Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-18-2020, 04:24 AM

My CZ 527 American in 22hornet shot Sierra 45SP's pretty well at 12.5 of Lil'Gun. A friend's shot these phenomenally well at 12.8. I actually shot the Hornady 22 hornet 45SP bullet all the way up to 13.4 of Lil'Gun, but then settled on 13.2 of Lil'Gun under a Sierra 40HP with CCI 500 SP primers - insanely accurate, where I would just take head shots then all the time (for fox, not for coyote).

I'm working with a new Thermal though now that I can't use as well on a majority of bolt guns as I can with this dual extension rail made for a Rem 700. I have it on my 222 now, and hopefully soon on this incoming 221. Looks like this:

https://link.shutterfly.com/FEpaj9Ncjcb

and it allows the scope to be mounted further back to get me the proper eye relief and not be so high that I lose good cheek weld. Plan is to move this rail over onto a lighter LVSF now in 221 that will hopefully feed a little better than the old 222, and be easier to scan with since I don't have a separate scanner.

My best load ever with my particular 222 has been 21 (measured 20 - 0 - 10 on my RCBS balance beam scale) of IMR-4198 under a 40 V-MAX lit by a CCI 400 primer at book COL (2.130), doing 3,300fps. This is fine for coyote work, but hasn't been too friendly at all on foxes. So I am going to need to do some more load development work now on the 221. Just looking for any suggestions.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:48 PM

I should have noted, WW brass. In R-P brass, I used 13.8gr. LG with the 45gr. Hornadys. One shot stops on rib and shoulder-shot coyotes and could only find "the" hole after skinning. Most were right around 200yards.
Old 12-18-2020, 06:49 PM

I should have noted, WW brass. In R-P brass, I used 13.8gr. LG with the 45gr. Hornadys. One shot stops on rib and shoulder-shot coyotes and could only find "the" hole after skinning. Most were right around 150 to 200yards.
Old 12-18-2020, 07:10 PM

I,ve had suppressors on guns since they became legal in Iowa a few years ago. We did an experiment with my first one which was on a .220 Swift with an 18-inch barrel. From 1/2 mile away it sounded like a shotgun from a mile away. And an unsuppressed .17 Hornet sounded very loud at that distance. There was no doubt it was a centerfire rifle. Now I have a suppressed .17 Hornet and it is much quieter than the suppressed .220 Swift. Also, the bullet's sonic boom increases with increased bullet diameter. The .17 caliber bullet's crack is not as loud as a .22 caliber bullet's crack. My buddy and I did an experiment when shooting prairie dogs a long time ago. I got down in a gullie and he shot a few feet over it with a .22-250 and a .17 Remington. The bullet crack from the .22-250 sounded like an inch and a half firecracker and the .17 Remington bullet sounded like a lady finger. I would go with the .17 Fireball or some smaller centerfire .17. Finally, I think with a suppressor you would notice hit animals not going as far because they don't seem to get as excited when they don't hear the loud sound of your rifle going off.
Old 12-19-2020, 12:38 AM

Interesting... but I think here in MD you need a $200 tax stamp to go suppressed. Plus whatever the additional weight would be, which I am trying to cut down on as much as possible. The 222 was definitely a lot louder than my 22 hornet though, will have to see how the 221 falls in now. Not expecting there to be a lot of difference from the 222.
Old 12-19-2020, 01:42 AM

Don't have a deuce, but the 221FB sounds very similar to my 223, compared to a 22 Hornet.
Old 12-19-2020, 03:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbranden View Post
Interesting... but I think here in MD you need a $200 tax stamp to go suppressed. Plus whatever the additional weight would be, which I am trying to cut down on as much as possible. The 222 was definitely a lot louder than my 22 hornet though, will have to see how the 221 falls in now. Not expecting there to be a lot of difference from the 222.
You need the stamp anywhere in the USA
Old 12-19-2020, 08:57 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb in Pa View Post
You need the stamp anywhere in the USA
..with the exception being gov'mint employees and criminals are not required to pay the tax.

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Old 12-19-2020, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBear View Post
..with the exception being gov'mint employees and criminals are not required to pay the tax.
Nothing new. Politicians and criminals are never the target of gun laws and regulations.
Only one's effected and infringed upon are lawful and honest citizen's of the Old Republic. Bill K
Old 12-19-2020, 06:49 PM

Ya got to pay to play................