Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-18-2020, 07:24 AM
Supporting Member

At the purchase mentoring of my buddy Ray H. I bought a CZ Varmint in .22 Hornet and had it turned into a .20 Ackley Hornet down at Pac-Nor, they did great work. I've had red-mist and Acrobatics both on gophers depending on where ya hit em. It is absolutely one of my favorite small rodent rifles.
I had a Savage 112BVSS (big heavy stock looked like it was made from a laminated 4X4), it was chambered in .25-06, had a Canjar single set trigger I waited almost a year for and shot 100 grain Sierra Spire points into a solid 1/2 inch 5 shot groups. Not known for stellar accuracy but this one was a rockchuck's night-mare. Rockchucks at considerable distance would leave the scene of the crime in 7 or 8 directions at the same time. Rifle weighed a ton so it would lay still enough the see the parts and particles falling back to earth. It went away fairly early after my descent into small caliber madness .
About 5 or 6 months and the snow will be down enough to spray a few gophers all over the snow, we call it snow painting .
Old 12-18-2020, 11:24 AM

Default Still room for the 25-06

Just snagged a 1V in 25-06 and once I’m settled in the new place I plan on testing it out.My first whitetail fell to a 120 Partition from a 700 BDL Varmint in my favorite big bore,mighty tasty I might add.Sorry to hijack this thread,but Doug got me thinking how we mostly think alike and love the classic cartridges.
Nice stocks by the way fellas.
Matt
Old 12-18-2020, 08:26 PM

You almost never see the 25-06 anymore not that they were ever particularly common. Even the 6mm rounds dont seem as common as they once were.
Old 12-18-2020, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
You almost never see the 25-06 anymore not that they were ever particularly common. Even the 6mm rounds dont seem as common as they once were.
Been using my old Rem 700 in 25-06 since it came out new, as a commercial round, think it was in 65, when I bought it. Maybe 63. Has killed a good share of Deer, Elk and coyotes and still does. Bill K
Old 12-19-2020, 07:32 PM

No argument on the 25-06's effectiveness or the 6mm's just that I'm thinking that there not quite as much use any more. I'm trying to remember the last time I saw a new rifle in 25-06 and cant come up with an answer.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by david s View Post
No argument on the 25-06's effectiveness or the 6mm's just that I'm thinking that there not quite as much use any more. I'm trying to remember the last time I saw a new rifle in 25-06 and cant come up with an answer.
Good point, I know lately in the gun stores, the racks have the hot shot 6.5's, various 30 cal and 338's. But to find a rifle in stock in 30-06, 270, 25-06 and even 243 is not common, but they can order it.