Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 01-10-2021, 12:08 AM

Default bullets with striations

I had an idea to improve the B.C. of bullets. You have a. 22 cal bullet but it has grooves or striations running length ways from tail to nose.

To get a visual idea, Google bullet striations. Imagine that but with much deeper grooves. It would give the B.C. of a. 19 cal bullet. In theory?

These could be straight, or angled... in which case they would create spin.

Obviously you have to create a gas seal so it needs a shotgun style wad, behind the bullet.

Any thoughts? in terms of just how viable the concept is
Old 01-10-2021, 01:28 AM

A bullet has striations once it’s fired in the form of rifling grooves. Marlin even had microgrooved barrels. Am I missing what you are trying to describe? If not, I can’t see how this would improve the external ballistics of a bullet.
Old 01-10-2021, 06:50 AM
Supporting Member

Location: Cardington, Ohio, USA, 3rd Rock from the Sun, Milky Way Galaxy

My first guess would be more and deeper grooves mean more and bigger aerodynamic drag.

Having said that, dimpled golf balls are generally known to fly better than smooth surface golf balls....which leaves me with a puzzle. Maybe has to do with velocity of air (laminar, transition, and/or turbulent air flow) around the ball, the dimples organize the airflow somewhat resulting in a little less turbulence behind the ball.

In our country the lie has become not just a moral category but a pillar of the State. -- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn
Old 01-10-2021, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RareBear View Post
My first guess would be more and deeper grooves mean more and bigger aerodynamic drag.

Having said that, dimpled golf balls are generally known to fly better than smooth surface golf balls....which leaves me with a puzzle. Maybe has to do with velocity of air (laminar, transition, and/or turbulent air flow) around the ball, the dimples organize the airflow somewhat resulting in a little less turbulence behind the ball.
That's how I see it as well, RareBear.

I think the OP is talking about a bore riding bullet, with a gas-check of some form. At the pressures we are producing, I do not believe a gas-check system
like a shotgun-type wad would work very well.