles for the lil torch. Thinking I'll go out and fill that fence post with gas. then trip the trigger. 2" pipe about 5' long broken off at the bottom. Has two bolt holes drilled in it they use, I've seen and sprayed 'em threw it several times. that's where the bunch came out when they got me 4 yrs ago.

Well I learned things. Gassed 'em in the pipe post then lit it. Didn't pop like I was hoping it would. Did set the nest on fire and smoke
came out down below at the bottom hole. Just a short time wasps started out and flew. I quickly torched their wings til they stopped coming out. Went back with kill 'em quick wasp spray and soaked the holes. Several were sitting on top the post, sprayed them first.
Another pipe that's open top and bottom I soaked in the top and nothing came out. Soaked more, finally a bunch of spray started coming out
full of wasps fighting their last. Three other known nesting areas I didn't see any sign of 'em.
Looked for that hole by the well I filled with gravel. Don't see it now.

Sure glad I went out. Heard the pump running. I'd plumb forgotten about having the well water running on the yards. Cheap water, but, add's to the light bill.

Thanks. Foxhunter: did you get the e'm fwd of the torch I sent last night?
I have probably been stung 20-25 times since then. I have only had one reaction, other than running or tourettes and I was in 10th grade, I missed a homecoming football game, is the only reason I can remember that. It was a cowkiller wasp. A wingless large wasp. My forearm swelled up the size of my bicep. It's not a club that I have enjoyed the price of entry! If one thing is to be remembered, ammonia is your friend for bee/wasp stings. Instant pain relief/ gone.
Old 08-29-2019, 04:11 PM

I raise some bees in the backyard (2-4 hives). It all started after discovering/removing a hive living in the house wall, and my fruit production from my citrus trees significantly dropping off the next year. Did I mention that I am allergic to bees. I found this out after getting the bees.

In the normal course of things the bee hives grow and finally split when there is not enough space within the hive. The Old queen takes half the bees to start a new hive. The new juvenile queen breeds with a bee from another hive that she meets in the surrounding area. Sometime, the "Free Bee" mating may have less than desirable genetics, especially the introductions of an Africanized bee strain. I'm in Texas so we are in the thick of this invasion from South America. I have had a couple of hives go from gentle to ultra aggressive in a matter of a month. The first time I experienced this landed me in the hospital for an Epi-shot... my white jacket was completely peppered with hundreds of bee stingers and guts. As far as the scent marking goes, you don't want that to happen on the upper inside of your thighs...ask me how I know?! The next day I decimated the hive. Bees were drown and honey was robbed. There is no abiding poorly behaved bees.

Honey bees like to form hives higher in the tree (10' or higher), whereas Africanized Bees like to form their hives low to the ground. If you find a bee hive that 3'-5' off the ground then assume it is Africanized and stay away from it. People get surprised and killed by Africanized honey bees that are living in brush piles. They will chase you for 1/2 mile or more.

Benadryl is my friend. If I am playing with the bees or doing something that I think might result in a sting then I take 1 Benadryl and 2-3 Advil in advance to deal with any potential sting and associated swelling. My hunting pack has a bottle of Advil and a sleeve of Benadryl, which also works well for wasp stings.

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 08-29-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:19 AM

Send a message via MSN to georgeld

Only time I was ever stung by a honey bee was as a kid
less than ten. Neighbors had a hive. Got me on the palm.
I remember the pain and bawling and running home.

Couple years later I let a firecracker blow up in my hand too.
Oh yeah------!!

Wasps have had their share of me. I try to leave them alone til dark.
Then douche 'em good with TAT $3 can, 30 seconds and it's gone.

Just that one big bumble bee that hit the window and nailed me. Hornets I've never been stung by. I know better and watch where they go, then hunt 'em down with spray.

Dad said when he was young and hitchhiking a guy in a truck picked him up.
Just got up to speed when a black hornet came in the window. He grabbed it quick with a hanky and tossed it all out the window. He'd been stung both thumb and finger tip that quick.

Bob: Send me an e'm, I sent stuff and it's kicked back from yours a lot.

"Gun Control is NOT about guns,
it's about CONTROL!!"
Old 08-30-2019, 06:25 AM
Supporting Member

As a motorcycle buff I been stung a lot over the years, mostly honey bees. The worst Stinging I've ever had was summer before last. A hole under some junk wood in the back of my yard got turned into a Yellow-jacket nest. I stirred em up when I got close on my riding mower. Our Yellow-jackets get real aggressive towards movement and noise about this time a year. Mid to late August to later in September.
I was wearing shorts sandals a tee shirt and a boonie-hat. I got about 12 to 14 stings, crawled up under the headband of the hat, the straps on my sandals one even got me down between my toes. Really a bad day, bad for me and bad for the small lumber pile cause it got turned into ashes. For me it was just really painful, Nancy is allergic and it would have been critical to possibly worse. Wasp spray is now my friend, any little nest gets started and the day I see it is the day it's finished.
Glad your ok Bob.
Old 08-30-2019, 06:59 AM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

like it never happened, not. picked up a couple yellow jacket traps. going to hang them around just to see if they are still in the hood. besides I like to see them drown.
Old 08-30-2019, 05:40 PM
Supporting Member

About 8 years ago I set a very large nest in a Caragan bush on fire. Sprayed it with gas and lit it. When the hoard came streaming out I hit them with the pressure washer in mid flight. Rips the wings right off them. Never found the wasp spray very effective, gas down a hole, no need to light it, just cover the hole like someone else said. For the nests above ground coat them with gas and light it. For those in the eves about the only choice is to knock them down. They will eventually vacate the area.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:40 PM

At beginning of August I had a old friend and teenage son visiting and the son requested possibility of a hog hunt. I warned them it would be hot (+100F during daytime and +85F at night). He showed up with small cooler with soda and I showed up with approx. 7 gallons of water/gatoraid.

We got the blind around 4pm. As I came down the path to the blind, my buddy John was hot-footing the other direction cussing and rubbing his neck. He forgot his outdoor craft... he didn't bother looking around before climbing the stairs at back of blind where a red wasp nest was hanging over the door. Nothing that a 10' stick and some bug repellant couldn't fix. I spent the rest of the afternoon swatting wasps out of the air with my hat.

Both shot a pig...and 1 raccoon was mistakenly dispatched. The raccoons grow rather large in the river bottom so a case of mistaken identity.

Last edited by Oso Polaris; 08-31-2019 at 06:22 AM.