Saubier.com  

Go Back   Saubier.com > Saubier.com Forums > Small Caliber Discussion Board

Old 09-01-2019, 08:09 PM

Default Question: Will a 10 twist barrel stabilize a 25 grain .17 cal bullet?

Will a 10 twist barrel stabilize a 17 cal. 25 grain bullet?

Thx,

Jordan
Old 09-01-2019, 08:19 PM

A 25HP for sure, but a 25VMAV may not. It all depends on the exact twist and whether it is a 'fast' or 'slow' 1:10 twist, i.e. a slightly below or above a 1:10. I have a L461 with a 24" 1:10 Shilen CrMo barrel that will shoot the 25 VMAX. To be safe, maybe you should try for a 1:9.
Old 09-01-2019, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan View Post
A 25HP for sure, but a 25VMAV may not. It all depends on the exact twist and whether it is a 'fast' or 'slow' 1:10 twist, i.e. a slightly below or above a 1:10. I have a L461 with a 24" 1:10 Shilen CrMo barrel that will shoot the 25 VMAX. To be safe, maybe you should try for a 1:9.
Now you lost me on that one. What is the difference in a 1/10 twist in a bore, making it either fast or slow ? I would think the bullet going to turn once every 10 inches, no matter what. Bill K
Old 09-01-2019, 10:38 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K View Post
Now you lost me on that one. What is the difference in a 1/10 twist in a bore, making it either fast or slow ? I would think the bullet going to turn once every 10 inches, no matter what. Bill K
What he is referring to is the fact that a stated 1-10" twist barrel might not be exactly that. If you have the means to check a barrel precisely, you often see that.

One 1-10" twist barrel might be slightly faster and in the end may shoot a 25 grain V-Max. Another barrel that is actually slower than 1-10" might not due to its slower than 1-10" twist.

Shooting a barrel is often required to see if it will stabilize a bullet that is marginal for the stated twist.

-BCB

I miss mean Tweets, competence, and $1.79 per gallon gasoline.

Yo no creo en santos que orinan.

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

If You're Afraid To Offend, You Can't Be Honest - Thomas Paine
Old 09-01-2019, 11:03 PM

When I was much younger, the 25gr Hornady and the 17 remington with the 10 twist was it. I still find it that way, stashed bullets away for some reason, so bullet procurements do not have a way with me.

In the last decade, bullet design has made bullets with longer bearing surfaces. Some to quite an extreme, I still am figuring why I need a 2000yd 17 cal bullet.....

I think most are moving to the 9 or faster twists, probably mainly because of what is readily available in the new length bullets, just a guess there.

Another aspect of getting something not to keyhole, is speed. Sometimes, even that is not enough, remember the 220 swifts, 14 twists, trying the new 69gr Sierra? The Speer 62's would do ok, but the Sierra's were just too long no matter where you drove them...............kinda lucky in some ways I guess.

If I had a big stash of the older generation bullets, I probably would drag out a 10 twist Shilen from under the couch. If was buying new Vmax etc etc, I would go with a 9 or better..........mainly the 9; unless I really got funky and needed a twist for #2 pencils.

So as usual, everything boils down to environment.
Old 09-02-2019, 12:32 AM
Supporting Member

The very early 17 Remington rifles introduced by Remington in 1971 had 10" twist barrels. Early on, Remington realized that the 10" twist was marginal with available bullets at the time, and they soon went to 1-9" twist barrels. I bought my first 700 BDL 17 Remington in late 1973 and it came with a 1-9" twist barrel.

I've only owned one 10" twist 17 Remington rifle; a Cooper MTV in 17 Remington. It is marginal with 25 grain Hornady HP bullets but it shoots 20 grain V-Max bullets extremely well. It pukes on 25 gran V-Max bullets. The roughly 14 other 17 Remington rifles that I own/owned are/were all 9" twist rifles.

Overall bullet length is what determines whether a bullet and barrel twist are compatible. Longer bearing surfaces on bullets generally goes hand in hand with OAL bullet length. Bullet speed can cause some bullets to stabilize in a marginal barrel at maybe 100 yards, but in those cases the bullet generally becomes unstable at extended ranges (ie. 200 yards and further) much quicker/at lesser distances than a bullet that is not marginal in the same barrel.

Altitude also plays a role in bullet stability and barrel twist rates in marginal twist barrels. As stated at the link provided below, "Further complicating matters is that all of this depends on air density, which is in turn dependent on things like altitude, temperature, and humidity. Lower air density means greater stability. Think of it this way - there is less air to cause the bullet to tumble. So it's possible to have a bullet shoot well at high altitude, but tumble at sea level."

https://bisonballistics.com/articles/bullet-stability

-BCB

Women and cats will do as they please. Men and dogs should relax and just get used to the idea.

Going keyboard postal over something that you read on the internet is like seeing a pile of dog crap on the sidewalk and choosing to step in it rather than stepping around it.

Old 09-02-2019, 01:16 AM

I would not use a new 1-10 barrel on a .17 with what is available for bullets. I find it hard to believe the 1/9 will be less accurate with any bullet or a noticeable velocity drop. Why risk it.
Old 09-02-2019, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Will a 10 twist barrel stabilize a 17 cal. 25 grain bullet?

Thx,

Jordan
YES...the 25gr bullet will stabilize very well.
Despite all the long winded replies you've gotten.
Old 09-02-2019, 08:24 AM

I have a Sako A1 in 17 Rem with a 1 in 10 twist. It will not stabilize 25 gn 17 VMAX. But it does shoot 20gn VMAX very well.

Pete
Old 09-02-2019, 09:50 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by moorepower View Post
I would not use a new 1-10 barrel on a .17 with what is available for bullets. I find it hard to believe the 1/9 will be less accurate with any bullet or a noticeable velocity drop. Why risk it.
This...........^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ In spades.

What Pete has seen is typical, and far more the rule than an exception with 10" twist barrels.

-BCB