Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 03-02-2019, 04:00 PM

Default Talked to James Calhoon about the 19Badger..

Star-Line is making brass for the 19Badger with the correct head stamp.They already make 30 Carbine,so I imagine it wasn’t to much more work to offer the 19 Badger.All I could think about was 218 brass from them,perhaps if we put in a large enough order they might consider it.Back to the Badger,already having a 19 Calhoon and a Cooper 19-223 I never really thought I had a use for the Badger and it’s reformed military brass.But after talking to James and seeing Sierra make 19 caliber bullets and now Starline making fresh brass for it I started thinking about that stout little case and some neat possibilities for a high volume rat smacker.Perhaps an old tired Hornet some where good be reborn in to a fun little gun.
Matt
Old 03-02-2019, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17VLD View Post
Star-Line is making brass for the 19Badger with the correct head stamp.They already make 30 Carbine,so I imagine it wasn’t to much more work to offer the 19 Badger.All I could think about was 218 brass from them,perhaps if we put in a large enough order they might consider it.Back to the Badger,already having a 19 Calhoon and a Cooper 19-223 I never really thought I had a use for the Badger and it’s reformed military brass.But after talking to James and seeing Sierra make 19 caliber bullets and now Starline making fresh brass for it I started thinking about that stout little case and some neat possibilities for a high volume rat smacker.Perhaps an old tired Hornet some where good be reborn in to a fun little gun.
Matt

Awesome. I've always been intrigued by the .19.......particularly the Badger.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:14 PM

Default Awesome,

SIERRA MAKES A 19 CALIBER BULLET !! ??? Show us please.
Old 03-02-2019, 04:34 PM

Default Talked to James Calhoon about the 19 Badger

For those with the badger that is a nice item Starline has brought out for their cartridge.
I often thought about a 19 Badger, but so far the 20 SCC or 20 VT is doing everything that it would or could do, so I will just leave that one alone for now anyway. But it would be a very nice/neat round to play with. Bill K
Old 03-02-2019, 04:52 PM

I picked up the Varmint issue of rifle magazine. There is a good article in there on the Calhoon family of cartridges. I won’t lie, I have been curious of the 19 since I first read of it years ago.

My issue was and is with the bullets. One source to depend on.......
With what has been dropped in the past few years for 17’s and 20’s. I just can’t drop the coin on the conversion.

I hope I am all wrong and the calibers jumps to the front of the pack, so to speak.
What keeps me standing on the knifes edge of a .19, I have not seen even one negative note on the cartridge. That speaks for its self in my book.

I have a 527 22 Hornet that refuses to like my cast bullet load. It may well become a .19.
Jeff
Old 03-02-2019, 04:57 PM

In some ways I really would not be concerned about 19 cal bullets. I have heard, have not really check Sierra to see if true, but they are offering 19 cal bullets now.
And I have read that with a die you can swage down 20 cal bullets and make 19 cal bullets.
But as I mentioned, with me anyway, so far I am sticking to the 20 cal rifles I have and use. Bill K
Old 03-02-2019, 05:16 PM

I smile. I go to the Fleet Farm store often and happen to walk past the mouse traps, and am always amazed by their frequent attempts to market a better mouse trap. Small calibers are like that -- the best ones shine and remain popular, i.e., .17AH, .20VT, .221FB, .223AI, etc. Over the years, there have been lots 'n' lots of attempts to develop a better mouse trap, some successful, some not so much.

In the case of the .19 caliber, I might be able to kindle some interest should Sierra, Hornady, Nosler, even Midsouth, start selling bullets in that caliber, but probably out of curiosity or boredom than necessity.

Then there are those expensive dies to consider.... Nah!

JMO
Old 03-02-2019, 05:50 PM
Supporting Member

Dang Matt, you’re killing me..... lol
Old 03-02-2019, 07:13 PM
Supporting Member

I have a .19 Calhoon and a .19 Badger. Gre-Tan re-barreled a Browning Micro Medallion (.22 Hornet) to get it. Got the CZ .19 Badger direct from JC. Probably haven't shot either more than 50 times, but when I did, they were fun and very accurate.
Old 03-02-2019, 07:38 PM

Just looked at Sierra's website, and only 20's, no 19's. The new product is loaded ammo, not just bullets. The ammo is mostly traditional hunting calibers. Several calibers available.