Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 12-17-2020, 11:50 PM

Default Hornady 218 Bee Brass-Good/Bad????

I bought a 17 HeBee a few months back off this site. I had a bag of WW SUPER Brass and it came with a Bag of WW SUPER Brass. Problem is, they are different lots and they weigh approximately 10 grains difference. I would like to get 200 pcs of brass specifically for turning into 17 HeBee with all of the weighing within 2 grains(or less) of one another. So who has used the Hornady stuff......Is it any good? Have you formed any of it into wildcats round? If so how did they hold up? Also, how consistent are the weights of the brass. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I hate spending money on something only to realize its junk.
Old 12-18-2020, 11:36 AM

Default I too have a HeBee

I need to try the Hornady brass and see as well.So far my supply of WW is doing ok,I will need to come up with an alternative soon though as I feed a 218 Bee a17Ackley Bee and the 17HeBee as well.A few of us have asked Starline to make 218Bee brass,but the way things are going we may not see that for a long while.
Matt
Old 12-18-2020, 01:39 PM

I would suggest you segregate the brass to your rifles, and don't mix the brands together in the same rifle. That way you can load for that rifle/brass combination. I have four 22 Hornets, and all the chambers are slightly different with regard to annealing and fired sizes. One is real sloppy, two are about the same, and one is pretty tight. And each rifle likes slightly different loads for best performance.
Old 12-18-2020, 02:04 PM

I have and use Hornady brass in my #1S 218 Bee. I have found that it does well, no stretch or other problems after three reloads.
Bill
Old 12-18-2020, 02:08 PM

I have used it in my Mashburn B and it works well
Old 12-18-2020, 02:22 PM
Supporting Member

20VT, do you recall what the color of the label was on the bags. All mine are the old Blue and in the past what I weighed was fairly good. Nothing like what you experienced. I heard people say that some of the newer Red label bags, in different calibers, were not as uniform as what they had in the old Blue bags. I haven't bought any brass in awhile so was just wondering. Thanks
Old 12-18-2020, 10:01 PM

I do segregate brass and sort by weight. I have a 218 Mashburn Bee and I use WW Super with it. The one bag I had for the 17 HeBee was the old blue and white bag. The other 100 rounds I got with the rifle and no idea the age of them. They were just in a ziplock bag. I think I am gonna give the Hornady a try and buy 200 pcs from the same lot and keep my fingers crossed they all weigh about the same.
Old 12-18-2020, 10:20 PM
Board Sponsor

The older blue bag Win brass is fine, the newer red bag stuff is junk at best (that applies across most calibers). The Hornady brass I put in the same basket as PPU and Starline, I would do an initial form and then anneal as it tends to run on the hard side.
http://shop.reedsammo.com Online store
info@reedsammo.com
Old 12-18-2020, 11:47 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for the info guys.
Old 12-19-2020, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1911 View Post
The older blue bag Win brass is fine, the newer red bag stuff is junk at best (that applies across most calibers). The Hornady brass I put in the same basket as PPU and Starline, I would do an initial form and then anneal as it tends to run on the hard side.
For the HeBee, I have learned it all needs annealed or else too many cases are lost. I'm okay putting in the work as long as the brass weight is somewhat close. I actually asked this question on here after asking you the question on your GB listing. Thanks for chiming in!