Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-19-2019, 03:58 PM

Brent that’s to bad you have to use lead free. Really hurts your options. I know it doesn’t help but the best Bobcat gun I’ve found is my 17 Ackley Hornet and 21 grain Kindlers. Running them at 3700 fps. I guess you could try the Nosler 32 grain lead free BT’s in 204 Ruger.

Good Hunting Chad
Old 09-19-2019, 04:24 PM

Chad,
Yes it hurts. But even it I didnt have the lead free restrictions those 21 grain Kindlers wouldnt help. Hes not making them anymore is he?
Old 09-19-2019, 05:31 PM

No he’s not. Good Point.... Luckily I have around 150 left so that will last me for the rest of my days, on Reds, and Bobcats... and if not I think I still have a box of the old 22 grain Berger Match Bullets collecting dust somewhere.

Last edited by UTcaller; 09-19-2019 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:37 AM

Brent, just a data point from my 19" .17 Mach IV. Still over 4,000 fps with 20's. Which, lead free, I guess you'd be even lighter than that probably.

Have never really looked at lead free options, don't know what's out there. Don't know what lead free .17s at speed will do on bobcat.

But I bet there are a lot more choices in .22 caliber. I might look that way, just for that reason. Maybe. I might not, either .

- DAA
Old 09-22-2019, 02:11 PM

Fuuny you mentioned this as I just loaded up some Nosler E-tips for 223 to try out
Old 09-22-2019, 07:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to foxhunter

17 v-raptor aka 17 vha with 5.5 ntx would be a good cat killer as well as the 17 hornet (17 Ackley Hornet). cats just aren't that hard to kill, at least the ones I have shot.
shot one with a 17 hmr, dumped it right there. shot another with a 22 mag and it ran about 20 yards and piled up in a patch of bunch grass. shot another with a sako/browning 243 at 90 yards facing me with a 55 gr balistictips doing 4000+ fp[. put the bullet in the soft spot just under the chin. figured I blew both his hind legs off due to bullet and velocity. when I picked him up I couldn't even find a bullet hole. about 10 yards from the truck blood started dripping from the middle of it's chest.
those are the good stories, now for the ugly one. shot a cat at 80 yards with a 17 Remington 25 gr hornady hp, hit him high and laid him open.sure put my sewing skills to a test. a bad shot placement is a bad situation no matter what you are shooting.
good luck with whatever you choose. if it were me today 17 hornet in a cz and wouldn't look back. makes a great for round as well.
Old 09-24-2019, 04:32 PM

Well guys I made a decision, yesterday I bought a CZ varmint in .17 Hornet I will be threading it and buying factory ammo at least for this year.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Brent
Old 09-24-2019, 05:19 PM

If I was shooting a 50yd Bobcat I would use a .17HMR with supressor and or My .25 marauder PCP, unless they are wearing Kevlar helmets. The .17 WSM lead free would be much more than enough, for much further out than 50yds. I have not intention of getting rid of my .17H, but what the .17 WSM did on PDogs at ranges much much further than i thought it would shoot, blew my mind. As long as you don't mind head shots on Bobcats, 200 yds would be quite ethical.
Old 09-24-2019, 10:21 PM

Yes and if there was a decent bolt gun I liked in a .17 wsm I would have considered that for sure. If CZ would make one I would have owned it. The only .17 WSM I currently like was Volquartzen lightweight. I just dumped 12 k in thermal. Couldn't afford 2600.00 at the time for a rimfire with less range. Not only that coyotes bring a 50.00 bounty each on thos ranch and need to be shot as well. I'll run .22 Creedmoor in strictly coyote country
Old 09-25-2019, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Parker View Post
Yes and if there was a decent bolt gun I liked in a .17 wsm I would have considered that for sure. If CZ would make one I would have owned it. The only .17 WSM I currently like was Volquartzen lightweight. I just dumped 12 k in thermal. Couldn't afford 2600.00 at the time for a rimfire with less range. Not only that coyotes bring a 50.00 bounty each on thos ranch and need to be shot as well. I'll run .22 Creedmoor in strictly coyote country
Man wish we got a bounty on our yotes. They aint worth the time to skin let alone getting a bounty. Want me to box up a couple dozen and split the purse. lol j/k