Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Project Guns

Old 05-26-2015, 06:22 PM

Default Poor man's 6mmPPC project

A friend pointed me to Saubier & I'll admit I've been lurking a while. Boy has this place been a treasure trove of info on shooting! I try to use good forum etiquette & search before posting, so please forgive me if my first post here has been covered before & I couldn't find it.

First off, I am not a competitor or benchrest shooter, but I love to handload, experiment & target shoot. I recently got a good deal on HV take-off barrel that has about 1,000 rounds through it. It is a Shilen SS select match Benchrest 23" long, 14" twist, threaded for a Remington 700 without a recoil lug in 6mmPPC (.262 neck). It is claimed that the 40X sleeved rifle this came off of was shooting in the 1's to low 2's with Berger 68gr. I've always wanted to try this little cartridge so I bought the barrel to play with. Like I said I'm not a competitor nor do I expect to shoot as small of groups like a seasoned BR competitor - it takes more than gun & cartridge. I get that for sure. But spending $1,000 for a custom action to fit this .445" rim cartridge for my "whim" is unfeasible on my shooting budget.

Here is what I would like to do & my question. I have Rem 700 SA with a .223 cartridge bolt. I propose to open the bolt face for the PPC & I assume the ejector will still work & this would be safe(?) From what I have read serious shooters blue printing 700's then have a Sako or AR extractors installed. My question is, why couldn't a Rem 700 extractor, either riveted or snap-in, be modified for a lower cost & easier installation with minimum machining? Even better yet, does anyone offer an after market extractor for a project like this?

BTW: I realize the barrel could be set-back & re-chambered for 6mmBR for a regular 700 SA to cure these issues, but I really want to play with the little 6PPC & I have the small face bolt action.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Dave
Old 05-26-2015, 10:38 PM
Supporting Member

Default ppc extractor

Second question, all aftermarket extractors for the 700 are the Sako style because the original design is not considered one of the 700's strong points, hence the demand for the Sako style. First question probably has a little to do with the second question, frankly other than the factory offerings there is no market for one.

I have a 700 20PPC which is built using the 308 boltface and a Sako extractor and works like a charm. Have you considered trading the bolt for a 308 size and have a Sako extractor installed? Seems the easiest path to get where you want to go and gives you the option to do a 6BR at a later date if you want.
Old 05-26-2015, 11:11 PM

See EddieHarren's attached 2/18/15 post on the 6BR forum ref. using Rem. 700 308 bolt face factory extractor to extract PPC case. Eddie is also a member of this forum.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/ind...43#msg36531543
Old 05-26-2015, 11:25 PM
Administrator

Since the 6ppc isn't small cal why don't you use the 223 action for a 20 Tac, vartarg, 17-204 etc.. Just bustin' your chops. Welcome to the forum.

I think you could certainly do what you want with what you've got, but it sure would be easier with a 308 bolt face. I'm Sure Eddie or ab bently could fix you up either way.
Old 05-27-2015, 12:56 PM

Default Thanks for the good info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
...Have you considered trading the bolt for a 308 size and have a Sako extractor installed? Seems the easiest path to get where you want to go and gives you the option to do a 6BR at a later date if you want.
Sounds like a good idea. Just to verify if I trade, all Rem SA model bolts are the same?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHenry View Post
See EddieHarren's attached 2/18/15 post on the 6BR forum ref. using Rem. 700 308 bolt face factory extractor to extract PPC case....
Thanks for the link! If I interpret correctly, the extra space around the case head is not dangerous & the factory extractor is big enough to catch the smaller case(?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by csterner View Post
..Welcome to the forum.
Thank you for your welcome & the good advice.

Dave
Old 05-27-2015, 02:39 PM

pertnear, A number of 308 bolt faced custom actions will extract both 308 and PPC cases. No safety hazard. You may want to contact(PM) Eddie directly ref. his experiences with the PPC and a 308 bolt face. His screen name on the forum is "Eddie Harren". The following link also provides some contact info. Good luck with your project. Let us know how it turns out.

http://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=15332
Old 05-28-2015, 03:52 PM
Supporting Member

Default Ptg

Visit PTG website and price out the bolt that will suit your needs. Gunsmith should be able to measure bolt raceway and recommend a bolt size that will tighten things up.