Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Load Data

Old 05-30-2018, 05:23 PM

Default Neck Turning with a Hand Tool - Max cut?

I have a 6 PPC with a .262 neck chamber so I need to turn my necks. In the past I used my Forrester trimmer to turn the necks but recently I bought a RCBS hand turner. I have never used a "hand-type" turner before.

My measurements show that I need to reduce the neck wall of my Norma brass from .0112" to .0085" (i.e. remove .0027"). I'm preparing a 100 cases.

My question is, how many passes to turn the necks? Cut .0027” off all in one pass? Two half passes? More? Any rules of thumb on neck turning cuts?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions & comments.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:14 PM

Really going to depend on how hard the brass is and your strength/stamina. I prefer to trim before annealing as it seems to result in a cleaner cut. I don't mind turning necks, at all. That being said, I do it all under power.

Question for you: Do you have a good fit on your turning mandrel? To the best of my knowledge, RCBS does not offer an expanding mandrel to work in conjunction with your set-up.
Old 05-30-2018, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramos View Post
Really going to depend on how hard the brass is and your strength/stamina. I prefer to trim before annealing as it seems to result in a cleaner cut. I don't mind turning necks, at all. That being said, I do it all under power.

Question for you: Do you have a good fit on your turning mandrel? To the best of my knowledge, RCBS does not offer an expanding mandrel to work in conjunction with your set-up.
The virgin Norma brass would not slip on to the mandrel. I lubed the necks inside & passed them over a .243 expander ball. This then seemed to provide a good fit.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:38 PM

Sounds good, that 'fit' has a lot to do with the quality of the results.

On Edit: Sorry for not giving a direct answer to your question. Just not sure there really is a simple answer as there are a few, important, variables that will be in play.

Last edited by ramos; 05-30-2018 at 09:41 PM. Reason: add
Old 05-31-2018, 12:46 AM

No expert here. I've turned some necks though. The general rule I've heard was at least two passes. One to get you close and the second to get it to the correct size. I've heard doing this makes the final pass more consistent.
Old 05-31-2018, 05:18 PM

I would do that in 2 passes. Would keep things from heating up and probably easier on the hands. I do mine with a hand drill mounted on my bench. I set the speed and control the off/on with a foot switch. Leaves both hands free to cut as much as I want or as little as I want. However, I feel small cuts end up more uniform.