Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Big Game

Old 11-07-2012, 04:16 PM
Supporting Member

Congrats on the bull!! The fact it was taken with a rifle that has that much family history makes the memory that much better !!! Way cool!!
Spent a large portion of my childhood in Colorado before it was "discovered". Shot my first bull there.
Which one's the elk by the way? LOL
Old 11-07-2012, 08:48 PM

I know the picture is kind of rough, all dirty, worn out and tongue hanging out, but I will get better (the elk looks good though).

Bob
Old 11-08-2012, 01:23 AM

Default Great stuff!!

Nothing wrong with .257 cal bullets!
Great to see nice Colorado animals being harvested by good folks
with family history here.
Matt
Old 11-08-2012, 02:32 AM
Supporting Member

Looks like you had a great hunt.

I picked up a little 1954 250-3000 with a period scope summer before last. I had a fellow see the picture and said the scope was a first year Variable for the brand, probably a bushnell scopecheif. I have ammo and desire, just need to take it next trip around the property to dads ( lol) where my shooting bench is and pop a few caps.

Cool of your son to continue the tradition of the ole girl, and glad that pipsqueek caliber did it's job.

Allen
Old 11-08-2012, 05:32 AM
Supporting Member

Congrats to ya both and glad the 250 found its mark. I want to see the elk hop in the back of the ford in person next year!

Matt
Old 11-08-2012, 01:45 PM

Default Colorado bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by 17VLD View Post
Nothing wrong with .257 cal bullets!
Great to see nice Colorado animals being harvested by good folks
with family history here.
Matt
Not a thing wrong with the old .25 calibers. I have shot numerous Elk, with my original Rem 25-06 and the 120 Nosler Partition over the years. Also many other heads of game, from the western states to Alaska. Bill K
Old 11-13-2012, 05:39 PM

That old 250 has been in the family since 1918, I don't have clue how many Deer, Elk and Antelope my grandfather killed with it. In 1991 my mother drew a Moose permit and wanted to use that gun. Of course I got a lot of "you cant kill a Moose with a 250" from other folks. I loaded 100 grain Nosler Partitions for her. Just about dark on the last day of the hunt we found a big cow, my mother off hand shot here right behind the front shoulder killing her instantly. Too instantly, she went down with all 4 legs under her and there was no way that my mother and I could roll the cow over till I flagged down 4 guys from Utah. They couldn't believe that she had used a "Varmint gun" to kill that Moose.

The Moose was about 125 yards, the bullet went clear through braking ribs going in and coming out and ended up under the hide.

Bob
Old 11-14-2012, 01:17 AM

Default Colorado Bull

Bob.. If you believe and listen to the majority of the gun writers and tv shows now days, anything other than a 300/338 super mag or 50BMG can not kill any large game. If they only would stop and think or remember how much game, big and small, their forefathers killed/hunted/fed the family with in years past with such likes as the 30-30, 30-06,270,various 25 calibers and even .22's maybe they would understand the real meaning of hunting. Way to many out there with big guns, that over power them and they also shoot or attempt to shoot way to far away, rather than hunt and place their shots were it counts. Bill K